Christmas Vacation Plans?

Mame

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 04:30 pm
Now's the time we have to buy tickets if we're going anywhere - actually, it's probably on the late side. I'll be in Calgary this year helping Alex cook dinner at his parents' place for 12. And I'll spend some time with my son and his girlfriend. Thankfully I'll already be there - I detest flying at holiday times.

So what are you guys up to?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 7 • Views: 2,957 • Replies: 25
No top replies

George

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 04:35 pm
@Mame,
Our families are all local, so we'll be here in the 'Chusetts.

A few years ago, we went to Hawaii for Christmas. That was wonderful!
ehBeth

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 04:35 pm
@Mame,
We'll be with the hamburgers - can't imagine anything else. Hopefully I'll be able to see my best friend for at least a few hours over the holidays.

With any luck, it'll be a nice cold white Christmas and I'll be a happy happy camper.
hamburger

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 05:35 pm
@ehBeth,
ehbeth wrote :

Quote:
With any luck, it'll be a nice cold white Christmas and I'll be a happy happy camper.

... in a nice warm bedroom with a warm comforter and plenty of hot water for the morning shower <GRIN> .
hbg
Butrflynet

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 05:55 pm
@Mame,
I'll probably make the trip down the stairs to dump out the trash and then hike back home. I may plan ahead and do it the night before. To make it a more festive occasion I'm going to tie a red bow around the bag of trash. Very Happy
TTH

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 06:22 pm
@Butrflynet,
Laughing
I will be sleeping most likely. Good day to catch up.
Mame

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 07:21 pm
@hamburger,
Sounds great - do you make those delicious-sounding baked apples, too? If so, can I come? Smile
Mame

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 07:26 pm
@Butrflynet,
Sounds really exciting, B Smile At least buy yourself something and wrap it. It's fun to open something on Christmas Day.

I'm not into all the trappings (decorations, songs, wassail, etc) but I do like the turkey and love buying gifts, especially when they're fun ones.

Last year I was alone in my little bedsit but the day before my sister and I exchanged gifts. Our theme was "fun and frivolous" with a limit of $25. A couple of things I bought her was a toque with a fuzzy sparkly pom pom on it and some neon pink socks with cats on them (she has four) which she will never wear (ha) and she bought me a bling Initial for my key ring (among other things). It was fun.

I gave my kids each a key ring with a tiny rubber chicken where you squeeze the belly and an egg (not in the shell) comes out the bottom Smile
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 07:27 pm
@TTH,
Catch up on what, TTH?
Mame

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 07:28 pm
@George,
Ah, Hawaii - that sounds nice. My mom will be in Maui this year with her new husband. You're lucky your family is around, George.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 07:29 pm
@ehBeth,
I hope you see her, too, and that you get a cold, and white, white, white Christmas, ehBeth, considering how you love it. You really need to take two weeks off during the winter and visit Whitehorse - I think you'd love that town.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 08:01 pm
Christmas.

Ugh. It will probably be spent with my mil ( insert frustration here) then a quiet house.

I miss christmas with my family.
Early morning, my mother would be up starting breakfast.
I would wake to join her about 40 minutes or so after she got up. Coffee was hot and always too sweet that day.
Pancakes with fresh berries
Slab of pork "bacon"
Eggs
biscuits / gravy
Oats
and peppermint candy.
Nothing too fancy, just large amounts.
We would eat on that all day. Coffee was non stop and people were everywhere. Morning time was always just me, mom, brother , grandmother and maybe my aunt. By the afternoon cousins, other aunts, uncles, neighbors, friends and strays (Laughing) would bein the house and it would be noisy. Full of paper, toys, plates of food, coffee, alcohol, cigarette smoke , you name it.

I miss that kind of holiday. Maybe some day I can recreate that myself.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 08:07 pm
@shewolfnm,
Gotta admit my two favourite Christmas meals were the years we went non-traditional. We were in South Carolina one year - and had seafooooood. Yum. Another year we had take-out fish and chips (we celebrate on Christmas Eve).

Not necessarily my favourite evenings all round - but definitely my favourite meals.
Mame

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 08:08 pm
@shewolfnm,
That sounds really nice and comforting, She. If you recreate it, can you invite me? As a bonus, I'll even get you a "fun and frivolous" gift Smile I wanna hang with those women.
Mame

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 08:11 pm
@ehBeth,
Come to Shewolf's with me - the food sounds non-traditional to me but you - fish and chips and seafood. That's just not Canajun. Although last year I ate fudgicles, so I'm in the same boat.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 08:12 pm
@Mame,
hamburger's Christmas present for me is making a big vat of herring salad. It is his specialty. Sooooo good. I invariably end up having some with each meal over the holidays til it runs out.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 08:21 pm
@Mame,
what do you mean WILL i invite you?

Come on !! Smile My door is open, my alcohol is good.. and we will have a daring time Wink
TTH

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 08:21 pm
@Mame,
Catch up on sleep Mame.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 08:23 pm
@shewolfnm,
That would be so fun. I really have to start planning a trip to Austin.
shewolfnm

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 08:42 pm
@Mame,
Do.
Jan-Feb
Or christmas if you want.

0 Replies