Former MI5 chief: Response to 9/11 was 'huge overreaction'

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2008 10:53 am
@ehBeth,
Quote:

Just wait til Sarah Palin's president. All Christian, all the time.
Gonna be fun. Christians love rules. Rules for everybody.

Did she say something in particular
that moved u to that opinion ?
Its not like we were electing Pat Robertson.

I consider myself essentially a Christian,
but I am anti-theocratic.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2008 10:54 am
@Bi-Polar Bear,
Quote:
the United States is full of people who attend Christian churches... the United States is VERY low on people who live the Christian faith

This is a very unoriginal statement, the point has been made often by observers over the last 30 years. There is a broad sense in the masses that they are Christian, but the Christianity is so superficial that it is insignificant. Usually at best Christians are Christian for about two hours on Sunday morning, but even that low threshold is becoming increasingly rarely met.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2008 10:59 am
@Walter Hinteler,
I thought the reaction was inadequate myself. I'd have nuked Mecca and Medina, and announced a planet-wide ban on the practice of I-slam the next day.
gungasnake

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2008 11:01 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
the nation is on the verge of becoming repoed, by the Asians and the petrol states...

The federal government can only declare bankruptcy once. After that, the practice of borrowing or printing money to buy demoKKkrat votes will come to a grinding halt.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2008 11:03 am
@gungasnake,
there is a psychiatric term for individuals who have a delusional sense of their abilities, it applies to nations as well.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2008 11:07 am
@gungasnake,
the federal government can declare bankruptcy in American courts maybe, but that would be irrelevant. Foreign societies would hold the American people accountable for our debts regardless. We will need to sell our businesses and real estate in order to settle the claim.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2008 11:21 am
@gungasnake,
Quote:

I thought the reaction was inadequate myself.

When I agreed that there was an overrecaction among
the citizens, I meant that thay got all flustered,
out of proportion to reality, as if another asteroid had hit us again.
The Moslems only wrecked 3 buildings. I lost a friend in there.
The loss of life was less than our annual losses on the highways from collisions.
My ex-girlfriend far out on Long Island, in Suffolk County
was all upset, as if lightning had struck right next to her.
I went to court out in Hempstead, in Nassau County,
and thay had mounted a sentry whose duty it was to
walk around the perimeter of their little courthouse all day
(reminded me of Barney Fife with his bullet in his gun),
as if the Moslems were going to hi jack another plane and crash it into it.

Quote:

I'd have nuked Mecca and Medina, and announced
a planet-wide ban on the practice of I-slam the next day.

I believe that W shoud have told them that:
"we know where u live" and any additional attacks
will result in nuking one of those cities
and any retaliation will result in nuking the other one.
We have the Moslems at a disadvantage,
in that their religion is based in large part on KNOWN GEOGRAFY.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2008 11:25 am
Quote:
Study Questions Cost of Efforts to Fight Terrorism
Economist to Present Results at Prestigious Copenhagen Consensus Meeting
May 21, 2008

Since 9/11, annual global spending to combat terrorism has increased by about $70 billion, but according to a new study led by UT Dallas economist Todd Sandler, governments have gotten very little in return.

Sandler worked with Daniel Arce, also an economist from the UT Dallas School of Economic, Political and Public Policy, and Walter Enders from the University of Alabama, to compute the cost benefits for five approaches used to fight transnational terrorism.

Their calculations accounted for changes in GDP, the value of lives lost or injured, the costs of increased homeland security and proactive, offensive measures.

The Copenhagen Consensus studies global problems and priorities.
This study, the first of its kind, was commissioned by the Copenhagen Consensus, an international project to weigh the costs and benefits of different solutions to the world’s biggest problems and to identify whether the current global priorities are the right ones.

The research found that increasing homeland security worldwide by 25 percent resulted in a payback of about 30 cents on a dollar.

Increased offensive measures, like those against the Taliban after 9/11, had a payback of 8 to 12 cents on a dollar. The biggest benefits came from increased cooperation among police forces and governments. This approach paid back $5 to $15 per dollar spent, depending on cost assumptions.

“The most effective solutions are the cheapest, but they must overcome the greatest obstacles that require either greater international cooperation or more sensitive and farsighted policymaking,” said Dr. Sandler, who is the Vibhooti Shukla Professor of Economics and Political Economy at UT Dallas.

