What is my Joyce Clark painting worth

sarahr

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2008 11:24 am
The painting that aquired of Joyce Clark is that of a seascape. I know that it is an early piece of her's and would like any info on her. Thanks
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 18,505 • Replies: 10
No top replies

thegalacticemperor

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2008 11:38 am
@sarahr,
Is it an original oil painting or a numbered giclee print? Most of the prints seem to be priced in the $2000 - $3000 range. As for originals, they vary greatly in price from around $1200 to around $10000.
thegalacticemperor

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2008 11:43 am
@sarahr,
Here is some info on the artist:

Joyce Clark (AOP, ISMP)
The "alphabet soup" designations after her name refer to Joyce Clark being a Signature Member of both the highly prestigious Oil Painters of America and the International Society of Marine Painters. Only a small handful of the thousands upon thousands of artists throughout the United States can claim this designation. And Joyce Clark certainly deserves this professional honor.

One of Hawaii's longtime premier artists, Joyce Clark has been painting the people and places of the islands since 1960. Now in her 90's and still "painting up a storm", she is considered to be the "best" of Hana artists, having lived in rural Hana for nearly twenty years. Mrs. Clark now divides her time between the US mainland with her children and grandchildren and her "home-away-from-home" in Hawaii.

Joyce Clark is known for her landscapes and "people-scapes" which seem to capture the wahi pana (special spiritual energy) of Hawaii. She makes excellent use of a palette knife in her work, literally sculpting the oil to give a three-dimensional feel to her paintings.

Joyce Clark was raised in the famous Art Colony of Laguna Beach, California.Ê In 1970 she moved to the island of Maui where she lived and painted for 25 years; 10 of those years in the beautiful countryside of Hana, Maui known as "the last Hawaiian place." She now makes her home in Sunriver, Oregon.

Following her formal education at Whittier College and University of California at Los Angeles, she spent many years as a commercial artist and a ceramic decorator before becoming deeply involved in oil painting and mosaic murals.

Joyce has been commissioned to paint numerous oil paintings for private collections around the world as well as to create mosaics that grace the walls of many public structures. Among these murals are the 12'x16' mosaic "St. Francis of Assissi" that is on the St Francis Hospital in Lynwood; California' "Future in Space" a mural in Tulare High School, Tulare, California; four mosaic murals in the Congregational Church in Laguna Beach, California; four Cortese Crest murals in Leisure World in Laguna Hills, California and a mosaic cross in the "Church of the Community" in Honokowai, Maui, Hawaii.

She was commissioned to paint a specific area of Wailea, Maui for the Alexander & Baldwin annual stockholders report and the results of her efforts, "Beach Walkway at Wailea" is now on permanent display in their Honolulu offices. Her oil painting "Hong Kong" won top purchase award at the first Art Maui juried show in 1979, and three times her oils have been selected for the AMFAC Island Holidays Calendar award.
Ragman

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2008 12:29 pm
@sarahr,
if you want to research the artist Joyce Clark, then you should type her name as the keyword at a search engine such as Google. If you do that search on her, the following (Artist Bluebook) is one of the many results:

http://www.askart.com/askart/c/joyce_clark/joyce_clark.aspx
0 Replies

sarahr

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2008 11:19 am
@thegalacticemperor,
Thanks alot for trying to help. I still havent really found out any info on the painting i have, but i would like to know whom i would have to contact if i were interested in selling the item?
0 Replies

Seaking67

Reply Tue 8 Sep, 2009 11:13 am
@sarahr,
In respect to Clark you need to contact Village Galleries Maui or Hana Galleries in Hawaii. They appear to be only two that carry her work. You would probably only fetch 1,000 at auction for a seascape. Her still life of mangos brought $2690 at auction in 2007. John Schram Jacob-Schram Antiques ASA Course Complete
0 Replies

springer

Reply Sat 25 Jun, 2011 03:41 pm
I have an oil-signed painting by Joyce Clark. It is titled seldovia alaska- what is the value?
0 Replies

arleen erbele

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2012 11:11 pm
My mother knew and took lessons from Joyce Clark when she lived in Laguna Beach and bought a 16x20 seascape from her. It is in pristine condition and is signed on the front and on the back it says "Artists Cove by Joyce Clark" What is it worth? Just curious as I have no intention of selling it. I knew her also. She was a good person.
tfahlor

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2012 12:22 pm
@thegalacticemperor,
i also have a joyce clark painting i would like to know more about as i know nothing about art.it is a seascape i have had almost 30 yrs.i do not know the difference between an original or print,there is a sticker on the back that says (the hope collection) livonia,michigan 48150 #k3624-601 any help would be appreciated

0 Replies

tfahlor

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2012 12:23 pm
@thegalacticemperor,
i also have a joyce clark painting i would like to know more about as i know nothing about art.it is a seascape i have had almost 30 yrs.i do not know the difference between an original or print,there is a sticker on the back that says (the hope collection) livonia,michigan 48150 #k3624-601 any help would be appreciated
0 Replies

sarahjohn

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2013 10:15 am
@arleen erbele,
hi,
ihave a small joyce clark signed painting and titled and signed on back i think she did this on earlier stuff since yours is pretty much ironclad provenance is there anyway i could see writing on back i am trying to authenticate my little painting any help would be appreciated don fleming
0 Replies