Which family car do you recommend?

Jonsey

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2008 02:17 pm
I just wanted to get an idea of what kind of family-oriented cars you guys would recommend or have any experience with. I know there's a lot of minivans, crossovers, and SUVs out there lately, and I'm trying to figure out which ones are generally considered the best out there. My ex used to drive a Ford Escape, so I've driven that one before; I also do some work with Volkswagen, and I really like their new Routan that I've been seeing in commercials everywhere lately. What do you guys think/recommend?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 2,624 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2008 02:34 pm
@Jonsey,
We've driven Subarus for years. Every now and then we go astray and try another make, but return to the Subaru. They are relatively inexpensive to buy, amazingly dependable rarely needing any attention other than routine service, are relatively inexpensive to service, repair, and fuel, have great sound systems, brake systems, and are all wheel drive which boosts peace of mind in bad weather. They may not be as plush, elegant, or comfortable as other vehicles, but they get the job done for us.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2008 03:38 pm
@Jonsey,
I second that recommendation for Subaru. I've had many friends with them and my current g/f has one (forrester) and praise it highly. My preference is Honda CR-V, however, with the newer models, they may not be as economical in terms of purchase price. They are relatively trouble-free and now have decent power. Great family car.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2008 03:55 pm
@Ragman,
I go along with Ragman's recommendation of a Honda. My wife has owned several Hondas now, and she has had no problems - zero problems. They are dependable to a fault; and I believe JD Powers rates them #1.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2008 04:07 pm
Ahhhh ppbbth.
Dont listen to the other 'schmucks' Wink

toyota. nothing but.
I have had one and have driven it into the ground almost literally.
Replaced the clutch at 75000 miles so far, that besides a dead battery, is all that has happened with this car.
A daily driver , sometimes 100 miles in one day

DrewDad

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2008 04:10 pm
"Family car" can cover a lot.

We've got two adults and two young children. A Honda Civic works just fine for us, unless we want to haul lumber or equipment around. Trunk is amazing in what it will hold.

An Accord will apparently hold three car seats/booster seats in the back....
sozobe

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2008 04:19 pm
@DrewDad,
One thing I found is that the "family car" needs change once the kid hits school age. There is a lot of car-pooling involved, and my regular Saturn station wagon often is too small for what we need/ want to do. I can't carry my carpooling load, which I feel bad about sometimes. (I can squeeze 3 kids back there, tops.)
Ragman

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2008 05:10 pm
@shewolfnm,
I second that recommendation for Toyota, as well. I had an '89 Toyota Camry for 160k miles and no problems. My ex wife still was driving it after we waved bye-bye..so it could've gone well beyond that. Trouble-free and efficient, a little unsexy but in a good way. Hey, that sounds a bit like my ex-wife too, actually! Wonder what she says about me? Wink Laughing
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2008 05:55 pm
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:

One thing I found is that the "family car" needs change once the kid hits school age.

Yeah, that was my point. The original post didn't make clear how big the family was, or what the near- and medium-term needs were.
Jonsey

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2008 02:03 pm
@DrewDad,
I have experience with a 90s Dodge Caravan and a more recent Toyota Matrix - the Matrix had great gas mileage, but when it came to carrying more than four people or lugging stuff around, the Caravan was much more helpful. I liked the Routan because it's big enough to carry a lot - and it's the got the best-looking exterior I've seen on a minivan lately.
0 Replies