Jonathan Drori: Why we don’t understand as much as we think we do

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 07:14 pm
Starting with four basic questions (that you may be surprised to find you can't answer), Jonathan Drori looks at the gaps in our knowledge -- and specifically, what we don't about science that we might think we do. Through it all he talks about teaching and testing methods in the United States and the UK that ensure correct answers to the question rather than ensure demonstration of an understanding of the concept.

Drori asks four questions. Try answering them for yourself, then watch his presentation at last year's TED conference.

Here are the four questions:

http://lh3.ggpht.com/Butrflynet/SMHVHQhEeVI/AAAAAAAAAZU/K6KJc_SoU-A/s800/4questions.jpg

And here are two bonus questions from the end of his presentation:

http://lh5.ggpht.com/Butrflynet/SMHTqI2_FxI/AAAAAAAAAYg/B8pXLh0UpjE/s800/homework.jpg

Drori's bio:

Jonathan Drori has dedicated his career to media and learning. As the Head of Commissioning for BBC Online, he led the effort to create bbc.co.uk, the online face of the BBC (an effort he recalls fondly). He came to the web from the TV side of the BBC, where as an editor and producer he headed up dozens of television series on science, education and the arts.
After almost two decades at the BBC, he's now a director at Changing Media Ltd., a media and education consultancy, and is a visiting professor at University of Bristol, where he studies educational media and misperceptions in science. He continues to produce the occasional TV series, including 2004's award-winning "The DNA Story."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 2,264 • Replies: 3
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 07:24 pm
@Butrflynet,
The seed gets nourishment from the water, soil and the sun.
Yes, by connecting the negative and positive to the bulb.
The earth's angle to the sun.
No. I'm not even sure I can name all the planets. LOL
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2008 07:55 am
@Butrflynet,
I'm greatful for google's help with such questions. It makes me look smarter than I am.

BBB
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2008 07:58 am
@Butrflynet,
The planet's orbits are elliptical, with the sun at one focus, and their names are Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, and Neptune. Pluto is no longer considered a planet.
0 Replies