Insane Bicycle Trials Video

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2008 07:45 am
His name is Danny Macaskill. He has some amazing skill. In this video he is riding a trials bike, but is just playing around doing tricks in the streets. Its actually more of a flatland trick video then it is a trials video, but the balance skills transfer over, so whatever. Watch and be amazed.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,532 • Replies: 10
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2008 10:51 am
@Nick Ashley,
Nimble fellow.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2008 12:43 pm
@Nick Ashley,
I watched. I was amazed. Could we substitute this for men's gymnastics in the olympics.

How's that work, Nick? He coasts like it's got a freewheel, yet I swear he was pedaling backwards (not just spinning)

Now, go back and notice something else. The Pedestrians. They're wandering around like they don't see a thing out of the ordinary.
Nick Ashley

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2008 02:12 pm
@roger,
It works like a normal bicycle. If the tires are rolling forward, there is a freewheel so that the pedals don't need to be moving (or can be spinning backwards). However, the freewheel only works going forwards. If the freewheel worked both ways, then there would be no way to transfer power to the wheel.

Therefore, any time he his coasting backwards, he needs to be backpedaling to prevent the back wheel from locking up. This actually makes it significantly harder. When I used to own a bmx bike as a kid, I could do a 180 and coast backwards by standing on the pegs. However, with my feet on the pedals, I could only coast backwards a half foot or so, and either the back tire would lock up, or I would lose my balance from trying to pedal backwards.

It is easier to keep your balance pedaling forwards, because there is resistance from the wheel. Pedaling backwards there is no resistance, so if you are standing on the pedals (as you always do in trials, notice the bike has no seatpost) you have to use your muscles to pedal smoothly.

It is odd that the pedestrians don't seem to care. Maybe they see him as some young punk hoodlum, like how many see skateboarders.
roger

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2008 02:37 pm
@Nick Ashley,
Interesting. I didn't know that because I never rode backwards. Never will, on purpose. I did see a video of someone riding backwards on a fixed gear.

Could be. I love to watch the skateboarders. Grace, power, and you don't need a team. They can be a rowdy bunch, though.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2008 09:06 pm
More often than not, this is usually the result of such trickery:

Not to take anything away from Macaskill, he's got some mad skills, but the tricks were edited together. He had to have attempted some of those tricks more than once to pull them off. But still, his kinesthesia is superior.
roger

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2008 09:59 pm
@InfraBlue,
kinesthesia Now, why can I not remember that word when I need it. Just as important as balance. I'm okay on balance, terrible with kinesthesia.
NickFun

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2008 10:17 pm
@roger,
Ah yes! Kinesthesia! That's what I need! Kinesthesia
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2008 02:51 am
@Nick Ashley,

To make that street furniture (high-quality stone masonry, steps, walls, ornaments) takes a lot of money and skill. Craftsmanship. And represents civic pride.

Any younsters playing with their bikes and skateboards on it, should have their bikes and skateboards collected and crushed.
I've seen the damage skateboard do to stone installations, and it is considerable.

Kids even play on war memorials. They shouldn't. They should be taught the value of these things, and their parents should be fined to offset the damage they do.
Nick Ashley

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2008 02:13 pm
@McTag,
First off, its not just kids that do this. I am part of an organization of trials riders (along with my dad) and the age ranges from probably about 8 to 60.

It doesn't always do damage, so please don't lump everyone together. In the video I posted, the only thing that could be considered damaging is when he hops on the chain. Skateboarding often does not cause ANY damage, just like riding a bicycle does no damage. Grinding the trucks on things, however, does cause damage. And I agree there should be fines for doing so. Not having their personal property destroyed, however.

People who treat kids playing on their bikes/skateboards as criminals should be fined for the damage they do to the kids.
Nick Ashley

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2008 02:17 pm
@Nick Ashley,
Let me add to my thoughts by saying the crime should be punished, nothing else. In this case, the crime is damaging property. If I damage it via a bicycle, skateboard, or sledge hammer, it shouldn't matter. I should be fined based on the severity of the damage I caused. However, it should not be against the law for me to ride a bicycle, ride a skateboard, or walk down the street holding a sledge hammer.
0 Replies