Evidence for Widespread Fires at the End Pleistocene

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2008 06:24 am
Mailing list material, not on the internet/www at present or if it is I'm not finding it, take it for what it's worth, but it appears to be solid evidence for cosmic disaster within the recent age of man which has been something which many scientists have viewed as anathema prior to now.

One scientist describes this as "...a "reality based" frame of reference for catastrophists of all persuasions and/or perversions (and you know who you are!):"...

Quote:

A. Stich1, G.A. Howard2, J.B. Kloosterman3, A. West4, R.B. Firestone5, J.P. Kennett6, D.J. Kennett7, T.E. Bunch8, W.S. Wolbach1

1DePaul University, Department of Chemistry, 1036 W. Belden Ave., Chicago, IL 60614
2Restoration Systems, L.L.C., 1101 Haynes Street Suite 107, Raleigh, NC 27604
3Rozenstraat 85, 1018 NN, Amsterdam, Netherlands
4GeoScience Consulting, P.O.Box 1636, Dewey, AZ 86327
5Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, 1 Cyclotron Road Mail Stop 88R0192, Berkeley, CA 94720
6University of California, Santa Barbara, Institute of Crustal Studies, Santa Barbara, CA 93106
7University of Oregon, Dept. of Anthropology, Eugene, OR 97403
8Northern Arizona University, Dept. of Geology, Flagstaff, AZ, 86011

Accumulating data support an extraterrestrial contribution to the End Pleistocene extinctions. Sediments at the base of a carbon-rich, dark layer, called the YDB, dating to ~12.9 ka contain magnetic grains, microspherules, elevated iridium, nanodiamonds, and other evidence consistent with extraterrestrial impact [1,2]. We further tested the possibility that combustion of the impactor, carbon-bearing rocks, or biomass might have been triggered by the impact, as hypothesized at the End Cretaceous 65 Ma ago [4]. Previous analysis of samples from North America, Germany, and Belgium yielded YDB soot at two sites in North America: Murray Springs, AZ, with a soot content of 20 ± 2 ppm; and a Carolina Bay, Blackville, SC, with a soot content of 2000 ± 200 ppm [5].

In this study, we report results from twenty-three additional samples from seven sites in North America, Belgium, and the Middle East: Arlington Canyon, CA; Arlington Springs, CA; Bull Creek, OK; Hall’s Cave, TX; Murray Springs, AZ (new sampling); Lommel, Belgium; Abu Hureyra, Syria. Dissolution and analysis procedures were based on those used successfully for detecting soot from impact- produced wildfires at the Cretaceous-Tertiary (K/T) boundary and have previously been described [5].

Four of these sites (nine total samples) contained significant quantities of YDB soot: Arlington Canyon, CA, with a soot content of 2000 ± 200 ppm; Bull Creek, OK, with a soot content of 500 ± 50 ppm; Hall’s Cave, TX, with a soot content of 2000 ± 200 ppm; and Murray Springs, AZ, with a soot content of 6000 ± 600 ppm, ~30x times higher than observed previously at this location. None of the remaining End Pleistocene samples studied showed significant soot contents, including all non-impact layers above or below the YDB. The absence of YDB soot at other locations could indicate absence of burning in those regions, lack of soot transport to and/or deposition, or local depositional conditions that were too oxidizing to support soot preservation.

The presence of significant YDB soot at five separate locations across North America (CA, AZ, OK, TX, and SC) suggests significant, widespread burning and aeolian transport of soot across North America ~12.9 ka ago. These results support a size and energy of impact sufficient to ignite continental-scale fires.

