I need some ideas for desserts

Mame

Tue 30 Sep, 2008 09:25 am
Yeah, I'm not a dessert person but I have 9 - 11 hungry men who seem to have mouths full of sweet teeth. I don't want to spend hours making strudels and fancy stuff, so I need some ideas from you dessert makers.

I have made pies, crisps, shortcakes, cakes, brownies, and rice pudding. There are no more fresh berries, only frozen.

I don't mind baking cookies and whatnot, but I really have no interest in desserts that require 200 ingredients and 6 hours stirring, rolling, folding, whathaveyou.

Any ideas for delicious and simple (and hopefully healthy) desserts?

Thank you in advance.

mismi

Tue 30 Sep, 2008 09:40 am
@Mame,
Lemon squares

1 c butter
2 c flour
1/2 c confectioners sugar
4 beaten eggs
2 c sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
6 tbsp lemon juice
4 tbsp flour

Cream first three ingredients and press into a 9x13 in pan. Bake 20 min at 350 degrees. Add sugar to eggs, stir well. Add remaining ingredients. Spread on hot layer (just baked crust) and bake for 30 minutes. Cool and sprinkle with confectioners sugar.

They are easy - and good.

0 Replies

boomerang

Tue 30 Sep, 2008 10:17 am
@Mame,
I'm not a big fan of chocolate so this isn't a personal favorite. It is quick and easy though so I make it for the chocolate lovers in my family and they all really like it:

COMBINE:
1 cup cake flour
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 TBSP cocoa (not cocoa mix)
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt

ADD:
1/2 cup milk
2 TBSP vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla
nuts if you want

SPREAD IN UNGREASED 9X9 PAN

MIX TOGETHER:
1 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup cocoa

SPRINKLE OVER BATTER

POUR 1 3/4 CUPS VERY HOT WATER OVER BATTER/SPRINKLE STUFF

BAKE 35 OR 40 MINUTES AT 350 DEGREES
0 Replies

Linkat

Tue 30 Sep, 2008 10:22 am
@Mame,
First off dessert should never be healthy - then why even have it.

Here is an easy one - buy a couple of gallons of ice cream. Get a dish scoop out the ice cream. Easy. If you want it more complicated add whipped cream and a cherry. There is your fruit.
BumbleBeeBoogie

Tue 30 Sep, 2008 10:28 am
@Mame,
This is one of my favorite recipes. So easy to make and feeds a crowd. I've made it in pie pans and large cookie sheets, which ever suits your needs.
---BBB

CEYLON RUBY MINE PIE
(CRUSTLESS CRANBERRY PIE)
By BumbleBeeBoogie

Preheat your oven to 325 degrees F. Butter the insides of two 10-inch pie pans.

FILLING:
3 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
3/4 cup of white granulated sugar
1/2 to 1 cup of chopped walnuts (as much as needed to cover cranberries)

Optional: You may lightly toast the walnuts if desired.

In a large bowl, combine the cranberries, sugar and walnuts. Spoon the mixture into the two pie pans.

TOPPING:
2 large whole eggs
3/4 cup granulated white sugar
3/4 cup melted butter
3/4 cups white all-purpose flour

In an electric mixer, beat the eggs until they are lemon colored. Add the sugar and beat until the mixture is creamy. Gradually add the flour to the mixture, alternating with the melted butter, and beat until the mixture is smooth.

Spread the topping over the cranberry mixture in the two pie pans.

Place the two pie pans on a cookie sheet or spread foil under the pan to catch any drippings.

Bake on the center rack of your oven for 45 minutes until the topping is golden brown.

The pie may be served at room temperature or cold.
Joeblow

Tue 30 Sep, 2008 10:35 am
@Mame,
I'm not a dessert maker, but I am a dessert eater. How about making a basic flan and topping with some of your frozen berries and whipped cream?

Seems simple and not too sweet.

Any leftover flan could be used the next day in a trifle, maybe. Same ingredients I guess. Just layer, add a custard, or pudding of some kind. Drizzle a little chocolate.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Tue 30 Sep, 2008 10:38 am
@Mame,
Banana pudding.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Tue 30 Sep, 2008 10:46 am
@Mame,
A cobbler is pretty simple to throw together, if they can agree on a flavor...
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Tue 30 Sep, 2008 10:47 am
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

First off dessert should never be healthy - then why even have it.

Here is an easy one - buy a couple of gallons of ice cream. Get a dish scoop out the ice cream. Easy. If you want it more complicated add whipped cream and a cherry. There is your fruit.

