Sarah Palin wants creationism taught in science classes

farmerman

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2008 07:45 pm
I propose that we teach the "Virgin Birth" in science class (and I certainly dont mean pathenogenesis).

I believe that MMis aware why Creationism violates the US Constitution, hes just being a Republican jihadist.
spendius

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2008 02:14 pm
@farmerman,
I have read that not being able to get gold for your dollar bills violates the constitution fm.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2008 03:29 pm
Quote:
"Sarah Palin wants creationism taught in science classes"

"People in hell want ice-water too, but they ain't gonna get it", as my ex-boss used to say Smile
spendius

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2008 03:34 pm
@rosborne979,
No wonder he's an ex if he trotted out shite like that on a regular basis. He was probably referring to your demands for a raise or somesuch ros.

You can have no creationism in science classes as long as you leave evolution theory out as well.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2008 06:17 pm
Quote:
You can have no creationism in science classes as long as you leave evolution theory out as well.

Is spendi still trying to act retarded or what?
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2008 06:32 pm
@farmerman,
It's not an act; it's for real.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2008 05:02 am
Laughing
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2008 05:57 am
@Thomas,
The Doubting One wrote:
and the Phlogiston theory of fire.

You telling me phlogiston's been falsified????!!!!!!

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

Next damn thing is you're gonna tell me Van Leeuwenhoek's li'l barbs on the pepper grains aren't there!!!

Or miasma............
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2008 06:02 am
Are you lot not fed up yet fishing for red herrings? It's so easy.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2008 09:50 am
We've been over the topic of teaching creationism in science classes so many times on A2K. The answer remains the same.

Creationism is not science. Teaching Creationism, if considered an appropriate topic, should only be taught in Comparative Religions classes. Keep it the hell out of science classes.

BBB
spendius

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2008 10:48 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
What precisely are your qualifications BBB for seeking to determine a national educational policy for 50 million kids. Your post suggests none.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2008 10:49 am
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

What precisely are your qualifications BBB for seeking to determine a national educational policy for 50 million kids. Your post suggests none.

Well, I'd say that she knows the difference between what is Science and what isn't. Better then many on the right wing.

Cycloptichorn
spendius

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2008 10:51 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Science of what?
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2008 10:55 am
@spendius,
What is your qualification for challenging my statement?

BBB
CoastalRat

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2008 11:07 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Intelligence. But we digress.

I know this may shock some of you, but I gotta agree that creationism has no business being taught in a science class. Conversely, I also believe that in teaching evolution, it should be made clear that it does not explain how life began, but rather how living organisms evolve. There is a subtle difference that I think is often lost on everyone.

Of course, I do not claim to know all the finer points of evolution theory or how it is being taught, so my above statement may not reflect the current status of evolutionary theory. Maybe science does now claim to know for a fact how life began.
spendius

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2008 11:11 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
That I'm on A2K and you made the statement. It was a statement that any old gump could have made and education experts will have heard it millions of times. I was wondering why they hadn't consulted you about what to do about the national science curriculum when 3/4 of the population don't particularly want biology taught scientifically and probably 99.9% if it was done rigorously without reference to personal sensitivities.
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2008 11:22 am
@spendius,
You are so clever at creating diversions that it's become funny.

BBB
spendius

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2008 12:52 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
That's one way of not answering. farmerman knows thousands.

The last thing science needs is to be defended by folk who don't know any science. You made the remark.

There's a lot more to biology that the birds and the bees.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2008 08:19 pm
@CoastalRat,
Quote:
Conversely, I also believe that in teaching evolution, it should be made clear that it does not explain how life began, but rather how living organisms evolve. There is a subtle difference that I think is often lost on everyone.

Interestingly, this is exactly what we continually have to remind Creationists.

People who understand Evolution know this, so it must have been explained to them at some point when they learned the theory.

Since Creationists don't seem to know this, I don't think the problem is that it hasn't been explained to them (we've explained it ourselves in bazillions of posts right here on A2K and it still isn't sinking in). I think the problem is that they aren't listening (all the way back into high school). And I think the reason they aren't listening is because evolution isn't really what bothers them. What really bothers them anything in nature which doesn't match biblical literalism (and that's a whole lot of stuff, like carbon dating and fossils and Big Bang and plate tectonics and [gasp] evolution).
Wilso

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2008 09:07 pm
Simple solution. Agree to teach creationism in science classes when they agree to teach evolution at church. Until then, the freaks f@ck off.