02 Dyna won't start when hot

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 01:43 pm
my 02 FXDWG doesn't want to start when its hot, like getting gas after a hard ride. It kicks back then the starter won't turn over but I hear a whine from the starter. I don't know if its a starter problem or maybe compression lock. Any ideas?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 2,245 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 01:49 pm
@ELanfair,
I know practically nothing about cars, but when this happened with a former car (Mercury Capri) it was the catalytic converter sloughing off bits and pieces into the exhaust system, plugging it up. After a few minutes of sitting, those pieces settled out and the car would start. Once we replaced the catalytic converter, the problem did not reoccur. That probably isn't it, but it couldn't hurt to check.

The only other thing that happened was with my Subaru Impreza that had a built in security alarm that I never did activate. After several years, however, that alarm created a short or something in the works that prevented the car from starting. Once I had the security system taken off, there have been no further problems.
fishin

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 02:02 pm
@ELanfair,
Sounds like a classic starter solenoid problem. The whine you hear is the starter spinning. The solenoid isn't causing it it to shift positions and engage like it is supposed to so it isn't turning over the engine.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 02:03 pm
@Foxfyre,
"FXDWG" = Harley Davidson Dyna Wide Glide = motorcycle. Wink
Foxfyre

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 02:06 pm
@fishin,
Oh. Embarrassed

Well, maybe my extensive automotive expertise will help somebody who actually has four wheels on his/her vehicle. Smile
0 Replies