Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 12:03 pm
@ossobuco,
Just tagged this thread

http://able2know.org/topic/120032-1

with two tags that I think could be promising; "etiquette," and "wedding."
ossobuco

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 03:39 pm
@sozobe,
I'm making my way through the original writing category in search of two of my own, starting at the back of sorting by new topics..
landagoshen, there is a vast field of possibilities for connections to be made. I've opened several posts and tagged through 25 pages now, but I've left a virtual feast untagged. Only 40 pgs more to go..

did one of yours, soz, on writing and relationships, damn, I forget the tag already. You might revisit that and improve on it, as that seems a rich one.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 03:43 pm
@sozobe,
I did those and stemmed it to "manners".
sozobe

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 03:55 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Excellent.

(Stemmed it?)

Applause to nimh and osso for all the work they've done with this. Wow!
Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 04:12 pm
@sozobe,
I'm using the term broadly (perhaps inordinately so) and it is really about word "stems" (e.g. house and household0 but here's more information:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stemming#Examples

What I mean exactly is that the tags become related to each other as they are used together. So a topic tagged apple and computers would show a relationship between the two and when you view the tag "apple" you may see related tags of "food, fruit, computers, mac".

As you guys are entering these tags, the software is learning relationships between them.
sozobe

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 04:41 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Woooooooooooww...!

That is super-cool.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 04:52 pm
@sozobe,
Sozobe, I've barely made a dent. I saw dozens and dozens in those pages, and I've still something like 35 to go, that I'd like to open and check. I left everything by edgarblythe, for example, talk about a gold mine. Lots and lots of stuff to tag-link.
old europe

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 04:57 pm
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:

Woooooooooooww...!

That is super-cool.

Geek.

<grins>
sozobe

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 04:58 pm
@old europe,
Why thank you! Very Happy
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 05:00 pm
@ossobuco,
By the way, since on original writing the primary posts are all original writing efforts, I'm adding the authors' screen names, something I'm not doing otherwise, or at least have long stopped doing otherwise. Opinions whether I should do that?
old europe

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 05:04 pm
@ossobuco,

Neutral

(Seems counterintuitive, as the information about the posters name is already attached to the threads.

I think if you later want to search for something tagged "original writing" by the poster "ossobuco", it would be more effective if that got implemented as a feature rather than going through every thread and adding the same information again as a tag....)
sozobe

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 05:04 pm
@ossobuco,
Edit: I agree with old europe.

I think names can be used for content though -- stuff about Noddy for example.

I've used "sozlet" for threads about her; have also tagged FreeDuck's about Ducklet. Haven't tagged any Mo threads yet.

Hey, is there a minimum number of letters for effective tags? I imagine one letter is out, but two for example?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 05:23 pm
@old europe,
I'm confused re this.
I'm fine with a member or family member, etc. as a subject. I've just long stopped routinely putting a thread author on my tags.... if I ever did. I'd rather use the subjects, generally speaking.

What do you mean, implemented as a feature instead of a tag? I'm primarily looking for connections in my tagging, and except for "original works", and now that I'm reminded, people as subjects, am avoiding screen names since I have other connections to make.

ossobuco

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 05:34 pm
@ossobuco,
(The hamster graphics are so cute!)

To elaborate, on Original Writing, I think the authorship of the starter post is more than ordinarily allied, part of the subject... or that's my intuition.

(I can be talked out of adding the 'author', we'll see.)

old europe

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 05:45 pm
@ossobuco,
Well, my take is that the author of a thread is already inherently linked to the thread. By virtue of being its author. The information already exists.

Tagging something "Original Writing" makes a lot of sense (because a thread can potentially be anything...), but I would say that, if you'd want to be able to go to everything tagged "Original Writing" and surf across that cluster by author, there would probably be better ways to do that than by adding the information that already exists anew in the form of a tag.

I'd see a feature like "Surf tagged threads by author" and asking Craven or Nick to pretty please implement it as way more effective than going through potentially hundreds of threads and manually labelling them...
nimh

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 05:46 pm
Can someone tag this thread with human rights, peacekeeping please?

http://able2know.org/topic/8935-1

I didn't have enough tags available..

Thank you!
Butrflynet

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 05:47 pm
@nimh,
done and good work around on the 5-tag limit.
sozobe

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 05:48 pm
@old europe,
I found a way to do that already...

Go to the person's profile (I chose edgarblythe):

Click that person's "My tags".

Choose "original writing"

et voila:

http://able2know.org/user/edgarblythe/tags/original_writing/
sozobe

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 05:48 pm
@Butrflynet,
me too..
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 05:51 pm
@sozobe,
But doesn't that only work when that poster has tagged those threads?