Sandler will present the study’s findings at the 2008 Copenhagen Consensus May 26 and 27. He will join colleagues from Harvard, Oxford and Cornell, and more than 55 international economists, including four Nobel laureates, in addressing 10 of the world’s biggest challenges and assessing more than 50 solutions.

Sandler will argue that global priorities in combating terrorism need to be rethought. “There’s no panacea for terrorism, and that’s scary, but we shouldn’t allow fear to distract us from the best ways to respond to this threat,” said Sandler.

http://www.utdallas.edu/news/2008/05/21-002.php

Let's not even talk about the estimated long term cost of our Iraq action so far being $1.5 ++ trillion, and going up the longer we stay!
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2008 11:32 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
Foreign societies would hold the American people accountable for our debts regardless.

You clearly have not read what Jefferson wrote about debt.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2008 11:37 am
@gungasnake,
it does not matter, foreign people will not trade with us if we can not be counted on to pay our debts. After our failure to pay would need to pay up front for each transaction, in someone else's coin, to get product.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2008 12:46 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
By Blaine Harden
Washington Post Foreign Service
Sunday, October 19, 2008; Page A01

TOKYO -- Kotaro Tamura, an investment banker turned Japanese lawmaker, has an immodest proposal for healing the sick global economy, making all Japanese richer and compelling the United States to be more deferential toward Japan.

"We are in a special position because we have huge money," Tamura said, referring to about $950 billion in government foreign reserves, $1.5 trillion in public pension funds and $15 trillion in personal financial assets, about $8 trillion of which is on deposit at shockingly low interest rates in Japanese banks.

"We should send the signal that we are ready to save the world with this money," he said in an interview.

Tamura leads a group of 65 lawmakers from the ruling Liberal Democratic Party who have proposed to Prime Minister Taro Aso that Japan treat the global financial meltdown "as a huge opportunity for us."

They are urging the government to inject some of its abundant cash into troubled U.S. and European banks, in return for equity, and to purchase distressed corporate assets at fire-sale prices.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/10/18/AR2008101800820.html?hpid=topnews
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2008 01:58 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

Just wait til Sarah Palin's president. All Christian, all the time. Gonna be fun. Christians love rules. Rules for everybody.

yeah. the islamic fundis call the rules "sharia law". wonder what their christian counterparts in america will call it?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2008 05:45 pm
@DontTreadOnMe,
Yeah,
I remember hearing, before W overthrew the Taliban,
how, for a religious infraction a Moslem was flayed
and buried alive; I gotta believe that must sting,
with the dirt falling on your unprotected where your skin used to be.

Don 'tcha think ?
spendius

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2008 05:53 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
It's necessary to eradicate that sort of thing to be able to fully enjoy the benfits of our way of life. One cannot possibly think one has anything in common with people who do that sort of thing.
spendius

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2008 05:57 pm
@spendius,
Forget the DNA.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2008 06:08 pm
@spendius,
Quote:

It's necessary to eradicate that sort of thing
to be able to fully enjoy the benfits of our way of life.

Well, maybe that 's what W is trying to do; I dunno.
I don 't think we can kill ALL the Moslems; seems a little brutal, anyway.
I withdrew my support of the war in Iraq,
as of when we captured Saddam.

Quote:

One cannot possibly think one has anything in common
with people who do that sort of thing.

True.
My ex-law partner maintained that the Enlightenment
never made its way that far East.
spendius

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2008 06:12 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
It might do if we keep our nerve.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2008 06:26 pm
@spendius,
What do u think of the wars in Iraq and in Afganistan ?
JTT

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2008 08:01 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
They aren't wars, Spendi. They're illegal invasions. The Taliban are retaking Afghanistan. Karzai will soon be moving to the US.

The Coalition of the Chickenshits will never be able to get out of the Green Zone.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2008 08:04 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
I went to court out in Hempstead, in Nassau County,
and thay had mounted a sentry whose duty it was to
walk around the perimeter of their little courthouse all day
(reminded me of Barney Fife with his bullet in his gun),
as if the Moslems were going to hi jack another plane and crash it into it.

This is precisely the kind of stupidity that shows just how badly the USA overreacted.
0 Replies