Anecdote about a singer told she doesn't have what it takes

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2008 12:23 pm
I'm looking for more information about an anecdote I read many years ago, the story went something like this:

An aspiring singer sought a famous instructor for advice and after auditioning asked if she has what it takes to be a great singer. He told her that she didn't and she gave up on her dream.

Years later she ran into him again and asked her if he remembered her, "you told me I didn't have what it takes" she reminded him. He replied that he said that to everyone and she was furious, telling him that he'd ruined her dreams.

His reply was something to the effect that if she let that stop her she really didn't have what it takes.

Anybody know the origin of this anecdote?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 2,915 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2008 01:55 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Don't know the origin but I've heard several versions of it before, sometimes with a different ending where the singer walks off in a huff, becomes a big star, goes back to the maestro to confront him, and he says, "I say that to everybody. And if you hadn't followed your dream in spite of what I said, you'd have proved me right." Or words to that effect.
Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2008 02:05 pm
@Merry Andrew,
I've heard that version told about "Swedish Nightingale" Jenny Lind, but I'm pretty sure it was inaccurate (the connection to Lind).
Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 9 Feb, 2010 10:23 pm
@Robert Gentel,
And if there are others who I might be confusing with Jenny Lind please let me know, I would love to find out more about this anecdote.
0 Replies