Brandon9000

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2008 10:33 am
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:

parados wrote:

Section 2302 section b of Title 5 quite clearly states.

(b) Any employee who has authority to take, direct others to take, recommend, or approve any personnel action, shall not, with respect to such authority"
(1) discriminate for or against any employee or applicant for employment"
(E) on the basis of marital status or political affiliation
(10)discriminate for or against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of conduct which does not adversely affect the performance of the employee or applicant or the performance of others; except that nothing in this paragraph shall prohibit an agency from taking into account in determining suitability or fitness any conviction of the employee or applicant for any crime under the laws of any State, of the District of Columbia, or of the United States;

Thank you. I'll take a look.

I consider item "E" relevant. A complete statement in context is:

Quote:

(b) Any employee who has authority to take, direct others to take, recommend, or approve any personnel action, shall not, with respect to such authority"

(1) discriminate for or against any employee or applicant for employment"

(A) on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, or national origin, as prohibited under section 717 of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 (42 U.S.C. 2000e"16);
(B) on the basis of age, as prohibited under sections 12 and 15 of the Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967 (29 U.S.C. 631, 633a);
(C) on the basis of sex, as prohibited under section 6(d) of the Fair Labor Standards Act of 1938 (29 U.S.C. 206 (d));
(D) on the basis of handicapping condition, as prohibited under section 501 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (29 U.S.C. 791); or
(E) on the basis of marital status or political affiliation, as prohibited under any law, rule, or regulation;

Title 5, and the whole "United States Code," is a compilation of the US law from various sources. I find it strange that the other items on the above list give citations to the specific act they come from, but that item E does not. I'm not saying it wasn't from a real law, but it would be interesting to know what law it is in. In any event, I still suspect that politically motivated hiring and firing is common and doesn't rise to the level of disastrous policies as alleged in the opening post.
0 Replies