Women and Being Funny

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 08:49 am
When I was in college in the 60s, someone wrote an article asking whether women could be funny and attractive at the same time. the women in comedy then were loud and brash: Joanne Worley, Phyllis Diller, veteran Minnie Pearl, Joan Rivers.

I don't want to speak to the looks of women in comedy but their presentation of self and their volume and brassiness. Joanne Worley was part of Laugh-In which introduced us to two other women, an English woman named Judy Carne who was anything but brash and Goldie Hawn who was sweet, innocently sexy and giggly and who went on to be known more as a comic/dramatic actress than a comedienne in the stand-up sense.

There were one or two other women at the time who disappeared without a trace. The one I remember was named Sue and she was from East McKeesport, PA and that was her tag line.

I want to talk about women, being funny and how the image of the comedienne is different today than it was forty or even twenty-five years ago.

Personnally, I am a big fan of the women now on SNL. Rachel Dreitch is funny mainly because she is a competant actress. Ditto Maya Rudolf. At first, Amy Polard scared me because her eyes look crazy but I got over that and am impressed with her talent. Despite Tina Fey's reluctance to appear on camera, the woman has good timing and a self-deprecating mode that is appealing. (Sorry, ladies, if I mispelled your names: at my age, I am happy to remember them!)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,353 • Replies: 19
No top replies

littlek

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 08:57 am
Have you seen Mad TV? There are some funny and attrctive women there. I think Janeane Garafalo is appealing, but I'm not a guy, so my tastes are skewed.

Trying to think of women comediens - problem is I can never remember names.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 08:59 am
Wot about our own lovely and wonderful Lenny Bruce? (Too rarely seen - but a wonder - in the forum, to talk to, and, I gather, on stage.)
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 09:02 am
The SNL and Mad ladies come most readily to mind. I don't get much opportunity to see stand ups lately.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 09:05 am
We have some great women comics in Oz! They go to comedy festivals internationally - watch out for 'em.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 09:05 am
Deb, lay some names on us.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 09:12 am
littlek - My son watches Mad TV but somehow I don't connect with it.

We watched Molly Shannon on the best of Molly Shannon,run to promote her movie. I didn't watch SNL when she was part of the cast. I just didn't get her and thought it was an age thing, a generation gap, so I told my son that I didn't get her. He said she wasn't funny, which made me feel better.

I think women today can be funny in some of the same ways men have always been allowed to be funny. For some of us of a certain age, perhaps, we can remember not being allowed to be witty unless we were mordantly witty, if you catch my drift.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 09:13 am
Deb,
You are a one woman forum! Look at the number of posts you have!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 09:16 am
Oooohhh, and the women of christopher guests' movies.... what are their names.....

Catherine O'Hara

Jennifer Coolidge
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 09:18 am
I always like Sheri O'Teri(don't know if it's spelled right) from SNL a few years back. She's the girl that did the cheerleading skit with Will Ferrell. Always thought she was talented.
Wanda Sykes is pretty funny too. Seen her do stand up on comedy central.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 09:18 am
Guest's stock company includes Parker Posey and Catherine IrishnamewhichI'veforgotten.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 09:20 am
Yeah, I started pulling links. If anyone wants to explore further, they can fine 2 more good female comics in that best of show site.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 09:23 am
Back tomorra.....
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 09:24 am
I just went to the mad tv site. I don't recognize a single cast member in this current season.
0 Replies

valgalmypal

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2003 03:26 pm
I have not seen any funnier women on tv than Lucille Ball,and Carol Burnett,and Vicki Lawrence.
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2003 03:28 pm
Lucille Ball was a beautiful woman.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2003 03:57 pm
That was part of the appeal of Lucy, I'm sure. She was a knockout and would do anything for a laugh. I know we're not discussing physical appeal but Lucy was so breakthrough, I just had to mention it.
On the sitcom "Amen" some years ago, there was an episode where the deacons' daughter, played by Anna Maria Horsford, was trying to decide on which outfit she would wear when she gave the reverend of the church, whom she was dating, the ultimatum to either marry her or break up. She was in her bedroom, alone, in a full-length mirror, talking aloud to herself (and the audience), trying on different shoe/hat/belt combinations and it was one of the most hysterical five minutes on television, to me. I laughed 'til I cried and never forgot it.Laughing
Gilda Radner, Lily Tomlin, the characters they created for tv were wild and crazy. Who can forget Roseann Rosannadanna or Edith Ann? I've only seen bits and pieces of Whoopi Goldberg's first stage performance but it looks pretty amazing. Here you have a black woman with a towel on her head pretending to be a California Valley Girl. She had it down to a science, too.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2003 08:55 am
I set this discussion up wrong. I am not looking for opinions on who was or is good looking but rather for the changes in the kind of comedy a woman is allowed to do. There was a time when women to be funny had to make themselves unattractive and act loud and shrewish. They were denied ethnic humor, or topical humor, and, until recently, slapstick.

Yes, Lucille Ball was a knockout, but she was kept in a slightly out of date look during her television show, although she was the executive producer. She generally wrapped her head in a turban, which was long out of date. What does that say? That a smart woman realized to be funny she had to be a touch frumpy.

Loud women are still with us, still to be funny. The latest example is the annoying Ali of the CBS day time show, Jack and Ali or Ali and Jack. What an idiot. Compare her with someone like Rachel Draitch of SNL who is funny because she is good actress.
0 Replies

Jollygood

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2003 03:56 pm
Ellen Degeneres man! Do you think she's funny?!! I love Ellen! Maybe this isn't an opinions discussion..or is it? You know who else makes me laugh?! Sophia from Golden Girls! LOL Exclamation
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2003 05:28 pm
Janinie Garafalo is a hottie, so is Victoria Jackson!
0 Replies