Ticomaya

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2008 05:09 pm
@squinney,
Nope.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2008 05:11 pm
@JPB,
are we indeed referencing possum r fartbubble?
SYNRON

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2008 05:20 pm
@dyslexia,
Oh, Dyslexia, you really ought to do something about your Dyslexia. Get a good speech therapist. That wasn't possum r fartbubble. That was Occom r fartbubble. Good lord man, your Dyslexia is getting worse!
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2008 05:46 pm
@Bi-Polar Bear,
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

Hey so is one of mine....AND I can see the moon from my house....I don't know whether to be the vice president or an astronaut.....

WIN.

T
K
O
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2008 05:50 pm
@Ticomaya,
Ticomaya wrote:
Added to Wikipedia by some Biden supporter last night, I'm sure.

Are you being purposefully dim today?

Look up "Bosniak" anywhere you wish, if you dont trust Wikipedia. I learnt about Bosniaks in university (I studied East European history). Hence my post here during the debate already:

nimh wrote:
FreeDuck wrote:
Biden just called Bosnians Bosniaks.

Depending on the context, that can be perfectly legit. Bosniaks = another word for Bosnians, though usually taken to specifically describe those who identify their nationality as "Muslim" (as opposed to "Serb" or "Croat").

But you're sure in form. The difference between randomly sampled polling respondents and a vote-as-much-as-you-want online poll? Tico doesnt care -- all the same to him! Bosniaks an alternate term for Bosnian (ethnic) Muslims? Hell, Tico dont know none about that, so if Wiki says something about it, it must just be spin.

Feeling fact-free?
nimh

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2008 06:04 pm
@firefly,
firefly wrote:
There is no way that professional polling groups could have gotten representative samples last night. They can't call people that late at night.

The CNN survey got round that by contacting them in advance. Theirs was a focus group rather than a regular poll - they recorded their responses throughout the debate.

(Same with the Media Curves poll which Butrflynet responded to, though I dont know how that poll matches up otherwise; I think that's a self-selected group rather than a randomly connected one.)

Dunno how CBS contacted their sample of uncommitted voters.

firefly wrote:
I don't have much faith in any of the instant polls that emerged last night or this morning. Who won the debates is less important than how it will influence the voting--if it affects it at all. It will take the more accurate professional pollsters days to determine that.

Yes, I did note all of that myself ... I noted that the insta-polls are a subgenre with its own imperfections. That there's questions of methodology, with samples that are by necessity smaller and less representative. And that the open question is whether people's opinion of who "won" will have any noticeable impact of voting preferences. That we'll know all that only in a couple of days.

None of which makes any different to the point that there's a world of difference between these polls, based on a specific set of randomly contacted voters, and the online polls, which don't have a semblance of representativeness, in which you can vote as many times as you want if you care enough, and which will overwhelmingly reflect the opinion of partisans who are motivated enough to want to take part (or even send a text message).

While the insta-polls need to be taken with a grain of salt, the online and SMS polls are worthless altogether.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2008 06:05 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:

Ticomaya wrote:

Added to Wikipedia by some Biden supporter last night, I'm sure.

Probably. They not only wrote a long article, they also created a history of over 500 edits to the article going back to 2002 and posted that on wiki as well.
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Bosniaks&offset=20050930232921&limit=500&action=history

Those Biden supporters must be geniuses to do that in such a short time and get around Wiki's block on preventing changes without logging in.

As usual, you underestimate the genius of the Biden supporter. They started in 2002 just in case Biden needed them tonight!
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2008 06:09 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Oh.
My.
God.

Shocked
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2008 06:13 pm
@realjohnboy,
realjohnboy wrote:

I am naive, Ms Squinney. Is this someone yall know?

Italgato
Bocdaver
Mporter
Septembri
Chiczaira
Mortkat
BernardR
Renatus5,

Or in his "liberal personas":

MarionT
Madison32
Barackman

and now: SYNRON

Makes for a lucky dozen Smile

On Abuzz he was Massagato.
nimh

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2008 06:17 pm
@nimh,
Responding to Ticomaya, nimh wrote:
But you're sure in form. The difference between randomly sampled polling respondents and a vote-as-much-as-you-want online poll? Tico doesnt care -- all the same to him! Bosniaks an alternate term for Bosnian (ethnic) Muslims? Hell, Tico dont know none about that, so if Wiki says something about it, it must just be spin.

Feeling fact-free?

