Second Life Website

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 03:52 pm
Has anyone here ever heard of this site"Second Life"? A neighbor of mine is trying to get me to join this group. I checked it out today and I think its a little strange. Any comments?

http://secondlife.com/

Second LifeĀ® is a 3-D virtual world created by its Residents. Since opening to the public in 2003, it has grown explosively and today is inhabited by millions of Residents from around the globe.

From the moment you enter the World you'll discover a vast digital continent, teeming with people, entertainment, experiences and opportunity. Once you've explored a bit, perhaps you'll find a perfect parcel of land to build your house or business.

You'll also be surrounded by the Creations of your fellow Residents. Because Residents retain intellectual property rights in their digital creations, they can buy, sell and trade with other Residents.

The Marketplace currently supports millions of US dollars in monthly transactions. This commerce is handled with the inworld unit of trade, the Lindenā„¢ dollar, which can be converted to US dollars at several thriving online Linden dollar exchanges.

Welcome to the Second Life world. We look forward to seeing you inworld.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,181 • Replies: 5

hingehead

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 04:24 pm
@Victor Murphy,
Hi Victor

the second life 'phenomena' has been tossed around in library circles for nearly two years now. Apparently one Australian academic library has bought land in there.

I'm still at a loss for the fascination, but I've never actually gone in and experienced it. Guess I'll have to so I can meaningfully bag it.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 04:26 pm
@Victor Murphy,
Secondlife is a virtual reality "Game", pretty much what it's name implies. It's a place where you can create an avatar for yourself and then go about creating a "life" for that avatar.

SecondLife has been around for a few years now and is probably one of the first and most popular sites of its type. Unlike MMORPG's and other game sites where the goal of the game is to compete/fight with other players in some fashion, the "goal" of Secondlife is simply to exist within the virtual world. It's like a multi-person online extension of The Sims.

SecondLife found it's way into the news not long ago when activities within the virtual world began to generate actual real-world wealth for some of the players who had found a way to sell some of the things they had created in the virtual world.

Many people have speculated that online virtual worlds such as SecondLife might be the precursors of a core methodology which all people will eventually use to interact with online information sources. For example, if all of the data you currently store on your computer (Documents, Spreadsheets, bank accounts, pictures, Emails etc) were available to your online avatar, then you might eventually start to use your avatar as the primary access point for all of your computer activity. This would have the effect of unifying the user interface for all functions and "virtualizing" all data storage, making everything accessible to you from wherever you had an access point (culminating in iPod style access through high speed satellite links from anywhere).

But we're not there yet. For now, SecondLife is a "second" life, not a parallel life Smile

Does that help?

0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 04:30 pm
@Victor Murphy,
I'd suggest http://www.getafirstlife.com/

Very Happy
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 04:32 pm
@fishin,
Laughing Now that's funny!

Cycloptichorn