2 Kincaid galleries in ABQ close

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2003 10:27 pm
I can't find my original post about Thomas Kincaid, so I will post the latest news here.

The two Kincaid galleries in Albuquerque, New Mexico closed on September 1, 2003.

Good riddance?

---BumbleBeeBoogie
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,726 • Replies: 64
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2003 11:19 pm
BBB, I could never understand how people paid such good money for his art - copies at that! You know, Barnham said "there's a sucker born every minute." So true!
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 04:48 am
Prolly all the people who would buy his schlock, own his schlock.

Look for Thomas Kincaid art at garage sales starting in about five years.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 06:04 am
This is hilarious. I thought I was the only one who thought things like this.

Several years ago the wife and I made the mistake of passing by a Kincaid "gallery" in the French Quarter. One of their 'associates' stopped us on the sidewalk, began the "Painter of Light" spiel and before we knew it, we found ourselves in the rear of the store being shown a $2300 'masterwork' to hang over our hearth.

Good news: suddenly the ether wore off and we ran out of there screaming.

Since then several people I have met and known, for whom I had already maximized a miniscule amount of respect, revealed themselves to be Kincaidians.

If what you say is accurate, SP, then perhaps these sheep can also be convinced to drink the Kool-Aid, crawl in their bunkbeds and await the arrival of the starship.

Lord knows they shouldn't be breeding.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 08:24 am
I already get calls from people who were talked into buying his art for investment and bought a lot of it. I give them the bad news and as additional proof of what I was telling them, asked them to try and find the gallery the purchased it from -- they're likely closed (all the Orange County Kincaid galleries are closed).

Not only does he produce those copies of offset lithographs (ordinary posters) chemically stripped and pasted onto cheap canvas, installed in a cheap plastic frame but the same "elves" who "touch up" the "limited editions" also are painting the original paintings. The cost of gluing the cheap offset lithos to canvas is about $25.00, the frames are about $25.00 and the touch up is about $25.00. His signature isn't worth more than $5.00 so paying $2,300.00 for one of these pieces of fraudulent art is foolish and rather disgusting.

He has a bevy of attorneys working on all the lawsuits against him.

The Pet Rock of the "art" world has seen his day of bilking the public and for the present time is laughing all the way to the bank.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 12:45 pm
2 Kincaid galleries close
Good riddance? You'd better believe it!

How people can think this is quality stuff is beyond my comprehension, but I guess it has appeal for the sentimentally inclined...
Rolling Eyes

Anyway, I doubt he needs the money from the galleries any more - he must be rolling!

And I don't care if I sound like a snob; on this I probably am.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 01:09 pm
Here's an example of Kinkaid's ripoffs. I purchased an original painting that measures on the inside of the frame 35" X 44" that was painted by an artist who has won many international painting awards. He also taught at the Teacher's Art College in Shanghai. I paid $2,000 in New Zeland, and that included the shipping to California. What more need I say?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 01:16 pm
I'm sure it doesn't look like blown up greeting card illustration either, c.i. That's about the right price for a good quality original by a new artist off a gallery wall.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 01:33 pm
2 Kincaid galleries
They would make great jigsaw puzzles, though...
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 01:50 pm
Kinda expensive for jigsaws, except for the rich and famous. Wink
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 02:12 pm
2 Kincaid galleries
Well, he could pick a little more loose change (to pay his legal fees, maybe?) by licensing one of the popular jigsaw companies to use his stuff. And the paintings are so busy that they'd be a real challenge to any jigsaw fan.

Anyway, jigsaws aren't about art, the really good ones are about pure masochism.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 02:27 pm
his paintings are supposed to imbue serenity.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 03:22 pm
2 Kincaid galleries
They are? Confused Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 03:37 pm
There was a report on NPR a while back about a TK inspired/liscensed village. You could live in a real TK painting!

But the commentator mentioned one thing that really made the point... You never ever see a person in a TK painting.

So who'd want to live in one?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 04:20 pm
SealPoet, I've also noticed that about the Kinkaid paintings; it lacks people. It's always a very sanitized idea of a home with vegetation all around - usually close to sunset to show that there are lights in the house - and somebody may be living inside.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 04:38 pm
Answer: he can't paint figures. He also uses a pantograph to project onto the canvas because he also can't draw. If he knew even the basics of composition, he might get away with it. At best, it's cookie tin art and if the chocolate chip morsels inside were really good, that could imbue a lot of serenity.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 04:52 pm
Well, his art certainly has imbued a good deal of contempt... Smile
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 05:28 pm
Some people are resigned to paying that much for something decorative and they justify it as being a household furnishing they never bought for any other reason than they liked it. I can see how they are beguiled and all it takes is a savvy art salesperson to close the deal.

It's when the greed sets in and they are talked into buying as an investment that is unfathomable. Sometimes they initiate the idea and the salesperson if they are shrewd will subtly fortify this belief. If anyone knows how transitory all this stuff is, it's the salesperson themselves.

My next question is, just how does one decorate around this stuff? It's only really going to look good with Early American, ruffles, spinning wheels and all. I'd bet the person who owns one of them also flies an American flag outside his front door and has at least one of their car. It's that sort of mentality that is taken in by this sticky sentimental junk art.
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 09:53 pm
Well... maybe serenity is something you don't have to think about...
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2003 05:46 am
He's now reduced to pandering such things as night lights on QVC. Does anyone who owns any of these fake masterpieces think that's a bit demeaning? Do they have a brain in their head?
0 Replies