Does fabric on walls ruin wallpaper?

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2008 07:26 am
I am a student moving into a rented house, the house is lovely, unfortunately the wallpaper is not. I have read about the pros of applying fabric as a wall covering but am unsure what the consequences will be to the wallpaper underneath that I am not allowed to change.

Does fabric have to be applied to a bare wall surface or can it be put over wallpaper? And is there a danger of removing the wallpaper when removing the fabric at the end of my tenancy?

Any help much appreciated.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 2,503 • Replies: 2
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2008 08:22 am
@angelina papina,
I guess it depends on how you attach the fabric.

I could imagine making some sort of frame -- strips of wood that you nail in to the top of the wall and the bottom (and maybe sides) that hold stretched fabric in place. Could even do this with molding, make it look nice.

Presumably if you use the nails sparingly enough that wouldn't be much worse than hanging some pictures.

I can't imagine that any sort of adhesive wouldn't mess up the wallpaper, though.
0 Replies

angelina papina

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2008 03:21 am
The fabric is starched to the walls which apparently works really well as an adhesive. All tips I have read about how the process works point out that the fabric is good as new after it has been pulled off the wall, and this style of wall covering is suggested for students decorating dorm rooms as it does no damage to the surface underneath. However, no indicator is given as to what is underneath the fabric and I'd assume that 9.9/10 dorm rooms would be painted not papered...

Your wooden frame idea sounds really good but quite time consuming, I can imagine creating a really attractive feature with it but I simply don't have the time : (

Angela.
0 Replies