Does Michael Phelps Have Marfan Syndrome?

Miller

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 05:56 pm
8/19/2008
Does Michael Phelps have Marfan syndrome?

Michael Phelps holds the record for the most gold medals won at a single Olympics, a total of eight, and is arguably the best Olympic athlete ever.

With all NBC ads about "giant feet" and the highly publicized facts about his physical features, some of my colleagues pointed out that Mr. Phelps has quite a few features of Marfan syndrome.

His height is 6'4" and his arm span of 6'7" is greater than his height. According to Cleveland Leader, "that is a ratio of 1.04, which is just shy of the clinical cutoff of 1.05. He is also said to have hypermobile joints in his knees, shoulders and ankles." Mr. Phepls also has large hands and feet. Marfan syndrome is an inherited connective-tissue disorder which presents with tall stature, ectopia lentis, mitral valve prolapse, aortic root dilatation, and aortic dissection.

In his book, "Michael Phelps: Beneath the Surface" written by both Phelps and Brian Cazeneuve, he writes about the scare of the possible diagnosis of Marfan syndrome:

"My heart rate was accelerating and Bob suggested I see the doctor. Because I was very flexible and had long hands and feet. I had some early symptoms of Marfan Syndrome, a disease that affects connective tissues and can be fatal if there is leakage to the vessels that lead to the heart. If you reach out your arms and form a T and your wingspan is longer than your height, you can be at risk. In my case, those measurements have always been very close. I didn't know at the time why the doctor decided to look into this. My mom and Bob didn't want me to freak out, so they told me it was simply a good idea for young athletes to have an EKG test in order to look at the heart.

Fortunately everything was, and still is, okay. I have been tested once a year ever since at John's Hopkins under the direction of Dr. Peter Roe and the tissues are strong, the aortic rout is clear and my heart is in good shape - as long as my Baltimore Ravens are winning."

From page 66, Michael Phelps: Beneath the Surface, Google Books.

From the description above, it looks like Michael Phelps does not fulfill the criteria of a full-blown Marfan syndrome according to his doctors. If he were to have Marfan syndrome however, strenuous exercise would be generally contraindicated according to the American Heart Association.

The Age/Yahoo comments on "another bodily trait might also have helped transform Phelps into the perfect, indefatigable swimming machine. In sixth grade, the Maryland native was diagnosed with Attention Deficit and Hyperactivity Disorder and prescribed Ritalin to curb his near boundless energy.

After growing frustrated with the drowsiness caused by the drug, Phelps turned to sport, where the symptoms that so agitated teachers greatly impressed coaches.

"I had so many outlets for energy release. I'd go from a lacrosse game to a baseball game to swim practice," he wrote."

We all want our heroes to be perfect but they never are. Their biggest strength however lies in overcoming their own shortcomings and giving inspiration for millions around the world to do the same.

Clinical Cases Blog
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 6,085 • Replies: 13

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 06:35 pm
Does this mean that anybody that may wish to challenge Phelps will have to have the same syndrome?
Izzie

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 06:44 pm
@Miller,
Gosh.... My eldest went and saw the orthopaedic consultant and my immunologist re Marfan Syndrome. We had never heard of it. He has humungous feet and large hands.... has very loose joints - where the vertebrae in his back pop out (nitrogen pops) and we had to stand on his back. Also something to do with his palate (wasn't too sure what that was all about). He had an MRI - but it was concuded he did not have this syndrome and was just going to be very tall with flexible joints. (his shin bones also came away from his ligaments...... (can't remember the really long medical name for that) - his bones were growing too fast for his body to keep up. He's about to turn 16 and has slowed down a wee bit now. He also has a heart murmur. No-one I know had ever heard of this syndrome. Interesting.
Miller

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 12:59 am
@cicerone imposter,
No, it doesn't.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 01:00 am
@Izzie,
There seem to be various forms of this disorder.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 01:11 am
Is there anything about diet connected with this syndrome? You should see what Phelps eats! It would lead to morbid obesity in anyone who doesn't have the massive training schedule of an Olympic swimmer.
A couple of his races were only won by a touch, so it's not like he doesn't have competition. They can't all have Marfan syndrome.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 01:22 am
I don't know about diet, but there's a connection to heart problems.
roger

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 01:25 am
@Miller,
Good thing swimming doesn't stress the heart, then.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 01:25 am
@Miller,
Apparently his parents started him swimming because of ADHD.
Miller

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 01:27 am
@Wilso,
Looks like he's been cured of that disorder.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 01:30 am
What are the blood vessel problems?

In the Marfan syndrome, the walls of the major arteries are weakened. The aorta, the major artery that leaves the heart, often is affected. When this occurs, it gets bigger (dilates), which can weaken the inner aortic wall. Under strenuous exertion, the aorta wall can tear. Blood can leak through these tears into the aortic wall, separating its layers " a process called aortic dissection. Another problem that may occur if the aortic wall weakens is that an aneurysm (AN'u-rizm) may form.

What are the cardiac valve problems?

The Marfan syndrome can involve any of the four heart valves. The two most important ones, however, are the mitral and aortic valves. Blood may leak backward through a valve, increasing the heart's workload. As a result, over time the heart may enlarge. Mitral valve prolapse (MVP) is a common but usually less significant valve problem. People without the Marfan syndrome can have mitral valve prolapse, but those with the Marfan syndrome often have an oversized mitral valve. As it closes, the valve billows (prolapses) back into the left atrium. This causes abnormal heart sounds, which a doctor can hear with a stethoscope.

How do you treat the Marfan syndrome?

Once the Marfan syndrome has been diagnosed, regular visits with a cardiologist are needed. Chest X-rays and Doppler echo tests are usually performed. Other tests also may be necessary.

Different people may need different types of treatment. Some people may not need treatment, but others may need drugs that lower heart rate, blood pressure or both. When the aorta or aortic valve develop major problems, surgery is usually advised.

People with the Marfan syndrome who have an abnormal heart or who've had heart surgery for their Marfan syndrome risk developing an infection of the heart wall or heart valve (endocarditis). This happens when bacteria enter the bloodstream. The American Heart Association no longer recommends taking routine antibiotics before certain dental procedures except for people at highest risk for bad outcomes if they develop endocarditis. This includes people with a prosthetic heart valve, people who have previously had endocarditis, people with certain types of congenital heart disease, and people with a heart transplant who develop a problem with a heart valve. The AHA no longer recommends routine antibiotics solely to prevent endocarditis in patients undergoing gastrointestinal or genitourinary procedures .

www.americanheart.org
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 07:54 am
@Miller,
The answer to your question, based on the article, appears to be "no".
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 08:03 am
@Miller,
Quote:
We all want our heroes to be perfect but they never are. Their biggest strength however lies in overcoming their own shortcomings and giving inspiration for millions around the world to do the same.

I think that says it all. I have always believed that people can channel their constitutional or personality difficulties into positive ways. In some instances, what might bring down a lesser person, can, as in the case of Phelps, bring an individual to greatness.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2008 11:19 am
It's very difficult to win gold medals unless you're some sort of freak.

It's wierd really. It's probably why football and cricket are so continuously popular. Mr Phelps would look like a stone statue in a Premier League football game.

He has to eat 12,000 calories a day to keep up so you can bet his rivals are much the same.
0 Replies