Tom Brady and the Patriots

Ragman

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2011 10:29 am
@Region Philbis,
Someone had better tell Gronkowski that he's not Wes Welker. He sure landed badly, but I still give him a 10 for style points.

Every time I see Edelman I like him more. It surprises me how sometimes these guys on Pats come out of nowhere. Love to see a run like that turn into a Devin Hester kind of game. In his case, he's been steady and not exactly a secret.

These emerging stars on Pats seem mainly to show up on offense. Of course, we know that the answer is that Brady is such an offensive force. I would love to see a Defensive leader emerge - ala Teddy Bruschi..or a Ray Lewis.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2011 06:27 am

nice day at the office for tom terrific --
24/34, 361 yards, 3 TD's, 0 INT's, 134.6 passer rating, and 27 yards rushing...
Ragman

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2011 07:09 am
@Region Philbis,
I think he added those rushing yards just to give him higher fantasy points.
0 Replies

George

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2011 07:27 am
Seemed to me like the play-action pass was confusing the Eagles D all
afternoon.
Ragman

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2011 07:32 am
@George,
Agreed!

Eagles and their offense weren't able to sustain their offense long enough to make their defensive strategies work. Then again they were facing Brady and his improving offensive options. IMHO the Iggles just don't have the talent and the right focus nor the coaching.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2011 10:22 am

http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/Third_Party_Photo/2011/12/11/patsl__1323642930_0436.JPG

Quote:
Gronkowski sets TD record

LANDOVER, Md. -- Rob Gronkowski of the New England Patriots set the record for most touchdown catches
in a season by a tight end, raising his total to 15 with two Sunday against the Washington Redskins.

The previous mark of 13 TD catches by a tight end originally was set by Antonio Gates in 2004, then
matched by Vernon Davis in 2009.

Gronkowski's record-breaking 14th score came on an 11-yard pass from Tom Brady with 5:49 left in
the first quarter. That capped a two-play, 60-yard drive; the other play of the series was a 49-yard
catch-and-run by Gronkowski.

Following the play, Gronkowski emphatically spiked the ball into the end zone at FedEx Field. Almost
immediately, as if realizing his mistake, Gronkowski played the role of outfielder, searching for the
football as it rebounded off the turf.

"I got the ball back and everything, so it was cool," Gronkowski said, later joking he'd use the record-
setting ball to practice his spikes in the offseason. "It was cool to get a record and everything, but that
really doesn't matter. We got the team victory."

Added Gronkowski on the 49-yard catch: "There was no whistles or nothing, I was just running," Gronkowski
said. "When I don't hear a whistle I just keep playing."

Gronkowski tumbled to the ground after the completion, which set up his touchdown strike on the next play,
but was ruled not down by contact.

"Tom just made a great throw. The defender was right there. [Brady] put it where no one could get it besides
me," Gronkowski said. "I just made the catch, and I just noticed that the guy didn't touch me at all. So I just
got up, started running, it just happened to spin off a couple guys and everything."
(espn)
Ragman

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2011 10:58 am
@Region Philbis,
Sometimes when I watch football plays like that I wonder to myself do they really know how good the play is/was? Gronk should be a verb. Skins got Gronked yesterday. Pats game was way off so they sure needed his contributions to squeeze that win out.

GRONKED Laughing
Region Philbis

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2011 11:12 am
@Ragman,

teams should be double-teaming him constantly...

apropos of nothing, i like coach bill's strategy of always kicking first if he wins the toss.
since most teams opt to receive first, it guarantees we get the ball first to start the second half...
Ragman

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2011 11:24 am
@Region Philbis,
Gronk can be attempted to be double-teamed...but after what I've seen yesterday and this year, it won't matter. He's so athletic, quick and evasive...I think he can beat any double-teaming unless they can read his mind or are a match for his talents.

Many people criticize and may not like The Hoodie, but you can never say he doesn't pay attention to and assess all the angles. When it comes to strategizing, he calculates his team's moves better than 95% (or more) of the NFL current crop of coaches.

Not that I'm that knowledgable, but I've seen him make a few identifiable (to my eye) mistakes in the years he's been Pats coach.

I did see some dissension/disagreement with the new Offensive Coordinator O'Brien and Brady due to the offensive route-running of the new receiver yesterday. I think he snapped at the recvr and O'Brien snapped at him..needing restraining (idjit). The Hoodie defused it at all by telling OC to STFU.

Brady handled it great at the press conference saying throwing the pick he threw was dumb and he should have been yelled at. However, the OC is a jackass. My last dollar says he'll be elsewhere next season.
0 Replies

George

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2011 12:41 pm
One of my favorite moves: with Washington having the ball on the Pat's 2,
the Patriot defensive line does a simultaneous lateral shuffle during the
count. This pulled the Washington line offside and pushed them back 5.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2011 12:53 pm
@George,
When you first said Gronk! on the other thread (the pick-um thread), I thought, why is he talking about Gronk in a football thread. I'd heard of Gronkowski but didn't put two and two together right away, because this is the Gronk I've known about for years:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gronk_(artist)

huh - you get a wiki page and then have to click on the Gronk that is an artist to see the description.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2011 11:31 pm
I am really looking forward to the Denver game this Sunday.

Denver apparently have God on their side, but I don't think that is enough to beat Tom Brady.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2011 11:17 am

gronk wins AFC player of the week...
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2011 11:42 am

0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2011 09:37 am

gotta love coach bill's wry sense of humor...

0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sat 24 Dec, 2011 05:37 pm

"a tale of two halves"...

the pates looked awful in the first half, down 0-17.
they picked it up big-time in the 3rd quarter, then hung on for the W.
the only thing that stopped reggie bush was a minor leg injury.

this kind of up and down performance sure as hell ain't gonna cut it in the playoffs...
Ragman

Reply Sat 24 Dec, 2011 08:40 pm
@Region Philbis,
they're playing possum, huh?
Region Philbis

Reply Sun 25 Dec, 2011 08:34 am
@Ragman,

it looked like it, but that's a dangerous way to play...
Ragman

Reply Sun 25 Dec, 2011 08:38 am
@Region Philbis,
Reminds me of that age old religious adage: "Can God make a hole so big that he couldn't climb out of it?"
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 25 Dec, 2011 09:06 am
@Region Philbis,
Oh yes..and then there's Tom Terrific rushing for 2 TDs. I wonder if he thought that he needed to fatten up his resume'?