[1] Firestone R.B., West A., Kennett J.P., Becker L., Bunch T.E., et al. (2007) Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 104, 16016-16021.
[2] Kennett, D.J., Kennett, J.P., West, A., Mercer, C., Que Hee, S.S., et al., Science, submitted.
[3] Kennett, D.J., Kennett, J.P., West, A., West, J., Bunch, T.E. et al., Science, submitted.
[4] Wolbach W. S., Lewis R. S., and Anders E. (1985) Science 230, 167-170.
[5] Wolbach, W.S., Stich, A., Kloosterman, J.B., Becker, L., Kennett, J., et al. (2007) Eos Trans. AGU, 88 (23), Jt. Assem. Suppl. Abstract PP43A-03.
[6] Wolbach W.S., Gilmour I., Anders E., Orth C.J., and Brooks R.R. (1988) Nature 334, 665-669.
[7] Wolbach W.S. and Anders E. (1989) Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 53, 1637-1647.
[8] Wolbach W.S., Gilmour I., and Anders E. (1990) In: Global Catastrophes in Earth History (eds. V.L. Sharpton and P. Ward). Geological Society of America Special Paper 247, 391-400.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 869 • Replies: 17
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2008 07:44 am
@gungasnake,
This has been published in Geotimes last year as a speculation article . I guess theyve verified the impactor site?
Why do you say that scientists view this as anathema? WHose oxen are being gored by data that can be verified? Im not sure what yer point is.
Several recent impacts have been documented by the USGS (fella by name of Wiley Poag). Thereve been several impacts that resulted in large tektite "strewn fields" from the Pleiocene and Pleistocene. Getting hit by space crap isnt as rarae as weve been originally been told. SHoemaker made a lifes work out of tracking many of these hidded impactors and theyve been finding craters and mineral occurences that parallel impacts , and theyve been finding them all over the world.

farmerman

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2008 07:48 am
@farmerman,
Heres some clips from an AGU meeting that discussed the End of Pleistocene events and impactors contemporary with Clovis Culture

http://www.agu.org/meetings/sm07/sm07-sessions/sm07_PP43A.html

These clips ae also from last year
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2008 07:48 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
This has been published in Geotimes last year as a speculation article .

Like I say, I looked for it and couldn't find it and I'm good at internet searches.

URL??
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2008 07:50 am
see above.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2008 07:53 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

This has been published in Geotimes last year as a speculation article

That's exactly the very same report - only with a tiny difference: the original publication has got a question mark ... Is there evidence for impact-triggered fires at the End Pleistocene? Eos Transactions. American Geophysical Union, Joint Assembly. May 22-25, 2007. Acapulco, Mexico, Supplement 88(23), pages PP43A-03.

There has been quite a lot of research re the Ussolo Horizon recently ...

0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2008 08:11 am
@gungasnake,
Im not sure about the CArolina Bays thingy. These features are all up and down the inner coastal plain from delaware to South Carolina. They cluster around 2 formation types (which were underwater during glacial retreat. And , they all trend in the same direction. There are thousands and thousands of them and not all contain the bolide associated minerals and charcoal.
I think this is an interesting explanation for killing off the megafauna since we cant really seem to find conclusive data that they were all hunted to death. Some megafauna are found in fossil positions that indicate that they may have died in agony and their bones are often eroded and burnt
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2008 08:14 am
In contemplation of this,
shoud we be SATISFIED with all the defenses
that government has erected against our getting hit some more ?

David
farmerman

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2008 08:38 am
@OmSigDAVID,
All it takes is 700 Billion Dollars
rosborne979

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2008 02:01 pm
@farmerman,
I've heard it suggested that if there was an asteroid impact on the ice sheet that there might not be any crater to find.
farmerman

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2008 05:21 pm
@rosborne979,
I suppose that one could be lost in a two mile thick ice sheet. Im sure theres a model somehwere with full color graphics to test this option.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 12:00 am
@rosborne979,
Quote:

I've heard it suggested that if there was an asteroid impact on the ice sheet
that there might not be any crater to find.

A lot depends on the size of the rock
and whether it were an air burst.

David
rosborne979

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 06:09 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
A lot depends on the size of the rock

Uh, yeh.

0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 07:45 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
In contemplation of this,
shoud we be SATISFIED with all the defenses
that government has erected against our getting hit some more ?

At this juncture the question is what sort of defense God has erected i.e. Jupiter and the fact of our system being stable for the forseeable future. The three comets which crashed into Jupiter recently might have ended up in our own neighborhood without Jupiter there; kind of like a vacuum cleaner.

0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2008 02:34 pm
Quote:

I never trusted those Phoenixes.

David
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2009 11:50 am
Another article on this...
http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/science/01/02/comet.diamonds/index.html
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2009 02:06 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

All it takes is 700 Billion Dollars

Yeah; not worth it.

Those were the DAYS, my friend,
we thought thay 'd NEVER end
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2009 02:09 pm
We 've had a few bullet burns
within recent years; u c nothing until its HERE.
0 Replies