capitalism: does it foster ruthlessness?

OGIONIK

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2008 01:21 pm
Im not saying robbery, or theft..

Im talking about hustling, tricking people out of their money.
From the carsalesmens high-pressure tactics, to the governments use of force for not paying that ticket.

Heres an example.

My uncle doesnt have money to re-register his car or something, so they begin charging him 10 dollars a day he hasnt reistered it.

HE DOESNT HAVE ANYMONEY, WHY ARE THEY CHARGING HIM MORE OF IT?

its nonsense. If anything they are literally forcing people into crime to pay debts and necessities of life for being poor.

can anyone counter this?

legitimately and realistically?

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2008 01:32 pm
of course it does.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2008 01:38 pm
I'm not seeing a relationship between capitalism and registering a car.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2008 01:49 pm
you dont?

not the insane late fees for not being able to pay in the first place?

that doesnt strike you as capitalistic?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2008 01:55 pm
No. I would agree that the late fees are insanely high, but I still don't see any connection between that and capitalism - or any other economic system.
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2008 03:34 pm
Chinese, Indian, capitalism is not that nasty as the capitalism of USA.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 01:43 pm
@OGIONIK,
ogionik wrote:
My uncle doesnt have money to re-register his car or something, so they begin charging him 10 dollars a day he hasnt reistered it.

HE DOESNT HAVE ANYMONEY, WHY ARE THEY CHARGING HIM MORE OF IT?

I can see that this is an example of stupidity and ruthlessness. But the stupidity and ruthlessness in your uncle's case are coming from a government agency (Department of Motor Vehicles). They aren't coming from a market, or from agents on one. So how does your story constitute a cautionary tale against capitalism, and the ruthlessness it allegedly fosters?

(EDIT: In other words, I agree with Roger. I should have put it this way in the first place.)
0 Replies

JamesMorrison

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 03:16 pm
@OGIONIK,
OGIONIK, this episode has nothing to do with capitalism...this is government regulation. Your argument would be in the realm of agitating for smaller government. Capitalism, overall, deals with supply and demand of goods and services and the proper pricing thereof.

One of the basic functions of government is regulation of transactions for the purpose of consumer protection. This is just a sub-set of government’s main function of protecting its citizens.

As a citizen of the U.S. your uncle has two choices ,legislative or economic. His legal recourse is to try to change the regulations by petitioning his state legislature for a “redress of [his] grievances” to change the offensive regulation. Good luck here, for the law doesn’t regard the ignorance thereof as an excuse. Simply, therefore, your Uncle had the responsibility to fully understand the law relative to his buying and registering the vehicle.

The economic solution is, like the basis for all economics, simple. Sell the car at a fair market price and cut his losses. This is probably not the outcome he would prefer but by not doing anything the situation becomes quickly intolerable. Plus, by selling the car he not only eliminates the problem, he will then have money.

JM
0 Replies