OK, that was all too much. Would delete it now if I could.

Just got really annoyed. Pretty allergic to the purposefully dim shtick. But seeing how it was in jest anyway and I just didnt recognize it as such, I shoulda just waited instead of going off like that.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2008 06:58 pm
@nimh,
Why would someone want to resort to using so many different names?
Most of us use just one. Sometimes we will say something we regret having said.
Something factually wrong or accidentally (I hope) offensive. We don't run and hide by disappearing and reappearing.
I don't get it.
Rockhead

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2008 07:00 pm
@realjohnboy,
It is quite common among the lunatic fringe, rjb...
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2008 08:05 pm
McCain, "How about Sarah Palin last nite, heh?" All while the national polls are dropping his rating. heh? heh? heh? clap, clap, clap, clap....
SYNRON

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2008 08:41 pm
@realjohnboy,
I think I can tell you how it works, Real John Boy, some one eyed left winger like Cyclops or a preening pseudo intellectual like Occom Bill or a frightened expatriate crypto Communist like Nimh in Budapest( he really thinks he knows all about the USA from the city where the GDP is about $9,000 a year and the people eat bedbugs in the morning) gets into a debate and is totally wiped out. Then, their ego destroyed, they petition that the person who showed them up be removed. And when the person re-appears, they are so frightened of him, they first urinate in their trousers and then press the Ignore Button. I really don't think they know how Nazi like their tactics are.

If, as some of them say, the posts are nonsensical, it would be easy for the brilliant minds like those above to destroy the upstart, would it not? But, they cannot do it because they remember how they were shellacked in previous years.

Do you get it now, Real John Boy? It is just like the Soviets who imprisoned thousands in the Gulag. They could not stand to hear Anti-Soviet propaganda but the more people they killed, the more that resistance built up in the hearts of the oppressed and people like Solzhenitzen appeared and the Soviet Union was destroyed.
SYNRON

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2008 08:43 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Well, what you don't know is that those ratings will come up again. I will let you know when they do. In the meantime, I feel sorry for your wife living with a sexist like you. It is clear that you are Anti-Palin because you are a sexist.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2008 08:44 pm
@SYNRON,
Are you now channeling Rama???

You might wanna investigate gettin' a life, Jack...
SYNRON

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2008 08:48 pm
@Rockhead,
Certainly, You don't mean the estimable Rama Fuchs! I warn you. He has demonic powers learned from monks in Bhutan. You may be in danger.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2008 11:55 pm
@SYNRON,
You need more exposure to Occum Bill, but the rest of your observations are spot on.
SYNRON

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2008 12:19 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Why thank you sir. I have always admired your posts but I really must ask you a very important question. How have you escaped being muzzled? Is it because your writing skills are such that you can debate the left wing without being accused of a violation of some kind? If so, you are indeed a wonder.

Congratulations and long may you write.

I will watch and read Occum Bill on your recommendation, but so far I have seen nothing to encourage me to think that he is in any way open to conservative views.

But, I have not been satirical in all cases, Finn. I really do think that Joe from Chicago and Debra LAW must be some kind of geniuses. I do have a close relative who is a partner in a big law firm who makes well over $500,000 a year.She tells me she has no spare time--none. I marvel at the ability of two such proficient and skilled lawyers like Joe from Chicago and Debra LAW who can spend so much time onthese threads and yet be such outstanding and successful lawyers.

As far as Cyclops and Nimh go, perhaps I have been too hard on them. It is difficult to be an expatriate like Nimh and live in a shithole like Budapest without expressing some anger at the USA-his country.

And Cyclops. I think I might have been like him if I had been brainwashed by the academic morons who inhabit Berkeley. You know, of course, how far out of the main stream they are. They even had a movement to declare themselves separate from the USA. I heard of the movement too late or I surely would have contributed a good piece of cash to help them in their efforts.

Good Luck, Finn. Keep fighting the good fight here on these threads where you are so greatly outnmbered--in numbers only but certainly not in class and smarts.
OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2008 12:31 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

You need more exposure to Occum Bill, but the rest of your observations are spot on.
Thanks Finn... but you can't possibly agree with much that Troll expounds. It took him less than 48 hours to make such a familiar ass of himself as to blow his own cover. He screams for evidence, ignores what you bring him, and then continues to ramble on as if his idiocy hasn’t been exposed. He's like the anti-Finn. Read back and check out his other names. I'm sure you'll recognize them with some embarrassment.