Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2008 08:01 am
WASHINGTON " First there was Joe the Plumber. Is Joe the Hothead next?

Joe McCain said Friday he'll withdraw from campaign activities for his brother, GOP presidential nominee John McCain, after calling 911 to angrily complain about traffic. Joe McCain has apologized for making the call.

The candidate's younger brother, who lives in Alexandria, Va., told Washington radio station WTOP he was returning from a campaign event in Philadelphia around 2 a.m. on Oct. 18 when he got stuck in traffic on Interstate 495 at the Wilson Bridge. Police say the call was made about 1:30 a.m. Oct. 21.

Frustrated because of the traffic, Joe McCain called 911 to find out what was going on. The operator asked him to "state your emergency."

"Well, it's not an emergency, but do you know why on one side at the damn drawbridge of 95 traffic is stopped for 15 minutes and yet traffic's coming the other way?" Joe McCain said.

The operator asked him if he was calling 911 to complain about traffic. McCain then uttered an expletive (**** you) and hung up the phone.

McCain told WTOP that he thought his cell phone was on mute.

After hanging up with 911, McCain said he called Alexandria police to ask them about the traffic on the bridge and got a similar reaction.

"I did not mean to swear at the officers themselves," McCain said. If he were in their situation, "it would have really frosted me too and I absolutely understand their reaction."

Joe McCain said: "I feel terrible about having hurt the campaign over this incident. I won't be doing any more campaigning because of that." He said he's going to write a note of apology to the 911 operator and to the Alexandria police and he hasn't spoken to his brother, the candidate, about the incident.

"He's not going to be happy about it, I'm sure," Joe McCain said.

McCain campaign spokesman Tucker Bounds said: "Joe McCain recognizes his mistake and has apologized. We are moving on."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 2,239 • Replies: 6
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2008 08:04 am
@dyslexia,
I saw that story. It's another case, of "I'm a big shot. Rules don't apply to me."
Mame

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2008 08:08 am
@dyslexia,
Can't see how that incident can hurt McCain's campaign anymore than what McCain himself has done to it.

Tempest in a teapot.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2008 08:18 am
Sounds like they both got the short temper impatient entitled rudeness gene.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2008 09:59 am
@dyslexia,
I can't see how his brother's actions reflect on John.

Dear God, please don't judge me by the choices my brother has made....
dyslexia

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2008 10:21 am
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

I can't see how his brother's actions reflect on John.

Dear God, please don't judge me by the choices my brother has made....
does your brother work for you?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2008 11:51 am
@edgarblythe,
You know, it's not just a big-shot thing. Or else, even middle class moms and dads consider themselves big shots all the time when they drop their kids off at school.
0 Replies