Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2008 08:31 pm
Like most computers, my machine's digital clock resets itself automatically at midnight on the appropriate date. However, my ole HP 'puter is more than three years old. Hence, if I ain't careful and trust what it says in the bottom right hand corner of my screen, I'm a-gonna be an hour late for every appointment. Just noticed that. Anyone else have this problem with Daylight Savings Time having become standard time for all practical purposes?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 2,364 • Replies: 14
No top replies

margo

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2008 08:35 pm
@Merry Andrew,
Andrew - I want you to understand - computers are out to get you.

DO NOT TRUST THEM. They lie; They're sneaky; they try to lead you astray!

<anyone suspect my paranoia??>
Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2008 08:39 pm
@margo,
I've been aware of this for some time now, margo. Particularly the lying part. At times I've been told I've no new messages when my mailbox is full to overflowing.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2008 12:10 am
@margo,
Quote:
computers are out to get you

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee119/curtis1552/HAL9000.jpg
"Quite honestly, I wouldn't worry myself about that."
0 Replies

MagicBlackCat

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 01:14 pm
"Open the pod bay doors Hal..."
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 01:23 pm
Since they started using more arbitrary dates for when DST begins and ends, and it is no longer is a fixed weekend n the Spring and Fall, I don't trust Microsoft to reset my computer when the time changes anymore. So we'll get up Sunday morning looking blankly at all the clocks on the walls, radios, night stand, digital HD TV, stove, microwave, coffee pot, etc., including those on the computer, wondering if we've reset them yet or still need to.

(Also hunting up directions on how to do that on some of them)

I wish to hell they'd pick a time and then leave it alone.

Meanwhile we gotta stick together against predatory computers. . . .

http://comps.fotosearch.com/comp/ART/ART256/evil-computer_~SLV019.jpg

0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 02:24 pm
I'm still trying to figure out why they keep calling it "standard time" when it's only observed nowadays for -- what? -- three months or so? So-called daylight saving time has become the standard norm in the US.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 02:29 pm
@Merry Andrew,
In Arizona, we do not change our clocks this weekend.
Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 02:40 pm
@Ticomaya,
I know. It's one of a number of things I like about your state, Tico. Might retire there someday, who knows.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 02:44 pm
@Ticomaya,
Ticomaya wrote:

In Arizona, we do not change our clocks this weekend.

You don't, but the Navajo/Hopi reservations do. I don't travel all that much any more, but it made it really interesting figuring out appointment schedules when I worked over there.
Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 02:55 pm
@Foxfyre,
When you're dealing with either the Navajo or the Hopi, an hour or two one way or the other doesn't really matter much when it comes to appointments. Smile
(I don't mean this to sound critical in any sense, btw. The Native sense of time and punctuality is simply quite different from us belagona.)
flyboy804

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 04:03 pm
@Merry Andrew,
My VCR went to EST last Sunday. I assume it will make no adjustment this Sunday and everything will be O.K. I must stay alert for next March when DST comes back.
Foxfyre

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 04:14 pm
@Merry Andrew,
Merry Andrew wrote:

When you're dealing with either the Navajo or the Hopi, an hour or two one way or the other doesn't really matter much when it comes to appointments. Smile
(I don't mean this to sound critical in any sense, btw. The Native sense of time and punctuality is simply quite different from us belagona.)

Perhaps. But I've found Navajo and Hopi business owners to be mostly courteous, punctual, and prepared when they've had appointments with me. I rather thought I should probably know what time I needed to be there. Smile
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 08:36 pm
@flyboy804,
You must have a new-ish model, flyboy. My 'puter is several years old, born before they switched dates on dst.
flyboy804

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2008 03:07 pm
@Merry Andrew,
No, not so new. It was programmed to switch back to standard time on the last sunday in October, which it did. It wasn't until this year that the change takes place on the first sunday in November.
0 Replies