Australians told to eat kangaroo

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2008 09:50 pm
Australians urged to eat kangaroo

Quote:
An Australian government adviser on climate change has urged Australians to ditch beef and lamb for kangaroo steaks to help save the planet.

Sheep and cows produce a high amount of environmentally unfriendly methane gas through belching and flatulence.

But economist Ross Garnaut noted in a report on global warming that kangaroos produce virtually no methane.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 9 • Views: 3,526 • Replies: 31

roger

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2008 09:53 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Well, yeah. Eat the innocent; spare the polluters.
Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2008 10:21 pm
@roger,
Yeah, that was my immediate reaction, too.
hingehead

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2008 10:24 pm
@Merry Andrew,
Classy, guys. So killing cows is OK but kangaroos is not? Unless you're both vegetarians get off that pedestal.
Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2008 10:44 pm
@hingehead,
You do misread me, hinge. I'm no vegetarian and never said that it's not OK to kill kangaroos for meat. Roger's reaction, I believe, and mine was to the logic of sparing the beasts that pollute the atmosphere and killing the ones that don't.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2008 11:04 pm
@Merry Andrew,
Of course the number of cattle out there is proportionate to our need to eat them or drink their milk.

(I like cattle, but sometimes we go whole hog.)
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 12:27 am
@hingehead,
Oh, man. Simple ******* comment and now I'm discriminating against cows!? I give up. I just give up.
dlowan

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 12:32 am
@roger,
roger wrote:

Well, yeah. Eat the innocent; spare the polluters.

Doh!!!

It assumes we stop RAISING the sheep and cattle.

No more jolly jumbucks, no more moocows.

Then we'd have to get rid of the goddam feral goats, pigs, camels, rabbits, cats, dogs and rabbits and it'd be paradise again.

If they come for my free range chicken, though...... Twisted Evil
OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 12:33 am
@roger,
Cow hater!
dlowan

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 12:59 am
@OCCOM BILL,
Well, we'd keep some dairy cows...dem Joiseys is luverly:

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:mtvyBXBIjwWWkM:http://songseek.com/picturenet/photos/vermont_outdoors_fall/media/P9160053.JPG
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 01:00 am
@roger,
roger wrote:

Oh, man. Simple ******* comment and now I'm discriminating against cows!? I give up. I just give up.

You doity Rat!
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 03:37 am
I have and would every day If it were available. Farming the buggers could be a problem though. Can you just imagine trying to yard and truck them suckers let alone. drench em.
dlowan

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 05:52 am
@dadpad,
That's a worry...they're WILD. The FENCES!!!! They don't pay attention to normal fences.

I mean, they are already used for meat, but via shooting in the wild.

Is that what is envisaged, leaving them wild?

I guess I worry re how humane that is, given the calibre of person I have met who does it. I mean, there may be wonderful and very humane folk who do it, and I just have never seen one....

I also don't like the meat....it's too gamey...but I don't count, I don't eat beef or sheep neither.

We'd still need wool sheep, anyway, unless we breed woollyroos?

Environmentalists have been saying this for years, anyway, because of how sheep, especially, graze and because of the damned hooves and their destruction of the soil.
DrewDad

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 06:55 am
@roger,
More like, eat the innocent feed the polluters....
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 06:56 am
@Robert Gentel,
I heard that people hopped up on kangaroo meat talk funny.
dadpad

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 07:21 am
@DrewDad,
KICKS drewdad in the testicals.
Now lets see who talks funny
DrewDad

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 07:34 am
@dadpad,
dadpad wrote:
testicals

See what I mean?
patiodog

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 07:45 am
@DrewDad,
Bollocks.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 07:46 am
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

That's a worry...they're WILD. The FENCES!!!! They don't pay attention to normal fences.

I mean, they are already used for meat, but via shooting in the wild.

Is that what is envisaged, leaving them wild?

I guess I worry re how humane that is, given the calibre of person I have met who does it. I mean, there may be wonderful and very humane folk who do it, and I just have never seen one....

I also don't like the meat....it's too gamey...but I don't count, I don't eat beef or sheep neither.

We'd still need wool sheep, anyway, unless we breed woollyroos?

Environmentalists have been saying this for years, anyway, because of how sheep, especially, graze and because of the damned hooves and their destruction of the soil.

I don't for a moment believe that a substantial market could be sustained without intensive farming, same as beef or lamb. (Begs the question what damage intensive roo farms would create.) Perhaps breeding them on the low rainfall range land then grow on as yearlings till 2 year olds in the higher rainfall country or feedlots. A little similar to the mountain cattle we (used to) have here.

We've (people) been selecting and breeding sheep and cattle for several hundred years without intensive research so I don't think it would be long before the negative traits were bred out and positive traits were bred up.
The flight imperative is high in kangaroos (which is interesting in itself as they have no major predators). Captive breeding, grain feeding and high value grasses would very quickly reduce the gameyness.

Roos actually prefer to "dive through" a standard Fence. I would start with a 5 hot wire standard height fence with extra two hot wires up high. The cost would be a little higher but not much. The roos on my block are reasonably used to having me around and we've all seen roos and wallabies free ranging at wild life parks that get quite used to people but I just cannot conceive trying to herd them in any sort of orderly fashion like a mob of sheep.

You can buy wallaby (and possum) meat from Tassie.
patiodog

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 07:48 am
Soylent Green is the obvious solution, though we continually turn away from it.
0 Replies