Isabel, where's my braise?

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 12:39 pm
Well, for Torontonians, Isabel has turned out to be the lamest hurricane/tropical storm on record....despite a migraine, some rain, and a touch of heavy wind, thankfully not from me arse, the weather and my finances have done nothing for me except fuel my desire for a cheap piece of meat, cooked long, and cooked well. Braising is a simple art, and the memories go on for days. Tonight it is a Chinese oxtail casserole, with star anise, cinnamon sticks, dark soy and a touch of sugar. Short ribs, tripe and ham hocks or pigs feet are other favourites. What are your faves, or do you and offal get on awfully? Laughing
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,967 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Letty

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 01:16 pm
er, Cav. you left out chitterlings. Shocked I had no ideas that you Torontoans knew anything about soul food.

I'm certain that under your capable hands, a meal such as you described would be much more delicious than it looks on paper. Laughing

You can, however, clear up an interesting puzzle for me. Is it Welsh Rabbit, or Welsh Rarebit? Whichever, that happens to be one my favorites since my Dad would make it with beer and rat cheese. YUM!

Bon appetite!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 01:18 pm
I think the porchetta alla perugina recipe I LOVE could be considered braising. I wrote it up here once, will be back with a link.

here it is - Porchetta alla Perugina

It's from the Romagnoli cookbook, see link.

Hmm, does braising require a lid? I don't do this with a lid...
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 01:41 pm
Letty, I believe that Rarebit is the correct term, but both are used in daily parlance. Now rat cheese...I am a tad skeptical....that would require a lot of rats, methinks. I did have reindeer cheese once, it was disgusting. Chitterlings? Why not?

http://www.chitterlings.com/chitterling.html

Osso, I saw the recipe, looks great, and definitely a braise.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2003 02:26 pm
Very Happy thought that I'd forgotten, didn't ya.

http://www.foodstyles.com/Appetizers/a_variation_on_welsh_rabbit.htm
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2003 10:55 pm
Cav, I am interested in everything you have to say about braising. I get lost when I turn to the food forum. I know I have a lot to learn from you, and a lot to learn from jerry.
Tell me more about the basics of braising.

Frankly, I see many individual recipes I am not interested in.

Maybe, dare I say this? there need to be Food Forum categories, even subcategories plus general talk.

Back to braising...

I remember a thread on another forum where you described the basics, but I am newly interested and fall is almost upon us.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2003 10:59 pm
Also, Letty, I enjoyed the rarebit recipe and saved it.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2003 11:23 pm
It would require lots of rats, Cav, and a very small milking machine
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2003 07:25 am
ossobuco....your name itself is a braise. Basically, a braise is a moist heat method for cooking tougher cuts of meat. So...there is a liquid medium. It can be based on a marinade, or not. A pot roast is technically a braise, the dish is named for the cut of meat, not for it being a roasting technique. The difference between braising and stewing is nebulous, but I have always subscribed to the theory that a braise involves a large or whole cut of meat, while a stew uses cut up pieces of meat. Braises and stews are cooked covered, generally, and can be done on low heat on the stovetop, or in a low oven. The meat can be seared or not, depending on what you want in the end result. I tend to avoid flouring the meat, as it makes the sauce "pubby" tasting to me, overly thick, and not refined. I prefer to make a reduction of the cooking juices, strain it, season, and serve as a jus. Anything else I can add, let me know.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2003 09:54 am
Thanks, cav.
0 Replies