Girls are easy, but what do boys want?

Mon 13 Oct, 2008 10:01 am
I have numerous nieces who are now (almost) adults, the next generation in my family is coming in male. I never had a problem picking gifts for girls, but what does a two or three year old little boy want? What's a good birthday gift for a boy that age, or should I just get the hardworking parents a gift certificate for food or household goods?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 20 • Views: 8,459 • Replies: 52
Topic Closed

mismi

Mon 13 Oct, 2008 10:26 am
@Green Witch,
Anything Thomas the Tank Engine would work for boys that are 2 or 3 years old. Things vary in price. You can buy many things that should suit them..

here's a link
http://www.toysrus.com/shop/index.jsp?categoryId=2274251
nimh

Mon 13 Oct, 2008 10:30 am
My nephew loved toy cars or anything you can careen across the room - you just have to find big ones (without separate parts) at that age.
0 Replies

mismi

Mon 13 Oct, 2008 10:31 am
@mismi,
The Little People Garage was also something the boys enjoyed when they were around 2 and 3 years old.

I am still trying to remember Green Witch - may be back with more
0 Replies

Green Witch

Mon 13 Oct, 2008 10:44 am
@mismi,
Mismi, I know you qualify as the little boy expert around here and I was looking at Thomas the Tank at Target. I've seen them around and think they are sweet. I assume the manufacturers have literally got the lead out by now. Prices do vary a lot and I think I will have to check with the parents to find out what they might already have. They don't have a TV, but I'm sure they know the products.

Nimh, yes, things that go are good. I did have a problem finding such things without the warning about giving them to children under 3. I'll have to look around for soft or solid construction.
OmSigDAVID

Mon 13 Oct, 2008 10:51 am
@Green Witch,
Maybe "action figures" dolls ?
I heard thay were popular.

At that age, maybe some imitation guns,
that will display imitated functionality as well as possible
to genuine functional weapons. I used to like that.
I remember an imitation Thompson Submachinegun that shot harmless sparks I got.

Quote:
should I just get the hardworking parents a gift certificate for food or household goods?

That woud not go over well at all, with the kid, I predict.
Save that for parents' anniversary.
I have not yet forgotten my father having embezzled
several hundred $$ from me when I was 8,
tho well over half a century had passed.
I challenged him on it, in later years,
but not enuf to pry it loose, but I did not follow thru.
A gift for the kid belongs to and with the kid.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Mon 13 Oct, 2008 11:01 am
@Green Witch,
Quote:

They don't have a TV,
but I'm sure they know the products.

There 's your answer:
get him an HDTV with a large screen maybe 6 or 7 feet.

Samsung is good. I recommend it.
I told my friend, Marty, over dinner:
" u don 't look as real as my HDTV."
Foxfyre

Mon 13 Oct, 2008 11:08 am
@Green Witch,
Gift certificates for three year olds are not as satisfying to the kid because they do not have an inate sense of value at that age and therefore can't anticipate being able to 'spend' the gift certificate like an older child can.

But yes, little boys are enthralled with anything mechanical. Age appropriate electronic games are usually good or any form of toy car, truck, firetruck, etc. My great nephews love the toys that morph into other things--do they still make gobots?
0 Replies

roger

Mon 13 Oct, 2008 11:13 am
@OmSigDAVID,
If they don't have television, please don't "help" them.
dagmaraka

Mon 13 Oct, 2008 11:15 am
@Green Witch,
I always liked to be the good aunt who got something fun and something edumacational. Luckily my nephew always loved encyclopedias and also games of all sorts - puzzles, quizzes, that kinda stuff... Something interactive that engages the parent or someone else, too.
dyslexia

Mon 13 Oct, 2008 11:16 am
@roger,
roger wrote:

If they don't have television, please don't "help" them.
exactly
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Mon 13 Oct, 2008 11:18 am
@Green Witch,
builder stuff... fisher price tool sets and tool belts.... basic building kits they can put together and take apart. Keep it simple...you want them engaged, not frustrated.
mismi

Mon 13 Oct, 2008 11:31 am
@Bi-Polar Bear,
Bob the Builder is a good one too Green Witch - I agree with Bear - my boys love to pretend they are building...

Here is a Target link of the different things offered.
http://www.target.com/gp/search/602-7253488-3612656?field-keywords=bob%20the%20builder%20tools&afid=google&CPNG=Toys&LNM=bob_the_builder_tools&LID=4060646&ref=tgt_adv_XSGT0099

Also - Discovery Toys takes Dagmaraka's suggestion with being fun and educational. It has a place where you can choose age appropriate toys...some are quite pricey.
https://www.discoverytoyslink.com/ecommerce/control/category?PURCHASE_STATE=STANDARD&category_id=T_TOYS_AGE_18MOS
0 Replies

Green Witch

Mon 13 Oct, 2008 11:35 am
TV is not going to happen, the mother is a teacher in a Waldorf school. Guns would also not be welcome, although some of my family is pro-hunting, guns are never presented as a toy- anymore than a chainsaw would be.

I only thought of the gift certificate because at such a young age I believe the child would not notice one less gift and the parents bought a house last year. I did give them house gift, but I thought they might be more in need of a little extra than the child.

I think the consensus is something that moves or can be used to make something - all good with me and probably with the parents. I'll check out your links Mismi.

Bella Dea

Mon 13 Oct, 2008 11:40 am
http://www.onestepahead.com/home.jsp?siteId=118

Check out this site. I love looking for ideas here.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Mon 13 Oct, 2008 11:42 am
What about this? And some toy cars to go with it?

http://www.onestepahead.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=634&parentCategoryId=85191&categoryId=85258&subCategoryId=86275
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Mon 13 Oct, 2008 11:42 am
Or this?

http://www.onestepahead.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=255760&parentCategoryId=85191&categoryId=85258&subCategoryId=86275
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Mon 13 Oct, 2008 11:45 am
Not sure where they live but this is cool.

http://www.onestepahead.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=131&parentCategoryId=85190&categoryId=85260&subCategoryId=86284
0 Replies

Linkat

Mon 13 Oct, 2008 11:52 am
I think there are alot of good ideas - I love giving building toys - blocks (just make sure they are age appropriate) - increases the imagination and helps them develop math skills.

Another thing boys seem to love besides cars and trucks is dinosaurs - there are tons of different dinosaur toys out there - we just recently gave a big action figure dinosaur to a 6 year old and he loved it.
Linkat

Mon 13 Oct, 2008 11:59 am
@Green Witch,
Little girls, what else?