The Good Old Days Are About Over

farmerman

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2008 08:58 pm
@Bi-Polar Bear,
Quote:
and I'm not talking about the good old days in the 50's when you could drink water out of the garden hose and hitchhike without fear of being chopped up.

I'm talking about the days of the orgy of consumption, the mall, gas guzzling vehicles, sex without accountability, free range Captialism, and ability to treat the planet as though we were the only country on it that mattered, ez credit and probably even the ability to speak our mind anytime and anywhere without fear.

It was great to live my entire life in those times and i will treasure every last moment of it as those times wind down.

JMO.

Drinkin forty six gallons from a garden line

hitchin a ride and not worryin about dyin

Those were the times I derly loved

.....yada yada yada

I see a song that only you can pen there Bear. Work on it, it could be your CW debut.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2008 05:00 am
This is really a thread about the complaints of old people.

The 1950's weren't, in any objective way, "better" than the 2000's or the 1990's or the 1980's. In many ways they were worse, from racial injustice, to life expectancy and medicine, to food safety, they were worse.

... and of course the older people of the 1950's were complaining about how bad things had gotten since the 1920's.

And in not too long a time, 2008 will be fondly remembered as the good old days by our aging grandchildren.
mismi

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2008 06:24 am
@ebrown p,
I like your perspective ebrown. I do believe it is true.

Media also plays a part (as Bear said) in causing more hysteria. I do believe that sometimes they can make it worse. It is hard to sort what is for ratings and what is true.
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2008 06:42 am
@Bi-Polar Bear,
I want you around healthy and happy for ever… I'm just saying, this could make a damn fine eulogy.

0 Replies

Cliff Hanger

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2008 12:18 pm
@Bi-Polar Bear,
Quote:
I'm talking about the days of the orgy of consumption, the mall, gas guzzling vehicles, sex without accountability, free range Captialism, and ability to treat the planet as though we were the only country on it that mattered, ez credit and probably even the ability to speak our mind anytime and anywhere without fear.

Call me glass half-empty on the consumption part (the building of new Starbucks and Home Depots are only temporarily coming to a halt. People will shop less until the economy's on the upswing again, then they'll go back to their old habits)

I am half-full about America starting to act as if other countries matter.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2008 12:38 pm
@Cliff Hanger,
I'm still half full about America too! After all, we're only five percent of the world population, and we effect the whole world in what we do.
0 Replies