94 jeep grand cherokee

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2008 03:44 pm
I have a jeep grand cherokee with the 5.7 litter v8. I have been having trouble with the temp gauge going almost all the way to the right and then hear a burst of liquid and the gauge goes back down and then steadily builds back up to very hot again? Also now my oil pressure is going to 0. It will stay at zero almost the whole time im driving and sometimes will rise above zero for a few seconds? Any info on what im looking at would help thanks?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 2,969 • Replies: 22
No top replies

Rockhead

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2008 03:59 pm
@rizzzoth,
Is it full on both anti-freeze and oil?

What you describe is a symptom of low fluid levels.
rizzzoth

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2008 04:11 pm
@Rockhead,
i checked my radiator fluids and I could see the radiator fluid when i remove the cap?
Rockhead

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2008 04:12 pm
@rizzzoth,
What about the overflow bottle. Is it at the proper level?

(see fluid, as in it was ready to run out, or it was in view down a ways...)
rizzzoth

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2008 04:16 pm
@Rockhead,
the fluid was sitting high like about a inch under the cap.
Rockhead

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2008 04:18 pm
@rizzzoth,
And the overflow bottle is functional and full?
rizzzoth

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2008 04:19 pm
@Rockhead,
Im not really too sure about that. the thing is that the temp problem has been for a while now. just recently the oil pressure started going to 0? So i dont know if one problem is the cause of the other or two seperate issues?
NickFun

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2008 04:22 pm
@rizzzoth,
I think you're looking at buying another car. Preferably a hybrid.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2008 04:28 pm
@rizzzoth,
If it has been running hot consistently for a while, the low oil pressure may be a bad sign, as Nick is suggesting.

Are you capable or willing to work on it?
farmerman

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2008 04:48 pm
@rizzzoth,
Ive had a bunch of jeeps and theyre all prone to develop "circulatory" problems, from blown radiators to leaks and also , the ubiquitous " thermostat plaque Stroke". Take out your thermostat and see if it runs cooler. Howver, in those engines YOU DO NEED THE THERMOSTAT since it maintains a Bernoulli that keeps the fluids circulating.

Any water spotting underneath?

Now, your oil gagae is something else. Are you using a lot of oil ?
rizzzoth

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2008 05:00 pm
@Rockhead,
im not really knowledgable on how to work on vehicles but i would be willing to do whatever i needed.
rizzzoth

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2008 05:03 pm
@farmerman,
not using any more oil than normal, and i wouldnt even know the first place on how to remove the thermostat. But when its all the way over to the right you can hear a burst of liquid (im assuming radiator fluid) and then the guage goes back down and then steadilly builds back up again. This process continues through out the entire time im driving.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2008 05:03 pm
@rizzzoth,
Willing is a start, but that is a reasonably complicated machine, and as FM has pointed out, is prone to cooling issues.

Do you own a "good" set of tools?

If you truly have no oil pressure, you are wasting your time very soon...
rizzzoth

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2008 05:05 pm
@farmerman,
So I have a hypothosis that its the water pump? But the issue with the oil pressure I have not a clue?
Rockhead

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2008 05:07 pm
@rizzzoth,
Put a mechanical test gauge on it, you can usually "rent / borrow" one from a parts house.

If you have very low pressure, surgery will be required.
rizzzoth

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2008 05:09 pm
@Rockhead,
Yeah I dont know it does reed zero pressure. When it has been sitting for a while and I start it up the pressure guage is reading perfect and about 30 seconds later it drops. Sometimes Ill be driving and let off the trottle and it will go up about 3/8 of an inch and then stay there for a few seconds then go back down. I do have tools!
patiodog

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2008 05:09 pm
I'd venture, given the way this discussion is going, that a mechanic will be required. Sooner rather than later.
Rockhead

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2008 05:11 pm
@rizzzoth,
Put a mechanical gauge to it, and see what you really have.

If your dash gauges are acting up, that can be many things, but check your grounds first.

(not disagreein' with the P dog)
0 Replies

rizzzoth

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2008 05:12 pm
@Rockhead,
Ok well I was hoping that I would not have to poor money into this thing. I ride motorcycles and only got this for the winter months and so I was planning on getting a new truck in March and was hoping to get away with it untill then! But it seems like that will not happen. Thanks for your help!
rizzzoth

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2008 05:14 pm
@patiodog,
Alight then well thanks for your help!
0 Replies