I Am Sick of This Election

TilleyWink

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2008 02:06 pm
@Phoenix32890,
I am not bored with the election for one reason. Can and will voters put away their hate of black people enough to vote for Obama or will they vote for the to old white guy with PTSD?
Woiyo9

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2008 02:14 pm
@TilleyWink,
What makes you think voters are racist. Apparently, you are.
Foxfyre

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2008 02:17 pm
@Woiyo9,
David Gergen flat out said it yesterday. When asked if it was a done deal that Obama would be President he said "No. Obama is black." (Paraphrased but that is very close.)

You can't get much more blunt than that. And it's almost a given that he (and others) are working on their post mortem columns if Obama should lose. And it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know what their explanation for the loss will be.

And it is THAT kind of stuff that makes me sick of this election more than anything else.
mason738

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2008 02:18 pm
@TilleyWink,
It is clear that the mulatto will win because of the economic problems which, if you know anything about the way Congress has handled the economy in the last twenty years, has blame to go around,
'
But, Tilley Wink--don't delude yourself. Millions of Americans will never accept a LEFTWING LIBERAL MULATTO WITH NO EXPERIENCE to run our country. We will wait and we, like good guerillas, will do everything in our power to end his reign.
0 Replies

Woiyo9

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2008 02:19 pm
@Foxfyre,
I believe that people like Gergan will use that today, so they can bring it back out on Nov 5th if Obama loses.

Most people will vote based on the issues or party affiliation. At least I hope so.
Foxfyre

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2008 02:24 pm
@Woiyo9,
Woiyo9 wrote:

I believe that people like Gergan will use that today, so they can bring it back out on Nov 5th if Obama loses.

Most people will vote based on the issues or party affiliation. At least I hope so.

I would like to hope that most people will vote for the person or party that they think will accomplish the most good or at least do the least harm. I would like to think that we have evolved to the point that we don't judge people by the color of their skin or any other artificial criteria. I would like to think that if Obama loses it will be because people rejected his proposed policies. I would like to think that if McCain loses it would be for the same reason.

Unfortunately the media would never portray it that way no matter what the reality is. Obama will lose because he is black. McCain will lose because people hate George W. Bush.

The Office of the Presidency and what a President is supposed to be will have no bearing on it whatsoever.

Yes, I am sick of this election.
0 Replies

mason738

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2008 02:28 pm
@Foxfyre,
I usually enjoy your posts , Foxfyre, but that is a lot of bunk.

This election isthe MAINLY influenced by the Economy which is tied to BUSH/McCain. Thousands have lost a great deal of money in their accounts and 401K's. Voters are angry and looking for someone to blame. I am sure that yojust rying u are learned enough to know that presidents cannot do very much about the economy except elect a chairman of the FRC and do some bully pulpit work on the side.

McCain did not, in any way cause the economy to tank , but the American people, mainly dimwitted, who know the name of the winner of the latest American Idol contest but cannot tell you the name of their Representative in Congress are concerned with their pocket book and are lashing out.

Gergen is a sly old snake., He is just calling some people racists hoping that those on the borderline will say I am not and because of the economy I will hold my nose and vote for Obama anyway.

But, You know that there will be 40 or 45r Million people who will be enraged that this inexperienced FAR LEFT WING LIBERAL has become president. I don't know about you but my friends and I will do everything we possibly can to stand in the way of his radical proposals.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2008 02:28 pm
@nimh,
Quote:
I'm just not going to tell Bush. I'm, like, only going to tell people about it once I'm elected myself. Wouldnt want Bush to already catch him, that wouldnt be the same.

Bizarroland, indeed, nimh.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2008 02:47 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:
I really should have mentioned a couple of things right off the top here.

First, my mother was a hockey mom.

Second, I know how to get bin Laden. I have a plan for that. Obviously, I can't reveal what it is. But I know how to do it.

