MAC OR PC FOR PICTURE EDITING???

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2008 10:10 am
Im using a PC and am not even halfway home to be facile with Photoshop. The other day I went to the "Apple Orchard" over near Lancaster and was really amazed at how easy and intuitive the iPHOTO program is and how easy the MAc is to use.
NOW, is there a way that I can use a MAca and still conduct my normal work that I do with a PC(processing, pdfs, math models, ROCKWARE , etc)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 2,475 • Replies: 9
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2008 10:18 am
@farmerman,
My wife is also interested in getting an Apple computer, because she's heard from friends they are much easier to use. I tried to do some research on the internet, and found a desktop called the "mini," but you also need to get a monitor and mouse for it.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2008 10:45 am
@farmerman,
There's no reason in the world anyone HAS to switch from Mac to a pc or vice versa. If you're already using PC, then stay witgh it. For the last 5-7 yrs , PC and and Adobe Photoshop do well together for production or indivudual editing. In the old days, Mac was preferred by many college user (universitys often got it for free or bif discount. Academic and graphic communities were sold on them...they were the easiest to use and they all knew the icon-driven ease.

With that being said, Mac still has an ease of use, and the process of monitor calibration and consistency of final print's results are still a little easier with Mac. However, I've been printing with my PC system for 6 out of the last 10 yrs with no issues. I've a monitor calibration, printer calibration that is consistant that doesn't cause a lot of wasted $$$ or time. That is what to watch for and strive for with PC.

On the Mac side, you can even toggle back and forth from Ma Os to PC..so it's somewhat irrelavant what OS you use to get your results. It really is up to your preference. Don't be swayed by MAC zealots or PC zealots. Both can be used effectively. the tools are a means to an end that shoulsd serve your own work style.
rosborne979

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2008 10:48 am
@farmerman,
Hi FM, I started out using PC's and worked with them for over 15 years (I was a Microsoft CNE for a while there), but ever since MAC came out with OSX (a proper UNIX based Kernel) I have preferred MAC's.

MAC's are far more stable, elegant and intuitive (they also retain their value better). The only advantage PC's have is that a majority of software is written for them.

None the less, MAC's have all the standard business and productivity software that PC's have (the major MS Office Applications are all ported to MAC).

When surfing the web on a MAC you sometimes run into a movie file or something which requires an MS program to view, but there are usually free downloads for the MAC which will handle almost everything (one notable exception being the new SPORE Game, which doesn't yet have a version which runs on the old (non Pentium) architecture of MAC's).

*IF* you have a particular program which you need (such as the math modeler and ROCKWARE programs you mentioned), then you should make sure there are versions of those programs which run on MAC.

Bottom line is that MAC's are as good, or better than PC's for a vast majority of applications. However, there are a few specific programs which happen to exist only for PC's, and if you happen to need one of those....

0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2008 10:51 am
@Ragman,
Ragman, I believe you are correct about switching between the two OSs, but my wife can't seem to "remember" what I tell her from one boot up to the next with our PCs - even after I write instructions for her. I want her to go to a Apple store and play around with their computer to see if it is easier for her before buying one. We've been at this for several decades, and she still asks questions.
Ragman

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2008 11:39 am
@cicerone imposter,
CI...yes, true. Often times, those raised on Mac find their comfort zone and can't (or won't) toggle their brain and their preferences back and forth. Hence my advice to "stay with the one that brung you to the dance". The issue can be made for the (Mac) hardware/sw or OS itself being less prone to crashes.

I won't even begin to address PC and Vista OS issues. I'd never switch to a PC Vista system. I'm a former hardware technical type and from my limited experience and listening to reports about Vista, there are far too many innefficiencies and reliability issues with Vista.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2008 12:07 pm
@Ragman,
I'm not a techie by any sense, but I also came to the same conclusion; will stick with xp.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2008 01:36 pm
Thanks all, I like the variety of opinion and different viewpoints. My big trouble is that I do not wish to invest the damn time needed to get sharp with photoshop. When I went to the Orchard I was up and doing some basic stuff without ANY training. The MAc seems to be like my Canon (I got a CAnon Ragman). It is intuitive and rel easy.
Knowing that the OS can go back and forth to WIndows makes me feel even more confident. Is the going back and forth to windows an uncomplicated event.

My present laptop is dying because the battery doesnt last long after unplugging. I checked the Rockware and geophys equip (GSSI radar and Mt Sopris wireline) all seem to have a version of their softwares for MACS.

Seems like I shouldnt be making more of a big deal out of this than that. Im goin shoppin for An APPLE.

Ragman

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2008 01:54 pm
@farmerman,
On a Mac, with the most recent OS, you can toggle easily. If you're leaning that way, Farmerman, then I see no showstopper. I've recently been on the current Mac OS, and toggled back and forth with ease. Be awarwe there are differences...there are different commands (how to execute), and some processes are done differently (like with files and wastebasket) on PC vs MAC OS...which can be confusing. None are showstoppers.

On a different (repair) issue, if your battery is not holding a charge, that's should be easy and cheap enough to replace. Unless you are not liking your laptop for some other reason.

The key thing is find someone who you know has MAC and is willing to spend time with you..or find a friendly MAC AND PC sales person/expert with the time to show you programs/processes that you SPECIFICALLY want to run.

Yes, do yourself a favor..if you KNOW that your key programs CAN run on both PC and MAC, don't agonize over it. Based on what you've said so far, make the switch. Make sure you have MAC OSX (operating system) so you can have best of both worlds.

Farmerman, good luck and if I can help you in any further way, let me know.
farmerman

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2008 02:57 pm
@Ragman,
Im going to keep my laptop as a house friendly computer. We are wireless and Ill just keep it plugged in. Spending the 175 for a new battery -no thanks , Ill just get a whole new puter instead. This one is actually heavier than Id like for business meetings.
0 Replies