Okay Farmerman...Please Explain This Big Bang Machine

JTT

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2008 05:52 pm
@farmerman,
And the Lamborghini will set a new speed record.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2008 05:54 pm
@farmerman,
And your hire purchase company can petition God but He has seen enough tears to enable him to withstand their squeals so you will be in the clear.

And no more seafood in the bowthrusters eh fm?
farmerman

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2008 06:19 pm
@spendius,
I see that our drunken English twit is still in the wings. Ever get laid Spendi??

McGentrix

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2008 06:54 pm
At least we will all go quick.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2008 05:24 am
@farmerman,
So much fm that I got sick of it. Same old thing, twice a day, year after year--it got to be tedious. And bloody expensive too. My only regret is that it took me so long to wake up to being used and manipulated in such a animalistic manner.

I decided to become an intellectual instead. It's for saps is getting laid.
Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2008 09:48 am
@spendius,
I'm offering odds of 1.34*10^12 : 1 that we all get crushed tomorrow. Please send your money to me c/o a2k usual address terms and conditions apply.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 03:21 pm
Has the LHC Destroyed the Earth?
spendius

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 05:12 pm
@DrewDad,
Not yet.. It was a false dawn. They are working on it though.
Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 02:41 am
@spendius,
I think it says something about our society when the kids (dammit not kids, school pupils) at mrs S's school were genuinely concerned that the world was going to end at a flick of a switch on Wednesday.
spendius

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 04:05 am
@Steve 41oo,
Shouting "Fire!!" in a crowded theatre eh?

Orson Wells once put the US into panic mode.

Media is out of control Steve. And so is the teaching profession. The kids have become the playing field.

A bloke told me once that his daughter started crying when she saw him light a fag. She thought he was going to cark it there and then.

Like Dylan said--"Something's outa whack."
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 11:21 am
A physicist friend just sent this to me -- you gotta watch!

http://www.cyriak.co.uk/lhc/lhc-webcams.html
spendius

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 11:37 am
@sozobe,
Very funny soz. For a low budget effort I mean.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 01:10 pm
They haven't even smashed any atoms yet....it was impossible for the world to end on 9/10 since it will be weeks/months before it actually does anything.

Was the world going to end because they flipped the light switch.
sozobe

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 01:13 pm
@maporsche,
The world is not going to end, period.*

My husband and I were talking about the whole false equivalency thing in political coverage, and he noted that it was really doing a number on the LHC too. I'm sure everyone here knows this, but seriously, there is NOTHING to worry about. And science writers have been lax to give the quacks a voice here. (See my new sig line, which applies to both science and politics these days...)

*Edit: Well, not because of the Large Hadron Collider anyway...
spendius

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 01:13 pm
@maporsche,
That's poetic map.

It conjures up "Ghosts of 'lectricity howl in the bones of her face."
spendius

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 01:17 pm
@sozobe,
I'm going to post that sig. line soz on the science thread where two so-called scientific types have me on "Ignore": or The Mom's Apron as I prefer to call it.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 01:17 pm
@spendius,
People thought that we were going to have a black hole before they even smashed any atoms? I don't get it.

Quote:

It will be weeks or months before two particles ever crash together in the giant tube, and even longer before scientists can interpret results, said Jos Engelen, chief scientific officer of CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research.

http://www.reuters.com/article/technologyNews/idUSL846768920080911
spendius

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 01:41 pm
@maporsche,
You're missing the point map.

Focus on "weeks or months", a scientifically infinite concept, and on "even longer". And the line and a half for Jos's title. Length of title is a fair guide to salary range. Frank Whittle had no title. It's like the further from the front line you get the more gold braid and medals you have on your uniform. That's why it's 300ft down.

With a picture on a photographic plate for any definitive evidence I think it might all run sweetly enough.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 03:04 pm
@sozobe,
of course nothing will happen soz, but there was no way something was going to happen on the 10th. There was some Indian who killed himself over this.
sozobe

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 03:12 pm
@maporsche,
Seriously?!

Wow.