Mario Kart Wii Forum

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2008 06:19 pm
Anyone else here play Mario Kart Wii? I stopped playing video games for a few years but got a Wii for the family, when I tried out an old favorite in Mario Kart I loved it all over again.

Anyone here play this game?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 4,929 • Replies: 18

FreeDuck

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2008 06:47 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Mario Kart is my all time favorite game. We played it (my son and I) on the Game Cube and the DS. We dont have it for the Wii yet but it is on our list. Do you have the little steering wheel remote thingy? It looks like so much fun.

Have you played with someone remotely yet? We share Miis with my brothers family (missing apostrophe, please excuse) and I thought it would be a blast to play Mario Kart with them.

Tell me about it! Right now the Fit is number 1 on my list with MK number 2. I might have to move it up.
Robert Gentel

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2008 06:54 pm
@FreeDuck,
Quote:
Mario Kart is my all time favorite game. We played it (my son and I) on the Game Cube and the DS.

Same here, but for me what I most liked was Mario Kart on super nintendo. My brother and I used to do the balloon battle mode for hours. The cool thing about Mario Kart on the Wii is that they have all the best "retro" tracks and courses.

Quote:
Do you have the little steering wheel remote thingy?

Not really, I find I can't steer well using the wheel.

Quote:
Have you played with someone remotely yet?

Yeah, actually mostly has been with Nick (the programmer guy here). He gets his ass handed to him so if anyone else wants to put up some decent competition let me know.

Quote:
Tell me about it! Right now the Fit is number 1 on my list with MK number 2. I might have to move it up.

These are the only games I bought for the Wii so far. After the first few days nobody uses Wii Fit here but I still play MK every week or so (haven't for a few but have been traveling).
FreeDuck

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2008 07:33 pm
@Robert Gentel,
We play Fit at my brothers house. We like to get drunk and take the balance test.

When we got our Wii we got the usual Wii Sports and was really been enough for us for a long time. We can really do the bowling for hours and it is a very social game. The best part is that the kids are really good at it. The reigning queen is my 5-year-old niece who beats everyone consistently. We also got Wii Play -- it has a billiards game that is also fun to play while drinking (sensing a theme yet?) -- but just for us grown ups and mostly just for the awe factor (how the hell did they program it to account for the english?!?!).

I never had a super nintendo -- there is a big gap in my video game history between Atari and Game Cube -- but I am interested in checking out the retro courses. I get a kick out of that stuff.

So if the wheel doesnt add any value then I think I will go ahead and rent MK at Blockbuster and check it out. I was worried it wouldnt be as much fun without the steering action.
Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2008 02:29 am
@FreeDuck,
Quote:
We play Fit at my brothers house. We like to get drunk and take the balance test.

I think the ski mini game is ok, but I want them to make something like a surfing game with the balance board.

Quote:
When we got our Wii we got the usual Wii Sports and was really been enough for us for a long time.

Same here, the tennis mini game was all I used the Wii for till Mario Kart.

Quote:
We also got Wii Play

Is that the one that comes bundled with a controller or something and has a ping pong mini game? If so, that's the only other Wii game I'm interested in right now (really not much of a gamer).
FreeDuck

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2008 07:39 am
@Robert Gentel,
Quote:
I think the ski mini game is ok, but I want them to make something like a surfing game with the balance board.

I also like the hoola hoop exercises. A surfing game would be a blast. I havent played enough to unlock the other games so I dont know what else they have there.

Quote:
Is that the one that comes bundled with a controller or something and has a ping pong mini game? If so, that's the only other Wii game I'm interested in right now (really not much of a gamer).

Yep, thats the one, and in fact why we bought it -- it was roughly the same price as the controller by itself at the time. Ping pong is hard but fun. There is also a fun shooting game on there. It runs a clear second to Wii Sports but we do play it pretty often. And yeah, you can probably tell Im not much of a gamer either. I love the Wii for bridging that gap between kid and adult games.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 10:10 am
I am currently addicted.
I suck at the same courses I sucked at before.
But am thrilled at some of the new features. Like the bullet.

I love being the bullet.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 10:13 am
@FreeDuck,
Made a new top score in Bowling the other night - 271!!!!!

Best ever.

Mario Kart Wii is good, but I was hoping for a bigger improvement over previous versions; it doesn't seem like they changed all that much.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Nick Ashley

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 10:36 am
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

Yeah, actually mostly has been with Nick (the programmer guy here). He gets his ass handed to him so if anyone else wants to put up some decent competition let me know.

Hey now, I'll admit defeat in time trials mode (we're to the point where you have to pick the best weight class/vehicle for the particular course, then nail the shortcuts just right. I'm stubborn and enjoy my middleweight, power-sliding style of racing)

However, my ass is firmly intact as far as battle mode and racing is concerned. I'm not sure who has won more events in either of these, but we can't be ore then a couple wins apart. Try your super-heavyweight racer when I've got a red shell in my possession!
Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 11:03 am
@Nick Ashley,
Quote:
Hey now, I'll admit defeat in time trials mode...

Well it wasn't just any defeat, I have the records among our friends in every single race. That is a blowout. ;-)
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 11:08 am
@Robert Gentel,
That's dominance!

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Nick Ashley

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 11:37 am
@Robert Gentel,
Yes, but I have a life

standard losers response.. does that fly? If not, how about this:
Well yes, but the international version of the game is far easier then the US version. Its, uhh.. a fact.
Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 11:39 am
@Nick Ashley,
Hey, I didn't spend much more time on it than you till I started coming close to the all records mark. Then I did (I wanted all the records), but I haven't played since.

But the real truth is that it's not that hard to do it among three friends who aren't big gamers.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 04:53 pm
Mario Kart the menace
http://img391.imageshack.us/img391/8858/mariogg7.jpg
Nick Ashley

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 05:05 pm
@Robert Gentel,
lol - nice

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music."
- Kristin Wilson, Nintendo, Inc., 1989

Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 05:41 pm
@Nick Ashley,
http://goonfleet.com/imagehosting/1353847526801bdcc1.jpg
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 07:19 am
@Robert Gentel,
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

Razrez

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 07:52 am
@Robert Gentel,
That article is freaking cool! ha! I'm going to have to go buy some bananas for my drive home tonight Wink

I bought mario kart for my girlfriend for her birthday and she loves it. People are probably thinking - for your girlfriend huh, riiight buddy lol. It's true though, she'd wanted it for a long time. We actually both like the wheel though I have yet to try out the alternative way. I'm definitely not as good as I was with the old one but I'm sure with a little more time I could tear it up again.

Funny part is that I had no idea how hard it would be to get a hold of. I was trying to buy it mid july and I could not find it at any stores in town. I ended up calling every store in my area of the state, and then after some searching on line I realized that buying it retail was just not going to happen. Sold Out.

I was stunned since I'd never tried to buy anything for the Wii before. I was lucky enough to find one on ebay that wasn't highly priced and had it in time for her birthday. It was quite the adventure finding it since I don't usually buy anything off of ebay.

At Best Buy the guys there claim that Nintendo was 'admitting to saturating the EU market' and that it would be much more available here in august. For a few days of searching I was bummed though thinking I'd either have to settle for something else or her present would be late. Ebay made me a champ though heh.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2008 03:32 pm
Real-life Mario Kart...

0 Replies