There's no speed limit on German autobahns ...

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2008 09:43 am

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2008 10:12 am
@Walter Hinteler,
That has been filmed downhill on the Autobahn A8 Ulm - Stuttgart

http://i34.tinypic.com/2cwne48.jpg
hamburger

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2008 02:24 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
must have been my b-i-l driving ....
whenever we visited in germany b-i-l would drive us around in his benz . he likes driving fast , so when he'd come to about 150km/h , mrs h would mention "casually" that she was about ready to throw up ... SLOWING DOWN > GRIN !
hbg
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2008 03:50 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
One rock and that guy is toast.
Thomas

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2008 03:53 pm
@DrewDad,
Quote:

I think hamburger, or Sloppy Joe, might be closer to it.

But they probably shot this just after the Kehrwoch for the Autobahn, when there couldn't possibly have been a pebble on it.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2008 04:54 pm
We're warned not to try this at home.

Our bedroom is pretty large -- the entire top floor -- but I don't think it's quite roomy enough to give it a shot. I appreciate the warning, though.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2008 04:59 pm
@DrewDad,
Quote:

a rock on the autobahn ? you gotta be kidding !
hbg

http://freenet-homepage.de/ourpuzzleofepisodes/pics/autobahn2.jpg

only 130 km ? SHAMEFUL ! <GRIN>

0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2008 07:00 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

That has been filmed downhill on the Autobahn A8 Ulm - Stuttgart

http://i34.tinypic.com/2cwne48.jpg

That's weird. I'm used to seeing those arrows going from Germany into the Sudetenland, not the other way around.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2008 07:13 pm
It is untrue, by the way, that there is no speed limit on the Autobahn. The limit is 670,616,629.4 miles per hour, and those who would exceed it do so at their peril.
hamburger

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2008 07:56 pm
@joefromchicago,
joe wrote :

Quote:
speed limit

you mean "geschwindigkeitsbegrenzung" don't you ? > GRIN
(don't even know if i spelled it correctly) .
apperently there is no MAXIMUM speed limit but a RICHTGESCHWINDIGKEIT (suggested speed ) of 130 km .

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/53/Zeichen_393.svg/180px-Zeichen_393.svg.png

when walter get's up in the morning he can bring us up-to-date .
hbg
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 08:57 am
@hamburger,
The sign, hamburger posed above, shows the 'Richtgeschwindigkeit' for autobahns (and other speed limits) = 'recommended speed'.

On the autobahns, you've very often speedlimits, mostly http://www.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/4623429/2/istockphoto_4623429_schild_mit_geschwindigkeitsbegrenzung_130_km_h_tempolimit_auf_autobahn.jpg
wandeljw

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 09:55 am
@Walter Hinteler,
When my uncle in Saarbrucken drove me to Duisburg on the autobahn, he told me those signs only referred to "recommended" speed limits.

Walter, is it still true that in Germany the #1 cause of death for those under age 35 is autobahn accident?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 05:30 am
@wandeljw,
I don't really know, jw, if that was ever true.

The main reason for car accident deaths with younger drivers (below 27) is ... inexperience and alcohol, happens mostly on Saturday nights.

----------

Police tries to found out more about the skateboarder and the accompaning vehicles: there's a press conference announced for later today. (It's a speed limit of 80km/h there .... and they did 100 and more Wink )
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 05:46 am
My memory of driving through Germany (over a decade ago) was that the sppeds only got really high on the Autobahn well away from populated areas. And it was always orderly. Granted, only travelled long distances during the day and did so during August, when many Germans are away on holiday... But the safety of self-organization balanced out the added danger of high speed. By comparison, the kids I see driving their tuners at 100mph/160km/h outside Chicago and Milwaukee here, where the notion of a "fast lane" seems not to exist and where nobody is paying much attention to anyone else are an absolute menace.

Had similar experiences driving in Spain and Italy: because of the way people drive, driving really damn fast just seemed safer there than it does in most of the US.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 05:57 am
@Walter Hinteler,
The impression I had the last time I was there was that most autobahn traffic moved at around 80 - 85 mph.
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2008 03:10 am
I think driving on the autobahn is very often very stressful. You have to watch everyone around you. The slow guy in the right lane who suddenly decides he wants to pass the even slower guy ahead and you are on the left lane going 180 km/h... The fast guy in the Mercedes or Porsche who comes up behind you and is going 220 km/h. Where did he suddenly come from? And there is so much traffic...
patiodog

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2008 09:25 am
@urs53,
Hmm. Well, I learned to drive in an old pickup on Los Angeles freeways, so being in a trim sedan on the autobahn seems pleasant and orderly by comparison...
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2008 02:44 am
@Walter Hinteler,
I wonder if this video is no longer available because of this:

Police hunt high-speed skateboard outlaw

Quote:
Police are trying to track down a man filmed riding a skateboard down a steep stretch of south German motorway at 100 km an hour (62 mph), far above the speed limit.

There are no speed limits on German motorways but there are restrictions on many sections, especially steep and dangerous stretches. The section the skateboarder was using has an 80 km an hour (50 mph) speed limit.

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2008 05:17 am
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

I wonder if this video is no longer available because of this:

Police hunt high-speed skateboard outlaw

No, not at all (police investigations started already last week).

It's still online, three times by now, only with different URLs

0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2008 06:32 am
I'm amused that 62 in a 50 is considered "far above the speed limit."