Hmphhh, I think I've made someones ignored list.

mac11

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 08:18 pm
@Green Witch,
GW, click on the person's name above a post. That takes you to his or her profile page. There's a button there that says "Ignore User."
Butrflynet

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 08:21 pm
@Green Witch,
Click on their name to navigate to their profile. You'll find an ignore button there.

Alternatively, if you didn't want to search out someone's post so you can click on their name, go to your own profile and in the URL replace your screenname with theirs. For example if I wanted to navigate to your profile, I'd replace
http://able2know.org/user/Butrflynet/

with
http://able2know.org/user/Green_Witch/

Be sure you use the underscore in the url for blank spaces in a screen name.
Green Witch

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 08:26 pm
@mac11,
Thanks Mac and Butterfly. I feel like Alice in Wonderland wandering around this place.
Butrflynet

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 08:30 pm
@Green Witch,
We're only half a step ahead of you and that's only because we got here a half step ahead of you. You'll find our footprints going around in circles too. If you click on the Able2Know link in the list of tags over in the box in the left column, you'll find topics and links to helpful posts about how we've all figured out how to do things. That will help you not have to repeat as much of the learning curve as we went through and are still going through. LOL

Here's a direct link in case you don't find the tag box.

http://able2know.org/tag/able2know/
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 08:42 pm
@Butrflynet,
Geez! Why did you have to go and tell her?
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 09:26 am
The problem for us more computer illiterate types is that being told once sometimes is not sufficient if there is a considerable time lapse between the tutoring and the actual application. And then there are so many threads giving advice and how to, you can't find the former answer. Plus, sometimes our techie types put the answer in such technical language that it is incomprehensible for those who don't know the language.

I still wish somebody would write an A2K for dummies manual with all the basics--how to tag, what to tag, how to edit a tag, how to set preferences, how to search, how to use the quote function, how to post a picture, how to get an avatar, how to edit your avatar, etc.--and put it in plain simple English. I bet it would be the most popular thread on A2K real fast.
JPB

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 10:20 am
@roger,
gus?
DrewDad

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 10:24 am
@Foxfyre,
So start a thread "A2K Primer" and ask for articles on each of those.

Someone will answer each one, and you can vote up the answers that make the most sense to you.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 12:03 pm
@JPB,
No.

0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 04:15 am
@Foxfyre,
Me too.
I want to be spoonfed. I just read a thread by Robert Gentel where he explains how he is tagging and omigod, I am so not doing any of that yet.

no wonder I'm not having any fun.

As for Martybarker, instead of ignoring her, I am lurking over each and every one of her posts, printing them out in large fonts and hanging them all over my walls. Many nights, deep in the darkness, I sit in my straightback chair and using a flashlight to focus on just a phrase or part of a paragraph, I read them out loud.

Joe(that should be creepy enough.)Nation
aidan

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 05:26 am
@Joe Nation,
I'm so proud of myself - I've learned how to tag- I think....

But I still don't know how to sort the topics I've tagged into any sort of logically sorted tagged things, so I don't know how tagging organizes me logically yet.
Oh well, one thing at a time.

I don't find anything THAT much different...except that I miss italics...where have they gone? I feel like I'm missing one of my favorite and most valued means of nuanced expression.

*(I also wanted to quote the last paragraph of your post Joe. I don't know how. I was gonna tell you I guffawed at that - funny - I will never, ever , ever say LOL though and there are no little laughers (emoticons- that I can see anyway) so I'll just have to tell you - the last paragraph of your post was really funny...I guffawed (or laughed out loud).

*Edited to say - I FOUND Italics....and colors....and emoticons, and the image thing - hurray! I was just gonna do an acronym and I saw that little BBCode Editor thing and I'm thinking, hmmm what's that about the BBC? and I clicked on it and voila...I think everything's here somewhere - you just have to find it.

I also think what's hard for me is that I'm so visually oriented, I can't conceptualize how all these organizational tools will make anything look. I can't conceptualize how it's supposed to look if I do it right, so I have no idea if I am or not...I guess if I hit upon something that seems to make it all easier - I'll know that's how it's supposed to be - for me anyway.

So here's the line of laughers for your last paragraph Joe...
Laughing Laughing Laughing Shocked (I added the last one - shock- because that's always been my favorite and I'm shocked that I'm actually figuring this all out,).
martybarker

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 09:11 am
I guess I'm a little lame when it comes to figuring new things out. Like the i-phone, even if it was affordable I still wouldn't get it. So the tagging will have to wait. I'm still figuring out the other stuff.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 10:28 am
@aidan,
Aidan, when you reply, note the BBCode Editor in green just above reply. Click it. It has an italics box right there, and I think it and the rest of the BBC stuff works easier than it did before. (I seem to notice a possible change, that the BBC stays on until you decide to click it off on some reply. Not positive about that, or if it does, that it is even a change, duh).
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 11:40 am
@aidan,
Aidan,

Check out the slideshow I made to demo how to use the new features on A2K. It is especially designed to give people a visual tutorial. Would appreciate your feedback on it too.

http://able2know.org/topic/121336-1#post-3372272
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 11:47 am
@margo,
Quote:
Answer =- NO - hinge is one of the Australian mafia - and he's the almost vocal one!

And marty is planning a trip to Oz - and hinge lives in a good area.....

I visited it, around 1988.

David
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 11:51 am
@Joe Nation,
That answers a lot, Joe. Thanks.

Tico(double-locking my doors tonight)Maya
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 11:52 am
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:

What happens if I put myself on ignore I wonder? Would I disappear from my own view forever?

Someone asked that before, forget who, and Craven answered as pithily as hilariously: "been there, done that, made sure it couldnt ever happen again". I can just imagine how much trouble it may have cost him getting out of that one! Razz
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 12:05 pm
@martybarker,
Quote:
Seriousy, how do you feel about the ignore user option?
Do you like it, find it to be possibly useful?

I have used it on a couple of guys
who have given evidence of hostile mental disturbance expressed in obscene language.

I don 't need more anger in my life.

Whether u r face-to-face or online,
a modicum of politeness is reasonably to be expected.

However, I deem it just fine for anyone to put ME on Ignore User for any reason or for no reason.
If anyone prefers to not interact with me (which certainly IS the case) we shoud proceed that way.
I believe in laissez faire freedom,
not in anyone being forced to associate with anyone who he prefers to avoid.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 12:11 pm
@caribou,
Quote:
. . . It gives me a chance to express my opinion without feeding the troll....

Can we get a precise definition of " troll " as used here ?

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 12:20 pm
@Foxfyre,
Quote:
The problem for us more computer illiterate types is that being told once sometimes is not sufficient if there is a considerable time lapse between the tutoring and the actual application. And then there are so many threads giving advice and how to, you can't find the former answer. Plus, sometimes our techie types put the answer in such technical language that it is incomprehensible for those who don't know the language.

I still wish somebody would write an A2K for dummies manual with all the basics--how to tag, what to tag, how to edit a tag, how to set preferences, how to search, how to use the quote function, how to post a picture, how to get an avatar, how to edit your avatar, etc.--and put it in plain simple English. I bet it would be the most popular thread on A2K real fast.

BRAVO !
YES !

David
0 Replies