Australians told to eat kangaroo

DrewDad

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 07:54 am
@dadpad,
The eternal question... roominates vs. ruminates.
Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 08:03 am
@dlowan,
Next they will be admonishing you to eat.........................RABBITS!!!
dlowan

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 08:15 am
@Phoenix32890,
We do...or did until kalecy virus decimated them...though I note they seem to be available in butcher's shops again.

You could get rabbits raised by growers...but they were really fatty and yuck.
cjhsa

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 11:51 am
@DrewDad,
I hear you can make a decent roof out of their hide....it's waterproof.... and a roonewable roosource...
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 02:50 pm
How does kangaroo meat taste like?
More like game or regular beef, or venison?
hingehead

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 03:59 pm
@CalamityJane,
It's more sort of venisony - but even leaner.

Rat and Andrew apologies for any offence, but as Deb pointed out, if we moved to more roo meat we'd get rid of the cows, and we'd care more about the roos, so ultimately, species wise, the innocent would be better off.

Kangaroos are brilliant at turning poor feed into protein and Australia's natural environment is full of poor feed and they've evolved to use it.

Cows on the other hand mean we have to water land and fertilize it to get pasture to grow. The water raises salt and the fertilizer washes into our water system. Or we just have massive landholdings were sparse herds just destroy what little natural pasture there is and move on.

Not too mention side issues like what cows do to soil structure, what clearing trees for pasture does for soil erosion.

Kangaroo salami and emu prosciutto are really nice.

And kangaroo meat is better for you cardiovascular wise (less fat).

0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 04:08 pm
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote :

Quote:
You could get rabbits raised by growers...but they were really fatty and yuck.

certainly not the rabbits we buy in canada . the meat is very lean and tender - somewhat like a mix of chicken and veal .
best with a sourcream/portwine gravy !
delish !!!
hbg
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 04:11 pm
@CalamityJane,
Oh yeah

You have to have it rare/medium rare - turns into old boots well done.

I'm not aware of its properties stewed.

You can get kangaroo burgers/mince in the local supermarkets. It's also a pretty common pet food.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 04:18 pm
Interesting discussion, listening.. I'll admit I just laughed out loud at Roger's comment.. (with him, I mean).
hingehead

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 09:10 pm
@ossobuco,
Yeah, I took it the wrong way, I'm a bit over people saying kangaroos are too cute to eat, especially whale killing japanese and feedlot fanatic merkins.

Western settlement of Australia has largely revolved around trying to turn the driest flattest continent into the English country side and in the process ruining what little arable land existed. That kangaroos aren't methane producers is yet another reason to chow down on Skippy.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2008 06:43 am
@DrewDad,
Skip breakfast again? Tsk tsk tsk.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 08:30 pm
@CalamityJane,
I really like kangaroo.

They used to serve it at the pub I go to for trivia, but they've taken it off the menu - apparently I was the only one who ate it!

It's a wonderful, lean, slightly gamey meat. Needs to be carefully cooked - about medium rare. If you overcook it, it tastes like leather. That' s how I had it the first time - and it put me off it for years.
0 Replies