Intellectualism

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2008 10:02 am
For Karl Mannhiem an intellectual was not necessarily a person of education or culture, but one who could detach her or himself from their conditioning social background and 'free-float' among the social and historical perspectives available in their society.

What does anyone think about this definition? Is it 'correct'? Could it be improved upon?

pq xxx

OGIONIK

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2008 10:04 am
i think you described me in a sense.

lol, i must say i agree 100%
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2008 10:08 am
well, i think an intellectual is one who can think outside of their biological urges, and in a sense, embrace their biological ness and understand or question things.

intellectual, someone who thinks, deeply?

i just got stung in the face by a wasp, i dont think i should be doin philosophiez right now

Neutral
0 Replies

existential potential

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2008 10:37 am
I think detachment is a defining characteristic of an intellectual, and solitude. I don't mean just being on your own watching T.V. or something, I mean thinking and reading and using solitude in that way. having a capacity to appreciate various things as well, such as film, music and art.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2008 09:44 pm
i hate that intellectuals depression or whatever.

horribad.
0 Replies

existential potential

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2008 03:21 am
what are you talking about OGIONIK, "intellectuals depression"?
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2008 06:26 am
Re: Intellectualism
The Pentacle Queen wrote:
For Karl Mannhiem an intellectual was not necessarily a person of education or culture, but one who could detach her or himself from their conditioning social background and 'free-float' among the social and historical perspectives available in their society.

On the face of it, this definition doesn't seem to work for me. By any reasonable usage of words, Plato was an intellectual. But I don't see where he detaches himself from his conditioning social background. And I'm at a loss about the other prong: Does Mannheim give any names of people who don't have education and culture, but whom he considers intellectuals because they can detach themselves from their conditioning?

Maybe I need a little more context to see what Mannheim is getting at. Can you provide some?
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2008 08:28 pm
existential potential wrote:
what are you talking about OGIONIK, "intellectuals depression"?

i read somewhere the smarter someone is the less life means or something similar.

they get depressed easier or something like that
0 Replies

existential potential

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2008 11:10 am
OGIONIK, do you think you could post a link for that?
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2008 02:34 pm
My German wife is an intellual.
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2008 02:35 pm
Sorry for my English.
I have one wife who happens to be born in Germany.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2008 07:43 pm
existential potential wrote:
OGIONIK, do you think you could post a link for that?
indeed i can TRY... ill get right on it brb.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2008 10:16 pm
OGIONIK, how's the wasp doing?
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2008 07:14 pm
That made me laugh JL Laughing

PQ, the definition is fair enough...though I would call it an aspect of intellectualism (if someone considers themselves intelligent enough, they should realise how their 'intelligence' is influenced by their conditioning)
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2008 07:23 pm
During my visit to Central Asia last May, I learned about Tamerlane who at one time controlled the lands of Asia and Europe. Tamerlane was considered an intellectual, but never learned to read or write. He was a military strategist in the same league as Genghis Khan and Alexander the Great.

I think there's a difference between intelligence and intellectual; I think intelligence is the ability to make the correct judgements in one's decisions. Intellect has to do with scholarly achievement, but not necessarily the ability to make the correct judgement or decision.
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2008 07:32 pm
I like that CI.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2008 08:10 pm
I'm sure there are geniuses (as a measure of intelligence) in many ('primitive") societies who are not "intellectuals", i.e., people who work with ideas and words as a profession or social role. And I've known many such intellectuals, writers, professors, scientists who I do not consider very intelligent.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2008 08:13 pm
An intellectual is a person who cannot do anything himself, but has a lot to say about how things should be done. Very Happy
Ramafuchs

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2008 08:19 pm
@Cyracuz,
The intellectual tradition is one of servility to power,
and if I didn't betray it I'd be ashamed of myself.
Noam Chomsky
0 Replies