Get thee behind me, school fundraiser nonsense.

boomerang

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2008 04:39 pm
@ehBeth,
Drum kit!? Cooooool, baaaaaby! For you or for him? Mo was showing off his double diddles last night. He still loves drum class.

It is amazing how much stuff they sell that's junk food. It drives me crazy.

I did my civic duty and ordered stuff today but what jespah says about taxes is right on. In Oregon there is no sales tax so most dollars come from property tax which is sky high. Oregon already has one of the worst school systems in the country with the shortest year of them all. Kids are constantly selling something.

Hmmm.......

With the housing market crash and homes being devalued I imagine that they are being reassesed for taxes. Next year the kids will probably go to school for four whole months!
dlowan

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2008 06:40 pm
@boomerang,
I suffer from this school fund-raising thing, also...and will do so more and more as the years go on, if I stay where I am.

Already, the dreaded boxes of ferking chocolate appear with ghoulish regularity.....but, in the 3 years I have been in my current job, there have been NINE pregnancies...with one woman having dropped two within that time.

Soon....kindy, then school........aaaaaaararrrrrrrrgggghhhhhhh!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2008 06:42 pm
@boomerang,
Quote:
Mo was showing off his double diddles last night

Great Goddess, woman!!! You realise you make the poor young man sound as if he has two penii, like a snake!!!
boomerang

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2008 06:46 pm
@dlowan,
Get your mind out of the gutter!

He loves knowing the names of different beats, the little goofball. His drum teacher rules.
dlowan

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2008 07:12 pm
@boomerang,
Penii aren't in the gutter!!!!!

They are halfway between the gutter and the stars.

If you're bipedal, anyway.
boomerang

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2008 07:25 pm
@dlowan,
I like a nice penis as much as the next girl but I'm not quite ready for Mo to be sharing his penis.

It is funny that you bring this up today of all days. My psychiatrist neighbor, who works with children, who has an adopted daughter who suffers from similar problems as Mo, stopped by today, which is unusual in itself. (How's that for a confusing sentence!?) We often compare notes but usually when we run into each other on the street and not when she's knocking on my door.

The conversation quickly turned to playing doctor. Her daughter, it seems, is inclined towards urology.

It is really nice to talk to people who totally "get it" on an intellectual level but still smack their heads on a personal level. (Kinda like you, dlowan.....)

dlowan

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2008 07:34 pm
@boomerang,
Lol!!! In my work, kids bits'n'pieces are high on the agenda.

You must have telepathed something about the general subject to me!
0 Replies

SYNRON

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2008 10:40 pm
Fear not.. When Obama is President, no school will need any money. He will take all of the money wasted on Iraq andAfghanistan; raise the taxes of the fat cats up to 90% where it once was; and cut corporate loopholes. That will bring in Billions and there will be no more fundraisers. The only problem is that, despite the largesse, the imbeciles in the inner city, who go to school and enroll in Kindergarten DON'T KNOW THEIR NAMES OR ADDRESSES. But Obama will explain that all this is due to racism and will plunk another 50 Billion or so to help the inner city students get up to snuff. Obama doesn't know that in Kansas City, just a couple of decades ago, the inner city got more money than they knew what to do with and the test scores still did not improve.

Why? Racism, of course.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2008 10:46 am
Add me in too - can't stand it. I said so many times, I'd rather just give the school $50 rather than buy $50 of crap. This year Yankee Candle - I just threw the stuff away.

My daughters go to a private school, but to keep costs down, they also do fundraising. One of the better ones is the box top stuff. You buy this stuff any way - you just clip the coupon on box and the school gets 10 cents each. I don't mind the running stuff which my kids' school does - they are at least participating directly, not selling crap and all the money goes directly to the school rather than some money grubbing fund raising company.
0 Replies