Natural Pools - Natural Swimming Pools and Swimming Ponds

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2008 11:35 am
23 Breathtaking Natural Swimming Pools

Quote:
http://www.thedailygreen.com/cm/thedailygreen/images/natural-swimming-40-lg.jpg

One elegant, eco-friendly solution that has had enthusiastic supporters in Europe for decades is the so-called natural swimming pool, which is slowly beginning to gain buzz in the U.S. Natural swimming pools, often called swimming ponds across the Atlantic, can be beautiful oases of greenery and sustainability, as well as safe, fun places to take a dip.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 9,811 • Replies: 9

H2O MAN

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2008 03:57 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Very nice, but what kind of pumping/filtration system do these require?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2008 04:05 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Hey that's my idea! I think I was in middle school when I doodled up a version of these. Of course my idea was quickly forgotten when I learned about the all chemicals used to keep more conventional pools clean. But, I remember wondering why natural ponds were safe and chlorine pools were safe, why couldn't constructed natural pools be made safe.

As to filtration - what filtration does a kettle pond have?
fishin

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2008 04:13 pm
@littlek,
littlek wrote:

As to filtration - what filtration does a kettle pond have?

Heh, most people probably don't know what a kettle pond is. Very Happy That's a very Cape Cod term. I've never heard it used anywhere else.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2008 05:37 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I appreciate their beauty,
but (call me a wimp) the temperature
of a pool has something to do with my enjoyment of it.

I surmise that the temperature of the water is also natural.

David
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2008 05:41 pm
@fishin,
Hey fishin - There are kettle ponds anywhere that the glaciers scraped deep pock marks into the earth, yes? The term is used in all of MA and also NH.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2008 05:44 pm
@littlek,
Quote:
Re: fishin(Post 3403070)
Hey fishin - There are kettle ponds anywhere that the glaciers
scraped deep pock marks into the earth, yes?

Is he fishin in those ponds ?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2008 06:05 pm
@littlek,
littlek wrote:

Hey fishin - There are kettle ponds anywhere that the glaciers scraped deep pock marks into the earth, yes? The term is used in all of MA and also NH.

They do exist! They're all over the northern half of North America I guess. Most places just call them something else. The lake I live on is a kettle pond but the town calls it a "self-sustaining retention pond". (Whatever the heck that means! Very Happy )

I think it gets muddled when you have a mix of true kettle ponds and other ponds. I read somewhere a while back that all of the ponds on the Cape are true kettle ponds so maybe that's why it sticks so much down there?
littlek

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2008 06:08 pm
@fishin,
I get the town's descriptive term. Kettle ponds are not (or are not necessarily) moving water - no spring in, no leakage out). Yet they somehow sustain water levels (rainfall only in some cases?) and their own ecology.

Anyway - all ponds on the Cape aren't kettles, I don't think. Though the ponds that aren't that I can think of, are man-made and usually involve us mucking around with the natural salt-water inlets.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2008 11:05 am
Here's another collection of natural pool photos:

http://www.rinrobyn.com/natural-pools-gallery.php

http://www.rinrobyn.com//images/pool/actual/1206569152.JPG
0 Replies