Canadians/Americans

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2003 05:14 pm
First of all to all Americans, we your Canadian neighbours love having you as our neighbours. Regardless of whether we (Canadians) have a choice, as I write this, makes a difference or not. We (Canadians) receive at best minisule coverage of our own woes (from the American media> , and if and when we do (like SARS) it is CNN'd to death. I wouldn't expect the US media to cover things the way (in Canada) things are.

The differences largely stem from our political views. There are some politicians in Canada who think we should cowtow to almost anything American, and think it's 'anti-American' if, for instance, we decide not to enter the Iraq conflict. Such a decision was not based on -anti-American-, but rather against the notion that the United Nations, should (or should not) heed world attention. If in doubt about American policies (re: foreign affairs) then it might be best to LISTEN to Canadians. We do, up here in Canada, have a perspective that is quite unrelated to the CNN version of things. It isn't that we are right or wrong; worthy (or not) of being listened too! We have far less impact from the 'Bible' groups, although they don't just stop because we are Canadians, than the US does. Some 'groups' think that Canadians are, by nature, evil and the opposite of 'God's Chosen People'. We are the anti-Christ, compared to Christ.

Ultimately though, we are neighours, we know that neighbours may not always agree, but we respect one another's right to be agreeable or not. In fact we can learn from one another.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,308 • Replies: 60
No top replies

deniZen

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2003 05:25 pm
Re: Canadians/Americans
canadiangoliath wrote:
Some 'groups' think that Canadians are, by nature, evil and the opposite of 'God's Chosen People'. We are the anti-Christ, compared to Christ.

Nooo, I don't believe that. I thought Canadians were fictitious South Park characters all this time.

Smile
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2003 05:52 pm
canajuns aren't god's chosen people, we are the globe's chosen people. just to keep that straight.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2003 06:43 pm
ehBeth wrote:
canajuns aren't god's chosen people, we are the globe's chosen people. just to keep that straight.

Yup ;-)
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2003 07:08 pm
Honust ta gawd, Montana, somedays you seem soooo canajun, eh.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2003 10:37 pm
Uhhh, well I'd say we have the same proportion of right wing nuts, can anyone say Stephen Harper and the almighty alliance.

As for CNN, does anyone take it seriously. When they actually start reporting the news, not just the headlines - over and over and over and over again - maybe then it'll get some respect, 'til then I think I'll flip the channel.

Eh! and Montana, Canadian Chicks Rock.
Ceili
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2003 11:14 pm
ehBeth wrote:
Honust ta gawd, Montana, somedays you seem soooo canajun, eh.

Why thank you Beth and right bach at ya ;-) Makes a woman proud, eh :-D
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2003 11:16 pm
Ceili wrote:
Uhhh, well I'd say we have the same proportion of right wing nuts, can anyone say Stephen Harper and the almighty alliance.

As for CNN, does anyone take it seriously. When they actually start reporting the news, not just the headlines - over and over and over and over again - maybe then it'll get some respect, 'til then I think I'll flip the channel.

Eh! and Montana, Canadian Chicks Rock.
Ceili

You bet ya we do, eh ;-)

Rock on!!!!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 05:03 am
Damn Canajuns . . .

Damn feriners . . .
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 02:52 pm
LOL!

You love us and you know it ;-) You're not fooling anyone here Setanta ;-)
0 Replies

deniZen

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 05:16 pm
Is it true that a lot of Canadians don't lock their doors when they go out? Shocked
I refer to Michael Moore's docu-movie 'Bowling For Columbine'
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 06:19 pm
It depends on where you live, deni zen.
I grew up in a prison town - doors were always kept locked.
Now I live in Toronto - doors are always locked.
Then again, twice lately, I've taken the dogs for walks and forgotten to close the back door - and things have been alright - though the very tall fence around my city yard might have been a factor.

Setanta lives in the U.S. and rarely seems to lock his door.

Very dependent on the community.

errrrrr, and this is for Setanta - Canajun girls kick @ss (and you know it :wink: )
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 06:19 pm
I rarely lock my doors for the house or the car and I live in a fairly major city. About a million in the area. I'm not that unusual but it's is becoming scarcer. Small towns are not as paranoid.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 06:21 pm
psssssssst, Ceili - don't forget to let us know when you're heading toward the Ottawa area. It's not that far from t.o., in the global scheme of things.

Maybe a little roadtrip for the tranna crew?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 06:58 pm
c.g., WELCOME to A2K. From my perspective, I've always had good thoughts and experiences in Canada. Guess I've visited canajun country about a dozen times, *and I know I've repeated this many times, but my wife and I just completed a trans-Canada Train Tour last month, and we both enjoyed ourselves tremendously. On the first leg of our trip from Toronto to Jasper, we had some Brits on the same cars. They sort of monopolized the front of the vista car. We saw all the beautiful scenery, and some wild animals including deers, bears, eagles, llamas, goats, sheep, and some cajuns. When we were in Toronto, Chef Paul (cav), catered a special dinner for us at his home. We met some folks on the trip that we continue to communicate with. Hope to visit Canada again.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 10:02 pm
Eh! I won't be in and around Toronto until next summer at the very least. But if there is a change of plans I'll let you all know.

c.i. You say the nicest things about my homeland. After the summer this country has endured from fires, floods, sars, mad cow, west nile and so on it's nice to know we ain't all that bad.;-}
Ceili
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2003 10:29 am
In my area no one locks their doors, but since I moved up here from the Boston area, I always lock mine. It's funny to see the surprise on peoples faces when they come over and can't open the door. The one thing I don't think I could ever get used to is how everyone here doesn't bother with doorbells or knocking, they just walk right in. That just rubs me the wrong way, but they can't do it at my house ;-)
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2003 10:33 am
I urge tolerance.

Don't hate Canadians!

Hate the sin, not the sinner.

If Jesus can forgive them then so can I.

tee hee
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2003 10:38 am
Evil or Very Mad Razz
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2003 10:38 am
Montana, We live in one of the safest cities in the US, but I'm sure most of us lock our doors - most of the time - out of habit. There's been times when we have left our back door unlocked, but we've been lucky. Wink
0 Replies