Nebraska's Safe-Haven Law

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 06:05 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Seems like a fine law to me. Kids don't belong with parents who don't want them, and I think it's a fine idea to provide an safety net for the children's sake.

Nebraska, seems as good of spot as any... but I'd like to see it happen in all 50 states. I know people fear the separation issue; but I've always thought the Catholic Church was well suited for this kind of thing.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 06:07 pm
@Diane,
Diane wrote:
The story about Nebraska's poorly written law is only a small example of what happens to children when they are no longer wanted.

Anyone consider the possibility that the law was intentionally written to encourage out-of-state parents to abandon their kids in Nebraska? I mean, how else are they going to convince anyone to move there?
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 06:16 pm
@joefromchicago,
You got a point, Joe.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 07:36 pm
Meeting in a special session this week, Nebraska lawmakers limited their controversial safe haven law to cover only infants up to 30 days old. So-called safe haven laws try to prevent babies from being abandoned by allowing people to leave them in a safe place without fear of prosecution. But Nebraska's law, passed last spring, contained no age limit, which led to some unexpected " and unwelcome " results.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2008 12:04 am
I find the topic interesting, i just haven't commented because i have no solution to offer.
0 Replies