I do the same, and sometimes a bit more. Add a slice of pound cake,
put a scoop of ice cream on top, and spoon hot berries (you have frozen ones right?) on top. Sooo good, and so easy!
CalamityJane

Tue 30 Sep, 2008 10:51 am
@CalamityJane,
A "healthy" dessert:

Put sliced cooking bananas, sliced oranges, diced mango and dates into
a frying pan. Add a bit of orange juice, honey, almonds, and a shot of Amaretto and let it simmer for a while. Serve with or without whipped cream.
0 Replies

boomerang

Tue 30 Sep, 2008 11:01 am
@Mame,
Oh! Dump cake!

Put frozen fruit or a can of pie filling in the bottom of a pan.

Sprinkle on one package dry cake mix (straight from the box, don't mix anything with it)

Cover the top with thin pats of butter (I've also read that you can use a can of 7-up instead of butter but haven't tried it myself)

Bake about 30 minutes at 350 degrees.

I know it sounds crazy but it really is very good.
0 Replies

Linkat

Tue 30 Sep, 2008 11:49 am
@Mame,
How about Whip and Chill! I remember making this at the nursing home I used to work at as a teenager. Here is the description:
Whip 'n Chill Dessert Mix, a Quick and Fluffy No-Bake Dessert

Made by Jell-O
No baking required
Makes a great frosting or filling for cakes too
Pressed for time? Prepare a delicious no-bake dessert in minutes with Whip 'n Chill.

I even actually found where you can buy it - http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/browse/Home/Food-Candy/Complete-Meals-In-Minutes/Desserts/Whip-n-Chill-Dessert-Mix/D/30103/P/1:100:1020:10260:100600/I/f07524
0 Replies

Mame

Tue 30 Sep, 2008 12:26 pm
@Mame,
Wow, you guys - thank you! They all sound easy and delicious! I will let you know how they turn out.

That dump cake - I read some reviews on line a while back and some people were complaining that the butter didn't mix into the cake mix well - they said it just melted where it was and parts were dry mix. Boomer, how do we prevent that from happening? I'd love to do that one but don't want to serve up a disaster.
0 Replies

Reyn

Tue 30 Sep, 2008 12:32 pm
@Mame,
Mame wrote:

Yeah, I'm not a dessert person.....

Neither am I, since it's so hot and dry, but will this do?

http://www.smh.com.au/ffximage/2008/03/07/AbuDhabiDesert_wideweb__470x303,0.jpg
mismi

Tue 30 Sep, 2008 01:04 pm
@Reyn,
lazy man's cobbler

1/4 stick margarine
1c. milk
1c. sugar
1c. self rising flour
1 can peach pie filling

Preheat oven to 350 - melt butter in a 9x13 dish, mix sugar, flour and milk in a bowl seperately, then pour batter over butter, DO NOT STIR - Spoon peach pie filling over batter - bake for one hour or until brown.

Delicious over ice cream.

The way I do the dump cake is

1 20 oz can crushed pineapple
1 20 oz can cherry pie filling
1 box yellow cake mix
3/4 cup melted butter
1/2 c flaked coconut (optional)
1 c. pecans (optional)

dump the pineapple and cherries on the bottom of the pan. smooth out. Sprinkle the yellow cake mix evenly over the fruit...pour melted butter over the top then sprinkle with the toppings - if you want the toppings - they don't have to have them.
bake at 350 for one hour....

so maybe just melting the butter would take care of that problem people had...I never run into that - and that dump cake is GOOD and EASY - doesn't get much easier than that - good idea Boomer
Foxfyre

Tue 30 Sep, 2008 01:08 pm
I take my cue from Maxine in these things.

You go to the bakery and pick up a nice cake or a couple of great looking cream pies. Take them home. Hide the boxes. Probably nobody will ask if you made them. Or if you don't mind if they look storebought, Sara Lee and Marie Callendar's stuff in the frozen food case tastes as good as anything I can make.
mismi

Tue 30 Sep, 2008 01:15 pm
@Foxfyre,
adding: I think that the dump cake might have been dry in some places because of not spreading the fruit out evenly - and the cake on top of it evenly - the butter shouldn't be what makes it moist for the most part...it should be the fruit on the bottom that gives it the moisture...GOOD GRIEF...I am gonna have to make some tonight...that sounds so GOOD!
0 Replies

Linkat

Tue 30 Sep, 2008 02:07 pm
@Foxfyre,
I agree - just yesterday my daughter brought in some nice bakery store bought cupcakes for her birthday. I mean I had to drive to the store didn't I?
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Tue 30 Sep, 2008 02:29 pm
@mismi,
What size pan for that recipe for dump cake? That sounds even easier than finding matching shoes so I can go to the bakery.
boomerang

Tue 30 Sep, 2008 02:49 pm
@mismi,
I used really cold butter so I could slice it thin and made sure that the top of the cake was completely covered with butter.

I think I made it in a 9x13 cake pan.

I haven't made one in a while but I used to try all kinds of combinations -- apple pie filling with spice cake, frozen raspberries with chocolate cake -- but it seems that white or yellow cake mixes always turned out best.

0 Replies