Boomers

Reply Sat 20 Jul, 2019 11:03 pm
The older I get, the more I feel nostalgic about the world of my childhood. I just suddenly had to see an episode of "Have Gun Will Travel," for the first time in 7 or 8 years. Sometimes, I'll dig up an old commercial from my childhood and watch it. I miss my home town and sometimes roam the streets on Google Street View. I miss lots of things from those days.

What is something that you feel nostalgic about?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 10 • Views: 861 • Replies: 12
No top replies

jespah

Reply Sun 21 Jul, 2019 05:58 am
@Brandon9000,
I miss finding new music and loving it immediately. I still do, but those occasions are becoming exceedingly rare.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Sun 21 Jul, 2019 06:03 am
Once or twice a year my mother would take me to NYC. And what I recall with the most nostalgia is the sweet scent of the leaded exhaust — the city smelled like Chiclets!

0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sun 21 Jul, 2019 06:33 am
@Brandon9000,
I miss catching frogs in the creek and finding fossilized sharks teeth with my friends. I miss thinking about things with a fresh brain.
jespah

Reply Sun 21 Jul, 2019 08:54 am
@rosborne979,
Where did you find shark's teeth? I remember when I was a wee jes (as in age 6 or so) finding fossils across the street from my grandparents' place in North Miami Beach. There was a shopping mall going up, so the soil was all turned over. So this was maybe somewhere between 1967 and 1969.
chai2

Reply Sun 21 Jul, 2019 10:33 am
I miss there being basically 2 times a year where you would get gifts, or new stuff that wasn't a necessity. Birthday and hanukkah/christmas.

The delightful torturous anticipation. The it being so special and different from the everyday.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 22 Jul, 2019 04:32 am
@jespah,
We were finding them in Ramanessin Brook in New Jersey. We called it The Creek back then. And as far as I knew, nobody knew what was in that creek except us. Now that it’s the Internet age, everyone now knows. You can find it on Google and YouTube.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 22 Jul, 2019 09:58 am
I miss my daughter telling me my kisses are magical.

Now she doesn't want a kiss from her mommy.
farmerman

Reply Mon 22 Jul, 2019 10:17 am
@Linkat,
I fondly recall gangs of us wandering the country roads on our Schwinns and Columbia Bikes, sarching for the elusive "Snot Otter" and playing Pick-up ball aginst whoever showed up.

Our parents would join swimming pool associtions just to keep us (the 10 yer old hoi palloy) from getting in trouble nd at least guaranteeing a bath once a day
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 22 Jul, 2019 01:59 pm
@farmerman,
We looked for micrasters (and other fossils)in the old and, of course forbidden, still working quarries. They were called Jew hearts ("Judenherz"), and the local museum of my hometown has about a dozen of those (one found be me, an echinoidea, holaster subglobosum).

farmerman

Reply Tue 23 Jul, 2019 05:02 am
@Walter Hinteler,
as a Boomer kid, I lived summertime as this unending time of complete freedom to do as I pleasd.
However, as I got into my early teens, I always wanted to accompany my Uncle Stosh on his treks into the NM/Utah and Az desrts doing his prospecting. He made a lot of money being a free lancer and purchaser of old claims and re developing them. (Mostly hed develop a lot of re from the ol mines dump piles)

My mom would orry the entire month Id be gone and STosh would always make me write her to "keep yer mom quiet" (Stosh was my dad' brother).
I ate rattlesnake, drank Rainier Beers and wed live like Apaches. I learned more about survival skills (actually they were "Thrival" skills).
I miss my summer ventures with Uncle Stosh.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 23 Jul, 2019 05:03 am
@Walter Hinteler,
you still have any specimens that you kept into your adulthood?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 23 Jul, 2019 05:39 am
@farmerman,
No, I even didn't keep them at home (for long): my father was the chairman of the local history club who runs the museum (some pieces of the >paleontological collection< are online).
0 Replies