Transportation costs going down

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2008 06:18 am
I never thought I would be happy to see gas at 3.00 a gallon, but there it was ... in all its three dollar glory.. And I was happy. It was like god himself said Let there be cheap gas. HA

I have a feeling it may drop below three dollars a gallon... you think? I mean, in less then two weeks time it went from my area average ( south austin) 3.87 to 3.01.

So my idea is that.. since the cost of transportation/oil is going down, shouldnt we see a drop in prices elsewhere?
Groceries are the first thing that comes to my mind. Most companies said that the reason for a bit higher cost on their items were due to GAS.. well.. gas is cheaper now.. Are we still going to have to be gouged for the product?

Is it because we 'technically' are used to something being more expensive now and pay that cost? and thats why it will remain a three dollar item when it used to be 2.20 or something like that?

Is it the companies that are now used to having that extra 'profit' from those higher prices that are not going to drop it now?
What else can they claim is effecting them that will allow them to raise the cost of things again?
Ar am I just mumbling too much?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 1,475 • Replies: 4
No top replies

squinney

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2008 06:41 am
$3.01????

I had the same thoughts as you on whether or not the cost of food and other items would go down again yesterday when I saw that gas had gone down to $3.65 here. (Raleigh)

Then I said to myself. Naaaay. What a silly thought. Of Course a gallon of milk will remain over $4.50. They'll still say it's because of the cost of corn to feed the cows or something.

We still have empty gas stations here, three weeks after Ike. Don't know why. Haven't heard. But there are 9 stations within a few miles of me that all have their pumps covered for higher octanes. Only regular is available and some still cut you off at $50 whether your tank is full or not.

I'm encouraged that we may get to $3.00, though.
Mame

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2008 08:30 am
@squinney,
Yeah, I don't understand the reason for this, but coffee has doubled in price, other food items have gone up, and now gas here is $1.27/litre (x 4 to approximate a gallon). Good thing I'm spending someone else's money. I do notice that my wine hasn't gone up Smile
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2008 08:54 am
@squinney,
I saw a station this morning at $2.91 after seeing it at $2.99 just yesterday.

Corn is down about 40% from its high as well.
jespah

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2008 05:16 pm
@parados,
I saw $3.05 on Comm. Ave. today.
0 Replies