HP Pavilion dv9000

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2008 06:30 am
or something like that.
What this laptop says on its body VS what the computer says are two different things.
The specs are - HP Pavilion DV9920US 17" Notebook
2.0 GHz - Mobile, Turion - 4.0 GB RAM - 250 GB Hard Drive - 17" Display

I financed it through Conns, where that dang TV that just sits on the wall came from.
Again, this is an attempt at boosting my credit.. BUT.. I absolutely need a computer.

What I am hoping for is that this computer will carry my photo editing software well and allow me to continue working on photography as a second job with out the big desktop computer.

I have 30 days to return it if I am not satisfied ....

So i was wondering if anyone uses one of these? I could REALLY use some outside opinions.
I have been reading reviews online but for the most part it seems that the majority of people write their review minutes after opening it. Well, ANYTHING that is brand new, I expect to work perfectly and be happy with it. And that is what the reviews I am finding say.

I want to hear about people who have used this thing for a while.

Any bugs?

It uses Windows vista. ( Insert eye roll here)
But, the guy at the store guaranteed me that anything that worked on Win98 ,XP would work on Vista. And I dont see that I have much of an option because there are no laptops for sale with XP that I dont have to have the entire purchase price up front.
( this is financed for 3 years. I financed it at 1/3 the amount I can truly afford and will pay this off in 15 months or less) So being able to finance something was the most important thing. I dont have a thousand dollars just laying around other wise.
But I am getting side tracked.

The programs I want to run on this thing are -
Photoshop CS2
Z-Brush
Lightroom ( adobe)
Several small side companies' plug ins for Photoshop. Nothing extreme..mostly presets and actions

Hmm.. those are pretty much the only major programs I want to run.
But my coffee has not kicked in yet so I may remember another program here in a minute or two.

The graphics card is a heforce go 7150 m .... which, I have absolutely NO understanding of.. but frm what I read is pretty good yes? it should handle what I need?

This computer is mainly for photo work, editing and internet.
No games. No movies.. though.. it does have DVD capability which is pretty sweet... but.. not what I want to use this thing for..

Other then that I dont know too much about this thing. Im still learning.
HP would not have been my first choice, I was thinking Sony Viao.. but... add another 500.00 to it first, THEN reduce the screen size, THEN make it ugly rusty red color.. Bleeeuuuccch.

So.. Opinions? Ideas? Thoughts?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,677 • Replies: 14

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2008 06:32 am
@shewolfnm,
Ooops.
I think I quoted the wrong specs.
Again.. I am finding other things on this computer so Im sorry!

the informtion tag says -
HP Pav ilion dv9913cl

which makes it THIS computer

well.....

I cant insert the link for it. Its way too long and there is no way to insert link into your message.. ?? unless I am missing something?
shewolfnm

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2008 06:59 am
@shewolfnm,
http://www.mamboat.com/laptops/2006/08/31/hp-pavilion-dv9000t/

Ok. there it is. That is the one I have.

And my very first annoyance with this laptop is the SIZE of the buttons and the touch pad.
Either I have small fingers or everything seems over sized to the point of interfering with my typing.
Using the touch pad almost requires both hands for me as.. where you would usually just use your thumb to press the button while using your finger to navigate... well.. the space is just too big.
The touch pad is not very sensitive neither is the button.

Minor irritation.. really..
Eva

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2008 07:05 am
@shewolfnm,
If you're gonna do photo editing on a laptop, get yourself a USB mouse!

You'll drive yourself crazy trying to use the internal one.
shewolfnm

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2008 07:19 am
@Eva,
I figured that one out this morning.. ( she says through grinding teeth)
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2008 11:44 am
@Eva,
I'd go one step further and get a wireless mouse.
shewolfnm

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2008 01:10 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

I'd go one step further and get a wireless mouse.

I was looking at wireless this afternoon.
Given what I want to do, I think that is the best idea.

My idea for this is to 'sell' almost instant photo turn around during the christmas season. People want to give out photos and photo CDs for christmas presents. With this laptop, I can travel to them, take the photos, upload them, go to a coffee shop and have lunch or something while I make final touches.... burn the disk and then hand it to them in 2 hours or less for an added fee.

A usb mouse will work in home where I am not moving the computer. But for easy , quick travel, a wireless might be best all around.

Anyone know how to activate wireless internet on a laptop?
I have wireless in my home, but I can not get the computer to connnect to it unless I use a DSL cable.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2008 02:30 pm
shewolf, I linked the laptop computer my wife uses by D-Link. It works real good.
shewolfnm

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2008 02:38 pm
@cicerone imposter,
what is that?
firefly

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2008 03:26 pm
@shewolfnm,
I have a HP 17" laptop, dv9700US, and I've had it for about 6 months. I love it, and I've not really had any problems at all with it. I bought mine as a desktop replacement and I use it mainly for Web surfing and everyday things.

I like Windows Vista, and the laptop has more than enough memory to handle it. Except for serious gaming, I think the laptop can easily deal with most other software applications. I can't comment on battery life because I really don't generally run it only on the battery.

I use an optical laptop mouse rather than the touchpad. I'm not sure a wireless mouse is necessary. The one I use plugs into the side of the laptop, and easily unplugs and goes into the laptop bag if I want to go somewhere. One disadvantage of the 17" screen is the size and weight of the laptop--it's heavier and bulkier to tote around. I don't plan on travelling around much with mine, and I wanted the larger screen.

I have another computer, a desktop, and that computer, and my modem are both connected to a Netgear 802.11g Wireless Router. The first time I started my laptop it immediately picked up the wireless signal from the router without my doing anything. The laptop has built-in wireless capacity, so nothing has to be connected if you already have a home network. If you don't have a home network, I imagine you must plug your modem directly into your laptop. However, if you take the laptop out, to any place that has a wireless signal, the laptop should be able to pick that signal up.

If you are having problems with the laptop picking up the signal from your home network, call HP and ask them for help. I have called them once with a question and had no difficulty getting a speedy reply.

So, I'm very happy with my HP laptop. It's loaded with features--many of which I haven't even had a chance to use yet. I really have no complaints about it at all.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2008 03:30 pm
@shewolfnm,
D-Link is a WiFi that connects to your computer with a USB linking unit that's about the size of a USB memory card.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2008 05:40 pm
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3045/2819653798_3b448f5b66_b.jpg

flash gordon... wondering why I have not pet him for hours..
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 07:01 pm
@shewolfnm,
Check to see if there is a switch to turn your wifi on and off. My laptop has one and it took me a while to figure out where it was and turn it on.
firefly

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 08:25 pm
@parados,
This is from the HP Web site--they mention the wifi on/off button.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&cc=us&docname=c00812957&dlc=en&product=3743995

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 09:03 pm
@firefly,
I found the button, but what I was missing was the 10 digit key code from the bottom of my 2wire box.

Simple fix Smile Now, Im wireless
0 Replies