Tonight's VP debate

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2008 10:46 am
@OCCOM BILL,
She probably should avoid referring to him as 'O'biden' in the future too.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Woiyo9

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2008 10:55 am
How do you all feel about her "lecture" about personal responsibility.

I kind of cringed.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2008 10:58 am
@FreeDuck,
FreeDuck wrote:

-- Palin has this thing she does with her voice, kind of whispery and pointed, how you would talk to a child, the fan-o-meter is neutral on it but it bugs the crap out of me

umm, know the voice ya mean. but as a man i'm not hearing child talk; she's trying to be sex kittenish.

0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2008 10:58 am
@nimh,
Thank you for your polling "science" explanation. To be clear, I take regular, standard, professional, average, and online polling each with a grain of salt.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2008 11:01 am
@Ticomaya,
Ticomaya wrote:

Thank you for your polling "science" explanation. To be clear, I take regular, standard, professional, average, and online polling each with a grain of salt.

That's a personal decision on your part, but it doesn't change the fact that some forms of polling are more scientifically sound than others.

Cycloptichorn
DontTreadOnMe

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2008 11:01 am
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

FreeDuck wrote:

Biden just called Bosnians Bosniaks.

Heh, yeah.

Quote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bosniaks

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2008 11:03 am
@DontTreadOnMe,
Added to Wikipedia by some Biden supporter last night, I'm sure.
OCCOM BILL

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2008 11:04 am
@Ticomaya,
Ticomaya wrote:

nimh wrote:
(That was Tico's juxtaposition of the CNN focus group of uncommitted voters with the Fox News website's online poll was a bit of a nonsequitur.)

The poll result I posted was from the cable news broadcast last night ("Text 3945 and push "A" for Biden, "B" for Palin ..."). Any evidence the viewers of Fox News are not "uncommitted voters"? (As opposed to the regular viewers of CNN, whom we all know to all be pinko leftists, and die-hard Obamaniacs. Wink )
Thing is, like Beth pointed out, even the online people know better. Not just at CNN, MSNBC, CBS, etc: Here's 250,000 respondents at Foxnews.com from 5 minutes ago.

http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/9352/foxwhowonze9.jpg
Will we now hear about the Liberal bias of Foxnews.com readers?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2008 11:07 am
How out-of-touch are right-wingers when it comes to her performance? From The Corner:

Quote:
Projecting through the Screen [Rich Lowry]

A very wise TV executive once told me that the key to TV is projecting through the screen. It's one of the keys to the success of, say, a Bill O'Reilly, who comes through the screen and grabs you by the throat. Palin too projects through the screen like crazy. I'm sure I'm not the only male in America who, when Palin dropped her first wink, sat up a little straighter on the couch and said, "Hey, I think she just winked at me." And her smile. By the end, when she clearly knew she was doing well, it was so sparkling it was almost mesmerizing. It sent little starbursts through the screen and ricocheting around the living rooms of America. This is a quality that can't be learned; it's either something you have or you don't, and man, she's got it.

Lowry was sitting there with a woody the whole time. It's ridiculous how much her sex appeal has been used to sway the empty minds of Republicans. And I think it's really telling that women are way more down on her then men...

Cycloptichorn

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2008 11:11 am
@gungasnake,
gungasnake wrote:

Quote:

Chanting "DRILL, BABY, DRILL!" now is like chanting "TYPEWRITERS, BABY, TYPEWRITERS" at the start of the computer era" - Congressman John Hall

Even if Detroit stopped making anything other than electric cars this very instant we'd still have 30 years worth of gasoline and diesel powered cars on our roads; it would be thirty years before 95% of the vehicles on the road were electric. Me, I'd rather not be sending money to Chavez and Ahmadinajad and the Saudis for another 30 years.

then you should have stopped 30 years ago when all of the right wingers were gafawing about ecology and earth hippies.

had you done that, it would be a non-issue by now.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2008 11:14 am
I'm thinking Palin is the political version of Thomas Kinkade's "art." Lots of kitsch (as in "chocolate box art).
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2008 11:15 am
@gungasnake,
gungasnake wrote:

...one of the little victim groups they pander to is the green/envirowhack/Malthusian crowd which wants to return human populations to medieval levels to "save the planet"....

like i just said.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2008 11:15 am
@nimh,
There is no way that professional polling groups could have gotten representative samples last night. They can't call people that late at night. Even when they are able to reach people, the polling procedure is a rather lengthy process.

I don't have much faith in any of the instant polls that emerged last night or this morning. Who won the debates is less important than how it will influence the voting--if it affects it at all. It will take the more accurate professional pollsters days to determine that.

Every election season I regularly get calls from one of the professional pollsters--generally the Marist College.

http://www.maristpoll.marist.edu/

Their surveys take about 20 minutes, and they do not rely on yes or no answers or simply asking who you prefer. Typically they read you a long list of statements and you must state whether you agree or disagree with each statement by giving a number from 1--10 to indicate how strongly you agree or disagree. They also include questions which are similar but worded differently, which gives an indication of how consistently or reliably the person is answering the statements. I've always felt they were doing a very thorough job when I participated in one of these polls.

I have wondered whether my willingness to participate and give of my time increased the probability I would be called back in the future, for another poll, since I seem to get more of these calls from pollsters than other people I know.

parados

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2008 11:31 am
@Ticomaya,
Ticomaya wrote:

Probably. They not only wrote a long article, they also created a history of over 500 edits to the article going back to 2002 and posted that on wiki as well.
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Bosniaks&offset=20050930232921&limit=500&action=history

Those Biden supporters must be geniuses to do that in such a short time and get around Wiki's block on preventing changes without logging in.
FreeDuck

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2008 11:45 am
@Ticomaya,
Ticomaya wrote:

I might have thought so if nimh hadn't pointed the same thing out last night. Just one more thing that O'Biden knows more about than me, apparently.
0 Replies

Lambchop

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2008 11:50 am
@Woiyo9,
Quote:
BIDEN: Said McCain supports tax breaks for oil companies, and "wants to give them another $4 billion tax cut."

THE FACTS: Biden is repeating a favorite saw of the Obama campaign, and it's misleading. McCain supports a cut in income taxes for all corporations, and doesn't single out any one industry for that benefit.

I don't think it's really misleading. McCain wants to lower the corporate tax rate from 35% to 25%, which would result in a $4 billion savings for the oil companies (in spite of the fact that they have had record breaking profits). Biden might have singled out the oil companies, but what he said was true.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2008 12:07 pm
@Ticomaya,
Ticomaya wrote:

yeah... you're right.. it couldn't possibly be that biden actually knows something about the country or it's people.

gonna have ta do better than that, dogonit, tico. Smile
McGentrix

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2008 12:09 pm
@DontTreadOnMe,
Obviously Tico's sense of humor goes over many heads.
DontTreadOnMe

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2008 12:28 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

Obviously Tico's sense of humor goes over many heads.

obviously mine went over yours.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2008 12:30 pm
@McGentrix,
Apparently so.
0 Replies