Your words would have been far more reassuring if you had addressed us as "my friends" at least 20 times. For future reference:

"My friends, I really should have mentioned a couple of things right off the top here...."

blatham

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2008 02:52 pm
@Debra Law,
I've been practicing that, debra. But it is really tough to get the "fr" sound out with tightly clenched jaws. I don't know how he does it.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2008 02:56 pm
Note the facile dismissal of Gergen in two posts above. Republicans of moderation, education and reason have been defined as outside of "true conservatism".
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2008 03:06 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I echo the general sentiment of this thread. I quit reading political threads, for the most part; I have already voted; just get it over with fer chrissake. I think it only matters margineally which one gets elected. Neither one could possibly be as screwed in the head as Bush. Shewolfnm has said what I believe. I think the government on both national and local level is so out of synch with what is reasonable and good for the nation and the world that it should be totally reorganized - a bloodless revolution. Get the ship of government on keel before it founders completely.
Below viewing threshold (view)
Foxfyre

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2008 03:09 pm
Okay, I just bragged on McGentrix's thread that I don't have anybody on ignore. But Mason's post is so blatantly offensive he deserves the honor of attaining that status.
Ragman

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2008 03:27 pm
@Foxfyre,
I agreee! Unwarranted comments like that are a low blow and just plain scummy. I've added that individual to my ignore list. When it gets THAT personal, it's best for someone who has such a grudge to just not bother posting. It reveals more about that person and having no life and no class.

Gotta love Iggy!

Re the campaign. I pray for the day that the political campaign contribution reform goes into effect where it's only the contributions from taxpayers that allows these candidates to run a campaign and that the season is cut in half timewise.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2008 03:35 pm
Am I sick and tired of this election? You bet your BP! And it really has nothing to do with McCain or Obama or their running mates. This friggin' election, including the primaries, has been going on, it seems, ever since I can remember. Never mind what the candidates say. They're just going to say what a speech-writer prompts them to say, that speech-writer's bon mots having been honed finely by a focus group. And then the media will report...guess what? Not what the candidate said but how much money his camaign has raised in the lasy few days.

"The Obama campaign has already raised $8 million, which puts McCain at a disadvantage."

How's that germane to my making a choice whom to vote for? And the polls! I really don't give a flying fu*k whether soccer moms in Boise, Idaho prefer McCain 7 to 3 or Joe Lumberjack in Maine is planning to vote for Obama. That's their business. Who I vote for is my business. (BTW, thank you, Phoenix, for being tastefully discreet and not answering Soz"s question directly; I don't want to know who you voted for; ain't none of my beeswax.)

Part of the problem, I think, is that a candidate is just that -- a candidate. What either one of them says, in debates or in speeches, is totally meaningless. They can't do anything unless and until they get elected. Once we know who's the man in the Oval Office, politics culd become interesting again. Not now. Not this mega-marathon of a campaign. What they say is largely meaningless because nobody with more than a fifth-grade education believes that they'll be willing or able to keep most of their promises anyway.

Sorry for running off at the mouth. But thank you, Phoenix, for giving me the opportunity to do so.
Ragman

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2008 03:43 pm
@Merry Andrew,
Andrew you said, ""The Obama campaign has already raised $8 million, which puts McCain at a disadvantage."

Perhaps I'm not understanding from where you get that $8m figure. Are you aware that amount is what Obama could raise in a week? They both by now have raised hundreds of millions since the beginning of the campaign.

Otherwise, I'm with you 100%.
Foxfyre

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2008 03:49 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

I echo the general sentiment of this thread. I quit reading political threads, for the most part; I have already voted; just get it over with fer chrissake. I think it only matters margineally which one gets elected. Neither one could possibly be as screwed in the head as Bush. Shewolfnm has said what I believe. I think the government on both national and local level is so out of synch with what is reasonable and good for the nation and the world that it should be totally reorganized - a bloodless revolution. Get the ship of government on keel before it founders completely.

That was Thomas Jefferson's point of view. He thought if any democracy was to prevail, a small revolution would be necessary from time to time.

After the failure of ANY of our duly elected fearless leaders to lead in any constructive way for years now, I think it is time. (No.....if this is being monitored by the Feds....I am NOT advocating any harm to any person or overthrow of the government.) But voting out of office ALL incumbants would sure be a good start.

If we would do that just once, I think the next election wouldn't need a "I am Sick of This Election" thread.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2008 03:58 pm
@Ragman,
No, no, that figure was made up on the spot just to make a point. Substitute any amount you wish -- $700 Billion, for example. My point was that I don't see how a candidate's campaign raising big bucks is of any actual interest to me unless I am actively working in the campaign.
Ragman

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2008 04:00 pm
@Ragman,
A recent news article that DOES figure in with some numbers similar to Andrew's figures shows how much Wall Street ALONE has contributed to the campaigns:

Obama campaign got $9.5 m from Wall Street
to
McCain's Campaign got $5.3 m

source: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/2008/06/30/2008-06-30_barack_obama_has_collected_nearly_twice_-2.html
0 Replies