Very Old Films Can Trigger Memories

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2008 10:12 pm
Earlier today, I undertook to watch, for the first time, State Fair. While I didn't make it through the entire film, I did notice one interesting (to me) fact. Two of the actors drank cokes, using two straws to the glass. It jogged my memory to a time when everyone used two straws. I don't recall the year, but I do recall that I noticed it when one straw became the norm. I felt reluctant to let the extra straw go, but quickly adjusted. Now I think back, my entire life is based on such trivial cognitions and happenings. Loss of Sen-Sen. The passing of Fearless Fosdick from the public eye. Discovering the other day, that Ham Fisher, creator of Joe Palooka, once employed Al Capp, creator of Lil Abner. Fisher tried to sabotage Capp's career. This bit of information is more important to me than anyone could imagine. The feel of oily pavement beneath my bare feet, after the street out front, for the first time, got paved. Crayola Crayons changing their colors. So many useless facts, so little time . . .

NickFun

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2008 10:26 pm
@edgarblythe,
Funny how we used to have three channels and there was always something good on. Now we have 300 and there never is. I never complained about 10 songs on an album. Now we have 5,000 songs on a iPod. We used to talk to each other a lot more then. Kids did sports, ran and stayed trim.

I better not think too hard about this!
0 Replies