'Western man has stopped evolving'

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2008 09:24 pm
'Western man has stopped evolving'

Quote:
Man in the developed world has stopped evolving, a British genetics expert has said, because they no longer have to struggle to survive an
d natural selection does not come into play any more.

Going by his argument, any hopes of man evolving into something other than the current human state are left with the developing world, where tools of evolution are not thwarted in the absence of modern medi-care and higher standards of living.

Steve Jones, head of the department of genetics, evolution and environment at the University College London, says the forces driving evolution - such as natural selection and genetic mutation - no longer play an important role in our lives.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 11 • Views: 2,823 • Replies: 24

Rockhead

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2008 09:27 pm
@Robert Gentel,
he needs to visit the south side of chicago...

(or even KC)
patiodog

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2008 09:36 pm
@Rockhead,
There's plenty of genetic mutation in New Jersey. If only we could bring the populations subject to genetic mutation and to natural selection together...
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2008 10:09 pm
Evolution continues apace.

http://www.hsegroup.com/hse/images/cowboy.gif
0 Replies

generaljin

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2008 01:38 am
@Robert Gentel,
O, man in the developed country is stopping evolving,but i think in the developed country is still evolving! do you thins so?
Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2008 01:45 am
@generaljin,
I think people in developed countries continue to evolve. Technology has an impact on evolution, but it can't stop it.
generaljin

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2008 01:53 am
@Robert Gentel,
i dont think Technology is a factor of evolution. i think man in developing countries must evolve faster than who in developed country.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2008 02:27 am
Could anyone even recognize evolution while it were happening? It's not as though we're going to sprout an extra arm to handle a coffee cup while working the keyboard. Suppose some have a better tolerance for dirty air than others. If that tolerance is passed from generation to generation, are you just going to call it luck?
patiodog

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2008 06:12 am
@roger,
The argument (I'm sure, without bothering to click the link) is that without selective pressure there is no evolution. In the Western World, except for severe deformity there are virtually no impediments to procreation. Almost everyone reaches adulthood, almost everyone is capable of reproduction. Not saying I buy it, but I'll bet dollars to donuts that that's the contention.

Now, when I was getting my biological precepts poured into my head, evolution was defined as "change in frequency of alleles in a population over time." Given global travel, varying reproduction rates between populations, mixing of previously isolated ethnic groups -- and the inevitability of ongoing mutation -- there must be new alleles coming about and changes in their distribution throughout human populations, so based on this definition evolution must be ongoing...
Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2008 06:31 am
@roger,
Right on, Roger, right on. You too, patiodog.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2008 06:40 am
according to esoteric philosophies in nine thousand years when the planets align with the sphinx again all matter will return to pure thought in the mind of God anyway and the cycle will restart so why worry? Nine thousand years is just around the corner....
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2008 06:45 am
With evolution in the title of this thread, I'm shocked -- shocked, I tell ya -- that none of our gang of creationists has shown up here yet.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2008 06:46 am
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:

he needs to visit the south side of chicago...

(or even KC)

Are we talking evolution or devolution? Smile

I believe that even with technology and medical discoveries there is evolution taking place. I don't have facts, just observations, such as fewer children today having wisdom teeth or only one or two wisdom teeth. Would have to look up if there are stats on that.

Also, at one time I heard fewer people are being born with an appendix. There are likely changes to our insides that are less obvious for now.

How far back does "Western Man" go? We have gotten taller than or founding fathers, right? Were't the bed shorter a hundred years ago?

DrewDad

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2008 07:11 am
@squinney,
That's because of better nutrition, and medical care.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2008 07:26 am
The superficial discrediting of the science of astrology is due to this very principle as I explained long ago on the Questions Game.

Mr Jones must have become desperate for publicity to bring up this mouldy old chestnut. It just shows how stuck in a groove some so-called scientists are.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2008 11:49 am
@patiodog,
I need a lot of motivation to click one of these slow loading links, too.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2008 01:41 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Not evolution, but grotesque deformaties politically are appearing amongst the far left. Well, maybe it's a bit physical deformation too....
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2008 03:18 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Interesting POV.
spendius

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2008 05:23 pm
@littlek,
Interesting!!?? It was in the comics at least 50 years ago. It was in the Cadbury's Smash ad as well.
littlek

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2008 05:47 pm
@spendius,
I said interesting, not novel. What crawled up your patoot?