Defragmenting

Montana

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2003 08:49 pm
I'm trying to defrag my computer, but for an hour it only makes it to 2% then keeps going back to the beginning. Any help would be appreciated. This has never happened before.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,170 • Replies: 29
No top replies

Tartarin

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2003 08:53 pm
I've had that happen, Montana, but it didn't happen last time I defragged. It may be because I made sure there would be no interference: no sleepy-times, no screen savers, nothing running to upset its arrogant little rectangles.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2003 08:57 pm
It's a pain for sure. I haven't defraged in awhile, so maybe that's it, but I doubt it.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2003 09:02 pm
You have some program running in the background that is writing to your hard drive, and every time it changes it, the defrag program restarts.

Re-boot in safe mode (press and hold F8 when booting up) and start the defrag again. That should do it.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2003 09:05 pm
A techie told me, re Windows, to defrag often. Windows gets clogged arteries very easily these days I hope they die and are replaced by something more sensible.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2003 11:05 pm
PDiddie wrote:
You have some program running in the background that is writing to your hard drive, and every time it changes it, the defrag program restarts.

Re-boot in safe mode (press and hold F8 when booting up) and start the defrag again. That should do it.

OK, I'll try that. Thanks ;-)
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2003 11:07 pm
What do you mean by safe mode though. I have a MS-DOS mode, but everytime I touch that thing I have to call my brother to help me get out of it.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2003 11:08 pm
Tartarin wrote:
A techie told me, re Windows, to defrag often. Windows gets clogged arteries very easily these days I hope they die and are replaced by something more sensible.

I know what you mean. It's a pain in the ass.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2003 11:55 pm
PDiddie
I tried your method and it didn't work. I was probably doing it wrong :-(

The good news is that I went to my HP help guide and it helped me solve my problem, so it's all fixed :-) What it told me to do is the ctrl-alt-delete and to end task on everything in the box except explorer and wa la :-D

I should have checked the HP help in the first place, duh!!!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 12:58 am
Please pardon my utter ignorance, but could someone explain to me what a "defrag" is & why it's good for my computer? Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 02:35 am
My pleasure Olga. It is important to defragment your computer every now and then because it organizes all your files and free's up your available space. I'm sure someone can come up with a more technical and better explaination, but that's pretty much it in a nutshell. By defragmenting, your computer will work better as well. I usually do mine every week or so if I find the time. Tonight was the first time I did it in over a month because either I'm on the computer or my son is using it or I just don't have time.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 02:39 am
Also, before you defragment you want to empty your trash bin and delete your cookies so you can get rid of all that unneeded and unwanted junk that just takes up space on your computer.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 06:16 am
Well, deleting cookie is another matter. I live in the boonies and do all but my grocery shopping online, which means that some of my cookies contain codes for the merchants, letting them know I am who I am, and keeping track of my credit card numbers. I'd like to find a whiz-bang cookie sorter, if anyone knows one. When a security problem with Abuzz cropped up, I had to comb through my cookies really carefully to make sure all Abuzz connections were off my hard drive... BO-ring!
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 02:50 pm
I can see where that would be a problem for you Tartarin :-( I wish I knew of a cookie sorter that could kind of bookmark the ones you want to save, but I'm sure someone could help you out there if there is one in existance. Might be a good topic to start ;-)
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 03:00 pm
You could try flagging the individual cookie files as "read only." That way, they won't be deleted. Not sure if they will still function as read only files though. Good thing for someone to test and let us know the results.

If you need help with flagging them as "read only" let me know.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 03:02 pm
Thanks, Butrflynet! No, I want a gremlin to sort through them for me. The problem with cookies is that they are often hard to identify. Some are pretty easy, others are impossible.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 03:04 pm
I should be more specific. I want a magic program which will run through the cookies telling me things like "That's a cookie from that chef's supply place that cheated you" or "That's the great bookstore you found in Alabama..."
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 03:07 pm
LOL! Good luck with that.
0 Replies

smokingunne

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2003 05:15 pm
Tartarin
Smile How my XP Home works is I right click "start button" then choose "explore" and find my username, under my name is a file simply named "Cookies" open that and the cookies are all there with the name of the site they came from. Right click and delete those you know you don't need, and even you do delete one in error it will not be the end of the world, it just means you will have to log in again to the site you deleted. That is how mine is set-up and probably yours too if it is XP. :wink:
0 Replies

profhig

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2003 02:20 am
re-Post subject: Defragmenting and cookies.
i defrag regularly, and delete all temp files and cookies at leat weekly. i use 'roboform' to keep all sensitive information and save log ins etc. it also works like favourites, and automatically logs you in. i have no trouble with sites that require cookies. my privacy is more important than their ability to track my surfing and spam me with what THEY think i might like. Drunk
0 Replies