my cell phone got wet

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 05:05 pm
I just "dunked" the bottome of my cell phone in water. Any tips on how to get it dry to see if it still works, or is it my loss? I thought i read somewhere to set it in a bag of rice because absorbs moisture??..HELP...dammit this is a new phone grrrrr

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 05:08 pm
@jeanneherman,
Dunno Jeanne. Hubby dunked his brand new and very expensive digital camera in the turtle tank on Grand Cayman. We did everything we could think of but we wound up replacing the camera. Probably a cell phone wouldn't be much different, but maybe somebody else has a different idea.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 05:11 pm
I'm always hard on my cameras, but still haven't dunk any of them in water - yet.
I remember being at Niagara Falls some decades ago, and people were taking pictures and videos with their cameras in the heavy sprays of the falls. I tried to warn them that was not a good idea, but most kept taking their pictures. I think a good percentage of those people "lost" their cameras and their pictures that day.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 05:11 pm
@jeanneherman,
A lot of electronics don't break with water unless there is electrical current running and the water caused a short.

So assuming that didn't happen when the phone fell into the water you should let it completely dry before letting it power up at all. Take it apart as best you can and just let it dry a few days (speed it up with a hair dryer at low heat if you want).

It may be too late but I've been able to get phones and watches that fell into water working in the past.
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 05:16 pm
Don't mind Rama jeanneherman, he's one of the village idiots and completely harmless.
Ramafuchs

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 05:17 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Your above English drives 389 people online out of A2K sir.
Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 05:26 pm
@Ramafuchs,
Nonsense. I am here trying to help the new person fix their phone while you are blathering about how many cell phones you can buy but won't because they are "nasty".

Why don't you answer this?
Intrepid

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 05:30 pm
@jeanneherman,
I dropped my PDA into the toilet once. I retrieved it and let it dry out for 3 days. I had tried it in the meantime, but it sputtered and spirted and shut off.

I let it dry for about 3 days and then plugged it into the charger. Voila, it came to life and I saved a few hundred dollars in replacing it.

In other words.... all is not lost. Good luck.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 05:32 pm
@Intrepid,
Intrepid, Thanks for sharing that info; I may one day need to do "that" to rescue my electronics.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 05:36 pm
It sure couldn't hurt to try. Our experience might have been different if it had been tap water instead of sea water. (We were able to save the card and a couple hundred pictures but not the camera itself.) I found out that you can spill diet coke into a computer keyboard without too much problem, for instance, but not apricot preserves.
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 05:39 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Start your sensentense in a civil way and NONSENSE should not be the first word in a senstense.
Ask the poster whether he got offended with my response.
I told him don't waste your money to buy this kind of plastic gatgests which demean degrade denigrade the individual's self respect.
Tell me please how many years the people had travelled around the globe without cell phone..
Hope you understand my views.
Respects without regrets
Rama
Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 05:40 pm
@Ramafuchs,
Don't use someone's simple question as your personal soapbox. You are being obnoxious and I'm going to go back to ignoring you.
Ramafuchs

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 05:43 pm
@Robert Gentel,
You will be the 2oth member of A2K.
And I beg you to ignore my response or threads.
I will never show my intollerance to ignore any person.
Regards
Rama
Intrepid

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 06:09 pm
@Ramafuchs,
It is, indeed, unfortunate and very bad manners to drag a posters first post on A2K into something else. I hope that the poster gets a reasonable answer to their legitimate question and does not make judgement on the site based on this thread.
Ramafuchs

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 06:17 pm
@Intrepid,
I do agree.
My response is about the cell phone.
But as usual i was provoked to answer other respondents .
I beg your pardon and it was/is/will never be to divert the main subject of the thread..
Cell phone is usefull when you are on duty and some of your kith and kin in hospital or while you drive in a highway where the traffice is too much to dislocate your regular plaNn.
I always see in Köln while i travel in public transport shouting their plan for the evening.
If i go to toilet to ease myself there is someone sitting there and talking with his beloved..
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 06:50 pm
@jeanneherman,
I once dropped my cell phone in the toilet. I retrieved it quickly but it seemed dead. I allowed it to dry, plugged it in, it recharged and worked fine after that.
Intrepid

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 08:30 pm
@NickFun,
It seems that a few of us have had experience with Cell Phones/PDA's in the toilet Razz
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 08:37 pm
@jeanneherman,
I've dropped cell phones and digital cameras into mud puddles and had success drying them - I just opened them and let them sit on towels for a few days.

On the other hand, I dropped a phone into a sink full of water and permanently murdered it.

I suspect it may be a matter of how wet your phone got, and how long it was in water. If it was literally a quick dunk and not the entire phone, you'll probably be all right.

Open it up as much as you can without disassembling it - put it between some towels - flip it over every now and then. Not a very technical response, but it might work for you.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 08:48 pm
had a cell phone go through the wash....let it dry three days and it seemed to be fine. A week later is started acting up, after five weeks finally it was declared dead.