Is taking his picture legal?

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 12:17 am
@Ticomaya,
Ticomaya wrote:

OCCOM BILL wrote:
Do you know something to the contrary? A quick google search confirmed my memory:

I was specifically referring to the "One Party Consent" laws.

I would think the recording of audio on a video camera would be analyzed under the same law as pertain to wiretapping and eavesdropping. Thus, in Kansas and Arizona, it would be permissible so long as one party was aware of the recording. Of course don't record where a party has a reasonable expectation of privacy.
Huh? How would that be a meaningful distinction, if the party doing the recording wasn't planning on being among those recorded... which the covert nature of the question would imply? I don't see how a "One Party Consent" law would apply, since the questioner doesn't seem to be planning on being among those recorded. I doubt any of the "One Party Consent" laws are written to mean that only the party doing the recording need consent to his own deed... that would render the law utterly useless, wouldn't it?
Ticomaya

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 12:34 am
@OCCOM BILL,
We've moved past the initial question on this thread, O'Bill. The poster was only talking about taking pictures. I've no idea if they intend video, but if so, it doesn't sound like it would be catching any audio if it were "covert".

That being said, I've no idea what you mean by it not being a meaningful distinction. The legality of recording of audio falls under the wiretapping and eavesdropping laws of the state where it's being recorded, as I said. I don't see why it would be different if the audio is being picked up by a video recorder. But if you believe I'm incorrect, I'm willing to be convinced otherwise.
OCCOM BILL

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 02:58 am
@Ticomaya,
Ticomaya wrote:

We've moved past the initial question on this thread, O'Bill.
No, we haven't . You responded to my response to the opening question... so that remains the context.

Ticomaya wrote:
The poster was only talking about taking pictures. I've no idea if they intend video, but if so, it doesn't sound like it would be catching any audio if it were "covert".
Questioner inquired whether (presumably) covert pictures would be legal. I answered yes, volunteered that a movie would also be, but audio would not. From what you've posted so far, I'll continue to assume I was correct.

Ticomaya wrote:
That being said, I've no idea what you mean by it not being a meaningful distinction. The legality of recording of audio falls under the wiretapping and eavesdropping laws of the state where it's being recorded, as I said. I don't see why it would be different if the audio is being picked up by a video recorder. But if you believe I'm incorrect, I'm willing to be convinced otherwise.
That wasn't the distinction I found meaningless. Meaningless is the difference between 1 and 2 party consent laws when the person doing the recording isn't one of the persons being recorded, as explained.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2009 12:05 pm
@joefromchicago,
wrong..the law in USA prohibits the taking of a recognizable photo of someone without a model release.
joefromchicago

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2009 01:03 pm
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:

wrong..the law in USA prohibits the taking of a recognizable photo of someone without a model release.

Which law might that be?
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2009 01:06 pm
@joefromchicago,
That would also be news to all the popperatzi.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2009 01:10 pm
@aquestion,
In my opinion is is legal to take pictures in any public place in which photo taking is not expressly prohibited.

There was a time when you could not use the recognizable photo of a person taken in a private setting for commercial purposes--i.e. in a magazine or tabloid--without getting a signed release, but there is no guarantee of privacy in anybody's putlic activities.

I am not a lawyer, however, and some of our legal eagles might have a better grasp on current law.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2009 01:16 pm
I have a semi-related question: Is it legal to take a picture from your apartment of someone in their apartment if they are hot, naked, and changing in front of their window, and your window happens to look right into their window from across the way?
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2009 01:36 pm
@kickycan,
By all means; sounds like exhibitionists to me! LOL
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2009 03:58 pm
@kickycan,
I'd have to see the photos before I could offer my considered legal opinion.
0 Replies

Pepijn Sweep

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2010 08:24 am
@cicerone imposter,
Say Cheese !
0 Replies

surovi

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2012 11:42 pm
no it is n't legal. avoid it
0 Replies

nothingtodo

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2012 08:17 pm
@aquestion,
In Britain The MOD and intelligence branches take pictures of people, they have no evidence against.

I therefore never argue about it.

It can be irritating though, since it arrives disguised and you end up scratching your head. They are very good though, you often do not realise til later.
Ragman

Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2012 12:11 am
@nothingtodo,
You may not realize that replying to an old thread. The OPs question to which you're replying was posed about 4 yrs ago. Better check the timestamp as this thread's last post has been inactive for more than 11 months and some of the members are not logging onto the site anymore.
nothingtodo

Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2012 02:18 pm
@Ragman,
Oh, sorry about that, I had not noticed.. I assumed (since I do not really dig too far into the pages) that they were recent.
Thank you for the courteous attitude.
0 Replies

sanewarne

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2013 12:20 pm
@aquestion,
It's not illegal to take a someone picture in US.
Ragman

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2013 12:24 pm
@sanewarne,
Wrong. Under certain circusmtances, it is illegal.
Ticomaya

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2013 12:47 pm
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:

You mean to say it's illegal for me to take those pictures of my neighbor gal in the shower through her window ... is that what you're trying to tell me?!!

What is this, Russia?!!
0 Replies

timur

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2013 01:01 pm
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:

Right.

Quote:
photographs taken from public places that depict someone within their home in a situation where they expect privacy, for instance through a window using a telephoto lens, will be actionable.
0 Replies

Binary175

Reply Sun 27 Jan, 2013 03:14 pm
I don't know of anyplace in the U.S. where it's illegal to take photos in a public area. If it's front of the mistress' apartment, that's a public location.