Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2008 05:54 am
Does anyone else out there find this new forum format more difficult to use? I have given it some time to see if I just have to work out the shortcuts or mangae threads, but nothing seems to be smooth about it.

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2008 05:56 am
@Andy CWS,
Andy- Like anything else, the new format takes a bit of getting used to. After awhile, when it becomes more familiar to you, you will find the site pretty easy to navigate. Keep plugging at it!
0 Replies

Cliff Hanger

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2008 09:30 am
@Andy CWS,
I agree with you. I can see there is a lot of work involved in getting this new and improved site running, however, I think it's been designed by people who have uber-computer abilities, which leaves Luddites such as myself frustrated.

I can understand why they want to update the look and some of the functions, but on the old site it was really easy to find previous posts, topics, etc. Here, it seems like posts languish in the ether because no one sees them.

I do not understand the thumbs up/down system either.

TTH

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2008 10:36 am
@Cliff Hanger,
Have you guys seen these?
http://able2know.org/topic/121208-1
http://able2know.org/topic/120955-1

I still get lost getting around and I haven't read all of the above yet Embarrassed
I do know from what I read, it has helped me....not to mention the members who were nice enough to post that info.
Foxfyre

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2008 10:50 am
@TTH,
TTH wrote:

Have you guys seen these?
http://able2know.org/topic/121208-1
http://able2know.org/topic/120955-1

I still get lost getting around and I haven't read all of the above yet Embarrassed
I do know from what I read, it has helped me....not to mention the members who were nice enough to post that info.

Andy and TTH:

I post on several different sites with some regularity--none as much as I post here, however. This is by far the most confusing and difficult site of any that I post on and, in truth, if I had found it just recently, I wouldn't have stayed. I'm sticking it out because there are some people here that I very much enjoy sparring with or sharing with or just being with for awhile on the boards. And it is my testimony and those like me that I hope will inspire you to stay.

One rule of thumb. When you find a thread that you want to revisit, be sure to tag it with something: Tag it A2K or Politics or Religion or something that makes sense. Then when you check back in and nothing looks familiar, just click on "my tags" and the threads you want to follow will be right there. Also be sure to set for all topics all time both on your tags and on your home page at least until you get more familiar with it.

This will help you feel less lost and at least get back to the threads you already know you want to follow.

Happy blogging. Smile
TTH

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2008 11:02 am
@Foxfyre,
Thank you Foxfyre and I plan to stay around. A2K was and is the only forum I participate in. Actually, I had no interest in forums until I joined a contest and every time I tried researching, this forum got in the way. Then I took a look and emailed a member who invited me to join. I didn't at first, but then decided why not since I like to learn and there is a lot to learn here. The long term members have taught me quite a bit.
0 Replies

Cliff Hanger

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2008 11:23 am
@TTH,
Thanks for searching and posting these sites TTH, I appreciate it.
0 Replies

Cliff Hanger

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2008 11:25 am
@Foxfyre,
Thanks for posting this. I just did my very first tag.

TTH

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2008 12:55 pm
@Cliff Hanger,
Good for you Very Happy
Just hang in there and you will get used to things. Change can be good.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2008 04:45 am
NEW format!?! I have just re-entered after a 2-3 YEAR hiatus. I don't know which way is up! If you are wondering how long... last time I was here it was 'dot.com' not 'dot.org'. Wink

What has sort of gone missing is a 'home-page' that pulls all the threads together in a single spot with links to nominated topics. it is probably the librarian in me that wants to cram everything into nice lists.... must have another Drunk and lie down, the feeling goes away pretty quick.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2008 06:20 am
Sincerely, I feel a lot better,
a lot more comfortable about the site now
than when I first began to use it.

David
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2008 06:23 am
@Mr Stillwater,
Quote:
NEW format!?! I have just re-entered after a 2-3 YEAR hiatus. I don't know which way is up! If you are wondering how long... last time I was here it was 'dot.com' not 'dot.org'.

What has sort of gone missing is a 'home-page' that pulls all the threads together in a single spot with links to nominated topics. it is probably the librarian in me that wants to cram everything into nice lists.... must have another and lie down, the feeling goes away pretty quick.

U might mention your concerns to the powers that be

David
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2008 11:08 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Only you, David, and perhaps a small handful of others, could possibly "feel a lot better, a lot more comfortable" with this Minotaur's maze of a forum site. The folks in charge took a perfectly well-functioning website and "upgraded" it to the point where only the cyber elite can find anything. The saddest thing about the new format isn't even that it's confusing and hard to navigate; that can be remedied with a little intellectual effort. The place just isn't fun any more, that's what's wrong with it. It's too much like performing a chore, a given task, even to check on those topics that you can find easily, that you've already contributed to.

I stay around only because I'm hopelessly addicted to this forum. But I hate it. (No, it's NOT too strong a word.) I mostly just lurk now and seldom share my thoughts. It's a shame. I miss A2k.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2008 02:29 am
@Merry Andrew,
Quote:

The place just isn't fun any more, that's what's wrong with it.
It's too much like performing a chore, a given task

Well, we are given, free of charge,
the opportunity to define our own cyber-reality by MAKING it fun.
I 've offered some modest contributions in that direction,
when I get hit in the head with some inspirations.

When one is invited to a cocktail party,
it is hoped that the guests will bring their clever wit
and scintillating repartee in support of the general conviviality.

I will take this opportunity to recognize the obvious efforts
of our hosts to FIND and bring here interesting subject matter for discussion.

I take the point of vu that we shoud not look a gift horse in the mouth.

David
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2008 10:51 pm
@Andy CWS,
To Navigate just click on 'able2know' at the top left hand corner of the page that will take to the general layout or map of the topics available for discussion. On the left side will be a list of the general topics which you can choose to join in by clicking on it.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2008 06:55 pm
I'm not just up to complaining right now.

OK - two... no three... new things here at A2K:
1. I am back - tone of place ramped up straight away
2. Totally new forum format since August
3. Craven de Vere is now Robert Gentel

Give me some time to absorb this lot and flame Gustave - then we can really start whinging.
0 Replies

Cliff Hanger

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2008 11:47 am
@Mr Stillwater,
You're a librarian? God bless you.

I'm still having trouble understanding this site. Don't understand why they needed to improve it.
Cliff Hanger

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2008 11:53 am
@Merry Andrew,
I agree with you completely. I find it to be convoluted. Even with a little instruction the site is barely navigable.

A while ago Robert Gentel sent me intructions on how to post a youtube spot by showing the image instead of the link. I am unable to find the post or the instructions. It pisses me off-- I want to be able to do that again but am too lost.

On the old site you could retrace your steps and cobble something together.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2008 12:13 pm
@Cliff Hanger,
Cliff, this was in the Blog - which has lots of info and instructions.
(To see the a2k Blog, click on blog at the bottom of the page.)

http://blog.able2know.org/2008/08/29/new-youtube-bbcode-tags/

0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2008 12:17 pm
@Cliff Hanger,
Quote:
Don't understand why they needed to improve it.
the old software wasn't going to support the increasing amount of data for much longer...
0 Replies